X3: TC Cockpit Callback mod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 05:26

Yeah, it is a bit of an immersion breaker feeling like you're just a pair of eyes stuck to the nose of a ship
Rawr.

serenitynow
x3

Post by serenitynow » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 06:14

Khaak_Slayer wrote:Yeah, it is a bit of an immersion breaker feeling like you're just a pair of eyes stuck to the nose of a ship
Argh...exactly!

Anyway, I also wanted to say I would gladly pay money for a cockpit add-on. I would hope that there would be new cockpit designs for most ships, or at least have a few more designs from the old ones and maybe some better looking textures on them (not that the old ones look terrible, but it would be nice).

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:05

Yeah, and with some of the more advanced rendering technology, it would be great. I loved how in X2, transmissions would show up on monitors all over the bridges of the capital ships. And how system information would be integrated into the cockpit models themselves.
Rawr.

DCurrahee

Post by DCurrahee » Mon, 20. Oct 08, 07:34

Yea cockpits are essential for immersion. I loved having the giant ships have a full deck that you could look around in. Just made travel all the more fun to be able to 'look out the window'

Would I pay money for them? I just paid money, and from the community interest in the previous cockpit mod I was fully expecting cockpits to be standard. Time and effort goes into any patch, and none of them reap any extra funds.

devir
x3

Post by devir » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 20:24

I had looked at every screen of TC prior to it's release and none of them showed a hint of the interface and whether there would be cockpits or not. Mostly it was all external camera shots.

Foolishly I had thought, since Cockpits were "that important" to post on the front page as a "bonus" update waaaay back soon after X3R was released, that maybe, just maybe they would have made cockpits. But sorely I was wrong. I hated when Wing commander 4(?) went the full screen no cockpit route. I hated when it all of the sudden became the cool thing to do was to spurn the old cockpit.

It's somehow an Irony, or just a pickup where car games like GT and Forza strive to make realistic cockpits for ALL their cars. And each car has it's own interior. Granted now that takes time, extreme time. Especially with 900+ cars GT5 is slated to have.

Now X3TC has roughly 90+ ships in the game. A lot of them variations of each other, Buster sentinal, Buster hauler... So the cockpits can at least be somewhat similar for the variations.

But the bottom line is cockpits are important and I am seeing tons of posts by registered users on this regard. The means paying customers believe cockpits are important to them.

Some are even foolishly willing to pay for a cockpit expansion. It would be like buying a car without the Dashboard, which is offered as a package option.

The Terran ships, and stations all look sweet. The deal would be perfect if we had cockpits to look out of without having to fully rely on the mod community.

Personally I couldn't play X3R without the cockpit mod, and I find TC difficult to play without this seemingly minor, yet extremely important detail.

psykaholik
x2

Post by psykaholik » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 20:59

aaah yeah, ye good olde cockpit discussion. until cockpits are available, the game in its current status is nothing more than a betaversion.
a first-person shooter without weapons - a rts without textures - an adventure without plot - like a science fiction game without the possibility being inside a ship - without the possibility to experience the science component.

i dont think that they would use a menu like this in spacecrafts. and i am in a spacecraft, am i? i dont think so. crap.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 21:51

[mod-hat on]
Is there actually any point in discussing in this Forum whether there should or should not be cockpits? I thought that here the focus should be in finding persons, like Arkblade, willing and able to make such mod, and solutions to the technical problems within making such mod.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

JoeDawson8
x3

Post by JoeDawson8 » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 22:05

jlehtone wrote:[mod-hat on]
Is there actually any point in discussing in this Forum whether there should or should not be cockpits? I thought that here the focus should be in finding persons, like Arkblade, willing and able to make such mod, and solutions to the technical problems within making such mod.

Jlehtone,

I completely agree. The focus of this thread should be discussions about how to get this to work. One can voice opinions on whether it should be in or not in a more general forum.

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:03

I think most of us are still hoping Egosoft will see the massive numbers of people all longing for this feature and make it.

I really am a tad bored of those old X2 cockpits that are out-dated and out-technology'd by two game generations. I've seen others saying the same too.
Rawr.

Baleur
x3tc

Post by Baleur » Tue, 21. Oct 08, 23:25

Cycrow wrote:
Khaak_Slayer wrote:No disrespect intended to the developers, as i love X, and this game is looking to be very kool. But honestly, is it that hard to whip up a few cockpit models for the ships? Some modders managed it in their spare time for the last cockpit callback mod. There is high demand for them, they should have been created officially for this game and included. To be using cockpits that are several games out of date is ridiculous. I was really really hoping they would have been in this game from the start. I sincerely hope they will create some and release them in a patch, they have given other ships and things and new missions etc in patches for X3, what do they have against cockpits? Sure some people don't like them, but there is the option to not use them in that case.
i think adding cockpits for every ship would be abit too much work for a patch that wont get any extra funds
Yeah but, for example all the Boron m5's, m4's and m3's could use the same cockpit, then a new one for m6's m7's m8's, then a last third one for the capital ships.

That would be 3 cockpits per race, at the very least. The XTM mod was far larger than that, so i dont see why such a mod couldnt be done ;)

Unique cockpits for every single ship variation is obviously out of the question, but if you look at the actual meshes of the Elite, Buster, Discoverer, Nova, vanguard/raider/sentinel versions. They all have the same cockpit.
So it would make sense to have 1 unified cockpit for all of those, and save alot of time and work.
CPU: Intel i7 6300k RAM: 32gb GPU: nVidia 1070 6gb VRAM

Kiwisdofly
x4

Post by Kiwisdofly » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 02:31

Just voicing my support for bringing back cockpits. I don't mind having no cockpits for fighters, but I've actually been staying away from flying around in capital ships until I can truly sit in the captain's chair.

Remember the cockpit in the Mammoth? It was made to look like an office and you sat behind a desk - now that was immersive.

Basically, I really just want the exact same mod we had in Reunion. I don't mind not having new cockpits made for it, just exactly the same functionality we had before.

Witchy
x4

Post by Witchy » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 09:31

The stubborness of the devs not to accept the calls for cockpits reminds me of how Apple refuse to acknowledge the need for cut and past on the iPhone. Still, at least Egosoft alllow the mods :p

EDIT: To include my thanks to Arkblade
Last edited by Witchy on Thu, 23. Oct 08, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

Apollo911
x3tc

Post by Apollo911 » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 09:39

I don't really think it's stubbornness. Cockpits are a lot of work, and I for one, would much rather that time and effort be spent on other parts of the game. I don't think they really add much. I missed them in X3, but are used to them being gone now.
[ external image ]
From the darkness you must fall
Starting to mod? Watch my ship importing tutorial here here!

devir
x3

Post by devir » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 14:54

Apollo911 wrote:I don't really think it's stubbornness. Cockpits are a lot of work, and I for one, would much rather that time and effort be spent on other parts of the game. I don't think they really add much. I missed them in X3, but are used to them being gone now.
In choking on my own words here, no cockpits is "acceptable" in fighter craft. They're fast, maneuverable and need the visibility.

Try entering a large ship like a transporter or a capital ship and you will soon see just how much extra a cockpit can give you. The large ships are slow and cumbersome. It's slightly "perverted" looking to be in a Demeter transport with no cockpit. "Honey why are you flying around with that giant P**is at the bottom of the screen?"

If i can only have half of what I want, I would seriously prefer large ship cockpits and sacrifice (painfully so) the smaller ship cockpits.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 14:58

Witchy wrote:The stubborness of the devs not to accept the calls for cockpits reminds me of how Apple refuse to acknowledge the need for cut and past on the iPhone. Still, at least Egosoft alllow the mods :p

EDIT: To include my thanks to Arkblade
i think u'll find its more to do with money and resources than stubborness

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 21:27

This thread started as request/idea for a mod: "Cockpits". Arkblade has started to work on that idea. See his mod. So the OP request has been answered.

The rest of this thread is a discussion that does not belong to this S&M forum. It is not even a novel discussion, so there is no point to move it elsewhere either.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”