Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 20528 on topic
|Posted: Tue, 14. Oct 08, 12:58 Post subject: Welcome to Scripting and Modding - Please read these rules
|Hi, and welcome,
The #1 Rule for S&M
If you download a script or mod or utility from any S&M forum you will have downloaded it from a specific thread, if you have any questions or queries about installing, using or playing the script or mod you have 2 choices:-
1. post in the thread you got the script from/you have a question over
2. Create a new thread and have it locked
General Forum Behaviour, for all members including moderators and admins
Please respect all the rules in order to make your stay here an enjoyable one for yourself and all other users
1. Absolutely no one is to use abuse of a personal nature against another forum member. If you are offended by another users' post or conduct, try to contact that user directly to peacefully resolve the issue. In most cases a single PM can solve misunderstandings quickly. If you do not succeed, please contact a moderator for assistance.
2. Mild swearing is permitted. Minors do use these boards. Please bear that in mind. A 'swear filter' is in place on these forums, but users who consistently rely on it in their posts will be warned against doing so.
3. Images, links or any other content that other forum users may find obscene or offensive, will not be tolerated. This includes but is not limited to sexism, racism, incitement to violence and extreme religious and political views. Users breaking this rule will be dealt with severely.
4. Any form of commercial advertising will not be tolerated (except by us, obviously).
5. Any discussion or links to "Warez", illegal software or sites with content that is not in line with the law of the host country AND the posting country will not be tolerated. This is not limited to the X game series.
6. Spam will not be tolerated. Please also ensure that when posting a new thread, your topic title is relevant and not just an 'attention grabber' i.e. HELLLPPPP!!!!!
7. Signatures should total no larger than 600 pixels wide and 150 pixels high, including all images and text. This means you can have up to 6 lines of text maximum or an image up to 150 pixels high, but not both. Avatars are limited to 80 x 80 pixels. The total combined size for both signature and avatar should not exceed 50kb.
8. Images posted should not exceed 640 x 480 and 100kb in size
9. Discussion of any action taken by the site in relation to a user (i.e. a banning or a warning) is not permitted. This includes discussions about locked topics.
10. We have an excellent FAQ. You can link search here or perform a detailed search here. 'Bumping' (replying to a thread not discussed since a long time ago) of old or out of date topics is not encouraged.
11. Links to 3rd party websites containing material or content posted by a banned user are not permitted and may be removed at the discretion of a site administrator and moderator. Owners of 3rd party sites should therefore be aware that a user may affect their site and should ensure that reciprocal action is be taken if required or asked.
12. When you download a script or mod from the Scripting and Modding forum post any questions, problems or comments in relation to that script/mod in the thread you got it from. Do Not create a new topic for them.
Forum User Agreement
While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any Hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
By using these forums you agree to be bound by these conditions.
Both a moderator and a site admin is within their rights to ask you for your game's forum registration. This will not reveal personal information, and as such, failure to provide this on demand without any reasonable explanation may be dealt with severely.
Queries or complaints
For a question or complaint about the forum, your forum account, or another user, please contact your relevant moderator.
For a question about your game registration or complaint about a moderator, please contact the site admin.
Special notes for the "Scripts & Modding" Forum:
Here you can find or design scripts and other mods to change your game.
If you are borrowing another user's or person's work in your own, please ensure you have permission to do so in advance of publishing, and please also ensure that you give credit where credit is due!
Extra rules for the Scripting & Modding Forum
1. Posting new threads with questions in relation to an existing active topic : USE that thread.
2. Posting topics that have nothing to do with Scripts and Modding : Don't do it!
3. Trolling the forum with "all community scripts are cheats" posts is not acceptable, this includes any other forum on this site.
4. "This threads is gonna get locked" or "here come the keys" posts. Shhhh or PM a moderator
5. Use of other authors scripts or mods in your own work from any Egosoft product without the authors permission is not allowed and will be regarded as breaching piracy rules, links will be removed and posts locked. This work is the property of the author and permission must be gained and provided to a moderator on request.
6. Cheats questions go in the TC Cheat Stickie
Any dispute should primarily be resolved between the two parties via PM, Moderators will not get involved unless there is a blatant breach of Rule 5 which is evidenced to them via PM after this discussion has taken place.
Request: Please add to your posts when offering scripts and mods a simple Yes/No to if your work can be used by other scripters or modders with credit. This should be done via a new post in thread thread that must not be edited once posted
Quick Tips for new visitors to S+M
For a more detailed explanation please see the other sticky threads for Activating the Script Editor, Cycrows Plugin Manager for issues with installing .spk files, you don't need to read past the first post in any of those threads.
If you are after a simple hack or cheat there is very little chance they are not contained within the Cheat Scripts sticky and all questions and requests must be posted in that thread or you will find a large baying mob hoping to burn you and your thread to death (I need cash quick, i want free ships, i want god mode for example).
There is also no need to bump your thread back to the top of the forum to say thank you for any help you have got (although it's always nice to be polite), you can simply press "edit" on one of your previous posts and put the thankyou in there. This is not a rule but at busy times it could clog up the frontpage of S+M. This also applies to threads you have created without replies, please don't bump just edit your previous post with any extra info.
The Script Editor
Please note that this powerful tool is provided for your use as is. Script writing and accompanied problems are NOT supported by Egosoft or any betatesters/volunteers.
enter the menu to change your pilot's name
type Thereshallbewings (note the capital T) and press enter
the menu will close, your player name will NOT have been changed, and a confirmation beep will sound on correct activation
you will now find the "Script Editor" menu item in the command console
Troubleshooting if you can't open the SE
1. Have you changed your pilot name, not your ship name
2. Make sure you are not docked
3. Have you used a capital T
Note that the publication of the Script Editor access code by no means forces you to use it. The editor is an advanced and most importantly optional feature.
If you are not into script programming of any sort you are advised not to try to alter any scripts without first accepting you may fubar your game.
Once opened the script editor can never be closed in your save game, A new start is required
99.9% of script & mod users care not about this but some of you may do.
If you have downloaded a script/mod and it seems not to work make sure you have followed the following 5 steps to happiness :-
1. Have you enabled the script editor by typing "Thereshallbewings" as your Pilot name? (Read The Activating The X3 Script Editor Sticky for more help)
2. Have you read the guides that are stickied on this forum
3. If the script is an AL Plugin have you saved your game after installing it and then reloaded to check if the AL Plugin settings are showing up?
4. Have you posted your problem in the thread which you got the script from?
5. Are you positive you have installed the files to the correct folders?
6. Have you ignored all these tips and posted a new thread regardless?
#6 is not advised
7. Where has my post gone
If you post and it disappears it is more than likely that it has been merged into another thread because you failed to follow the above advice or something along those lines. If you go to your forum profile page and click the link that says "Show all posts by this user (you)" you will find your post quite easily.
My Scripts | MY X3TC Scripts | X3 Plugin Manager | Custom Gui