EnglishGermanFrenchRussianPolishItalianSpanish

[X3:TC] Destroyer Poll
View previous topic :: View next topic

Which do you think is the best M2 and why?
Terran Osaka
37%
 37%  [ 23 ]
Boron Ray
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Argon Titan
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Paranid Odysseus
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Teladi Phoenix
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Split Python
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
OTAS Boreas
33%
 33%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 62

Roger L.S. Griffiths

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 13:48    Post subject: [X3:TC] Destroyer Poll Reply with quote Print

I have finally reached the stage where all races in TC will let me buy any of their ships so I thought it was time for a poll on the best M2s.

I currently have an OTAS Boreas myself and love it for picking off Ks and Js but I am tempted to go for an Osaka despite it being slower.

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams
dalin80

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

osaka for the looks.

summon_libre

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Osaka looks like it's made of Lego. Sad

Xenon K would be my favourite destroyer though, if they wern't so damn impossible to capture...

TBV

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

In order to give you an opinion I'd have to have tried them all.

I currently only have an Osaka, which seems ok apart from it being necessary to man the turrets myself to get the PSPs to work effectively.

So maybe a bit early for a "best" destroyer poll.

Demolisher 2

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The Paranid Odysseus - very powerful ship, good shields (8GJ) good speed, excellent handling, huge forward firepower, great weapons generator, can mount the PSG. Good turret coverage. It does have friendly fire issues though.

Oh, it is VERY VERY expensive though, so make sure it gets adequate fighter screening.

This signature is here because it makes my posts look longer and therefore makes me seem like I know what I am talking about - which I do, honest! Wink For example, the Ray is the best M2 and a Falcon always beats the other M3s, see!

Hey, now that TC is out the Ray does seem to be one of the best M2's. Maybe I had better change my sig...
Necrosexual

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I hate the Odysseus for the reason that it absorbs incoming fire like a sponge because of it's giant spoon like shape it just scoops up everything shot at it.

The Python would have gotten higher marks if it retained it's X:R capabilities.
Sadly it has no more fighter defense and a destroyer that can't fend off fighters will get the lowest approval.

The Osaka has the ultimate anti fighter weaponry and it's PSP kill most things in 1-2 shots, with manual control of course. But one thing that annoys me is that it has all these engines and is so damn slow. the Tokyo has one of these "engine blocks" and a speed of 87 whilst the Osaka has 4 of these "engine blocks" with a speed of 54.

I would use the Boreas if it didn't look like it had a giant Ant head on the front.

Roger L.S. Griffiths

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Necrosexual wrote:
I hate the Odysseus for the reason that it absorbs incoming fire like a sponge because of it's giant spoon like shape it just scoops up everything shot at it.

The Python would have gotten higher marks if it retained it's X:R capabilities.
Sadly it has no more fighter defense and a destroyer that can't fend off fighters will get the lowest approval.

The Osaka has the ultimate anti fighter weaponry and it's PSP kill most things in 1-2 shots, with manual control of course. But one thing that annoys me is that it has all these engines and is so damn slow. the Tokyo has one of these "engine blocks" and a speed of 87 whilst the Osaka has 4 of these "engine blocks" with a speed of 54.

I would use the Boreas if it didn't look like it had a giant Ant head on the front.

I thought the Boreas was modelled after a GM Cow Very Happy

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

Saber15

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

You're missing the Pirate/Yaki capital ships. Razz
I love the Brigantine.

Aetius

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Definitely the Osaka, with the Boreas probably a close second (I'm really not a fan of the Boreas' forward section's looks).

Poobah

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

The Odin got kicked out of X3:TC?

VentAileron

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

no Terran Tyr? 8 guns up front, 12 guns at left and right. That's 20 PSPs firing at a single target. Compare that to the Osaka which has 8 guns front, 8 guns left and right, with a total of 16. 4 PSPs more! C'mon!

Osaka it is then, only drawback it its weird shape and its engine blocks eating incoming fire. SSC are awesome and I've my own way of not cheating too bad to get them in my no-pre-build-SSC forge game.

gman343

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

It's definitely a toss up between the Osaka and the Boreas. Nothing else seems to come close.

The Boreas is pretty ridiculous not only in it's anti-fighter capability and low profile--making it fairly hard to hit--but you can load PPC's almost anywhere on that thing. If you fill up the back turret with PPC's you can singlehandedly do the xenon patrol missions, just run away and man the back turrets as the Xenon follow you.

However, I truly dislike the appearance of it. Everything about it seems unneccesary and clunky. It makes me think of what people from the 1930's probably thought spaceships would look like.

I love the Osaka because it is razor thin and has 12 GJ shields. With the thiness of that design you can dodge fire from any oncoming destroyer with ease. However, equipping it is obnoxious. If we could build our own terran factories, it'd be a whole different story. But in my own game there is no way of obtaining Terran flak turrets other than wiping out Xenon sectors. So far I've gotten 12 after clearing Xenon sectors maybe 20-25 times.

I have to go with the Osaka as my own personal ship. I like using the Boreas to back me up or to patrol really hostile sectors, but not as my flagship.

Also, I love all the Terran ships...except the Yokohama. So maybe I'm a bit biased, but they're great designs.

Aetius

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

mufassa wrote:
The Odin got kicked out of X3:TC?

The Odin is a carrier, not a destroyer.

VentAileron wrote:
no Terran Tyr? 8 guns up front, 12 guns at left and right. That's 20 PSPs firing at a single target. Compare that to the Osaka which has 8 guns front, 8 guns left and right, with a total of 16. 4 PSPs more! C'mon!

Osaka it is then, only drawback it its weird shape and its engine blocks eating incoming fire. SSC are awesome and I've my own way of not cheating too bad to get them in my no-pre-build-SSC forge game.

I was pretty sure that the Tyr had less weapon energy than the Osaka, which is perplexing. The same with the Odin and the Tokyo. Maybe I'm wrong. If it had more, I'd want one.

Demolisher 2

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Necrosexual wrote:

It does take some skill to fly. If you are using the Odysseus you will find you need to use different tactics than the other destroyers to evade fire.

This signature is here because it makes my posts look longer and therefore makes me seem like I know what I am talking about - which I do, honest! Wink For example, the Ray is the best M2 and a Falcon always beats the other M3s, see!

Hey, now that TC is out the Ray does seem to be one of the best M2's. Maybe I had better change my sig...
Roger L.S. Griffiths

MEDALMEDALMEDAL

PostPosted: Sat, 8. Nov 08, 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Saber15 wrote:
You're missing the Pirate/Yaki capital ships. Razz
I love the Brigantine.

I have not seen them yet... perhaps I will have to cap one later.... I dont think the Yaki like me after all the pals of theirs I have killed. Oh well, a point singularity up their backsides might help Twisted Evil