Confused! And adding mods on linux

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Finaltwist

Confused! And adding mods on linux

Post by Finaltwist » Tue, 16. May 23, 15:50

Hi all, I use an older laptop on linux and wanted a game to play, played vanilla a bit and would love to start an earnest game with mods, but am really confused by the list of mods and the install process.

I'm running the gog game on heroic on linux, not the steam version

There are a few mega mods which are really appealing, like LU, but man the install process is REALLY complicated. Another big modpack requires me to download a map generator , generate a map with it, save, then modify the Mao with a revised version of the map generator, then install the mod, which requires a folder outside the x3 Dir etc etc etc.

Crazy.

Is there a simple recommended modpack I can just extract to the game directory by any chance ? I'm not picky on specific mods at this point I'll gladly piggy back on another's recommendations given how complicated the process is.

Thanks for suggestions!

sanmar
x3ap

Re: Confused! And adding mods on linux

Post by sanmar » Sat, 20. May 23, 11:11

I would say that LU is a simple, recommended modpack that you just extract/install to the game directory. The only thing that's different on Linux is that you use wine to install the mod/patch/soundtrack, plus a couple of other small steps. If you describe the problem you're having then most likely someone here can help you.

Finaltwist

Post by Finaltwist » Sat, 20. May 23, 18:17

Thanks... I have, after a TON of time researching, been able to run LU. However, everything it pitch black, I can't see any asteroids or stations, they are like black shadows i cna't see... its really unplayable.

I tried the modified TSUNS file in the addon/types/ dir fix, it fixes the flares, but i still can't see anything.

I'm quite savvy with scripts, If someone can point me to where i could increase the light level in the sectors, I would be greatly appreciative.

Also, NO way to run mayhem that i could find... tried installing it all, but it crashes on load - likely because it requires the galaxy generator .exe to play the game and I don't want to run a VM to play the gam e(computer not powerful enough).

Finding out how to increase brightness in game would be much appreciated... X3TC X3AP work fine an di can see there so its obviously somehting in LU....

sanmar
x3ap

Post by sanmar » Sun, 21. May 23, 09:46

That's unfortunate. I haven't seen that particular bug and I can't be much help, I'm afraid. If regular X3AP works fine then we can probably rule out graphics card drivers and other non-X3 related issues. My best guess would be a broken install of X3LU. It seems very unlikely that you need to adjust anything with X3LU as it's just as bright as the regular game.

Did you do the install exactly like this:
1. Have a new, completely clean install of x3ap without the bonus pack
2. Copy the clean install to a new directory (for example /games/x3lu)
3. Create an empty X3AP.exe in the game folder (touch /games/x3lu/X3AP.exe)
4. Since you're running the GOG version you should delete addon/t/gamestarts.pck (if present) according the the instructions
5. Install main LU mod (wine LitcubesUniverseV1.7.1.exe) to the base game folder (/games/x3lu)
6. Install patch 1.7.2 to the game folder (wine LitcubesUniversePatchV1.7.2.exe)
7. To get music you must install the soundtrack (wine LUSoundtrackV1.2.1.exe), convert the mp3's in /games/x3lu/soundtrack to .ogg format and then rename them back to mp3, but music is less important right now.
8. Run the game

Not trying to say you did anything wrong, but I don't have any better ideas and that's what I would try first.

Finaltwist

Post by Finaltwist » Sun, 21. May 23, 17:34

tried to do a brand new install as suggested, issue remains. I assume its because I don't have a dedicated GPU and am using open source drivers (?) ... I am having the same issue as the linux support thread explains here viewtopic.php?f=93&t=335500&p=5188179#p5188179 so i posted there in case anyone has any suggested approaches.

Game is playable so not going to complain too too much

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”