We have to stop egosoft from f-ing up X3:TC like they did X3:R...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ouch
x3tc

We have to stop egosoft from f-ing up X3:TC like they did X3:R...

Post by ouch » Fri, 1. Aug 08, 21:59

Here is a list of things that HAVE to be fixed. This is like a list of the bare minimum requirements needed for X3:TC not to completely tick off the community once more.

1. The massive slowdowns when destroyers and carriers toss out the slow moveing projectiles by the hundreds needs to be fixed. What point is building a huge fleet when you can't ever be in sector to watch them?

2. The insanely large differences of insector combat and out of sector combat must be fixed! I cannot stress this one enough! It's no fun haveing to equip ships for in sector combat and out of sector combat. Nothing makes you madder than buying a brand new ship you spent hours to get and equip, get blown away OOS by a pirate that it detroyed in seconds when you were in the sector.

3. The AI really needs to be fixed. Again, buying this huge ship you spent months to get only to have it fly into the first astroid it sees (or doesn't see) coming out of the yard really needs to be fixed.

4. The combat AI needs an overhaul as well. They don't make intelligent decisions when makeing runs at capital ships. And they don't dogfight at all when they are evenly classed.

That ends the must fix list. but the optional stuff follows:

1. I really miss cockpits. I understand it costs a lot to make them, but I think they really pay off by adding so much to the experience. Besides, this flying camera crap is getting pretty old.

2. The station docking is pretty lame as well. X2 had it right creating the indoor models of stations. I know it was bit buggy but, it really added to the game. Even the old in game cut scene style docking of XBTF would be tons better than X3:R's boreing external docking clamps.

3. I Miss the planetary rings of XBTF, Some mods brought them back in X3:R and I really think they made the sectors more interesting to fly by.

4. Call me old fasioned, but I really liked that camera drone that launched from your ship in XBTF too. Just added that extra touch of detail...

5. I always thought missiles should have to lock on like in most combat flight sims. This would give you a chance to avoid a barrage of missiles. It might be a relatively minimal chance like in most of the combat flight sims, but a chance none the less.

6. There also needs to be missile counter-measures. Chaffs, flares, Dedicated anti-missile turret hardpoints, just something! The main turrets just don't cut it when they have heavier weapons installed.
Please fix the AI Egosoft! I'm sick of losing ships(doesn't matter what class) when they fly into what they are attacking! This occurs even if the object is stationary and doesn't have any protrusions.(Like a pirate base) It's just sad, and it totally ruins the entire concept of the series!

fiksal
x4

Re: We have to stop egosoft from f-ing up X3:TC like they did X3:R...

Post by fiksal » Fri, 1. Aug 08, 22:12

ouch wrote: We have to stop egosoft from f-ing up X3:TC like they did X3:R...
what in the world are you on?

if you want a real discussion then

1. I dont get massive slowdowns, and my computer is 2 years old

2. OOS combat needs better formula

3. Collision avoidance is complex. In the mean time - they could enlarge the sector.

4. Vs Capital ships - yes. But they do dogfight. People are just better.

1. I dont.
5. Why? Ship's turrets and guns lock onto target right away as well.
6. There are dedicated turrets. It's just there are too few turrets. Even capital ships prefer to have only a few turrets and stick every gun possible into those turrets. There's also missile defense and specialty weapons (PSGs, IDs, IREs)
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 1. Aug 08, 22:34

ouch wrote:Here is a list of things that HAVE to be fixed.
1. How do you know the problems of a game that has not been released yet? If you really do know the problems, what did your NDA say?

2. Have you noticed the proposed release date of X3:TC? Then you can guess the schedule of "feature freeze".

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Fri, 1. Aug 08, 23:01

5. I always thought missiles should have to lock on like in most combat flight sims. This would give you a chance to avoid a barrage of missiles. It might be a relatively minimal chance like in most of the combat flight sims, but a chance none the less.
While this seems realistic. In real life, right now. There is no 'lock on' time. With Sidewinders, there is no lock required, it's own internal guidance will guide the missle, but you can send location info to it early to help it in the beginning stages. With the best Air to Air missile made, the AMRAAM, if you have established a radar track, you upload that to your missile (In the blink of an eye) then you deploy the missile. Actually, with the AMRAAM you can have 'your' radar OFF, and one of your wingmen's avionics can guide the missle. If both of those fail, the AMRAAM has an internal guidance system as well.

The whole "Lock on" thing is a movie generated fallacy. The truth is, it is possible for an F15, to track and engage multiple Hostiles. Meaning firing a separate missile at each, (This is rarely encouraged though). This can be done in X3:Reunion with the mouse and Keyboard setup.

Now, there are certain positions where you can be relative to your opponent, where the missile is much more likely, or guaranteed to hit. IE. Head on Pass, On the Tail, or Pulling Lead. But, the whole "Beep, Beep, Beep BOOOOOP" missile launch. Hollywood Bullspit.

What are needed in the game are COUNTERMEASURES. So that M3's with no turret, and M4's have a CHANCE against a missile. Without manually shooting it down, which is difficult when engaging upwards of 8 hostiles.

I would also like to see ECM's and "Stealthy" measures. Obviously only M5's should carry the best ECM's or maybe one or two M4's You should be able to switch off your radars and "Go Passive" And it makes you not show up on their radar until you are much closer. (Mechwarrior had this, and it was very fun to plan ambushes with)

Draakon

Post by Draakon » Fri, 1. Aug 08, 23:54

1. The massive slowdowns when destroyers and carriers toss out the slow moveing projectiles by the hundreds needs to be fixed. What point is building a huge fleet when you can't ever be in sector to watch them?

What computer you even use? Vanilla game runes good on Intel Celeron 2.00 GHZ CPU, 512 MB ram and 9600 Ati Radeon. Thought the mods make me lag which aren't the developers concern.

2. The insanely large differences of insector combat and out of sector combat must be fixed! I cannot stress this one enough! It's no fun haveing to equip ships for in sector combat and out of sector combat. Nothing makes you madder than buying a brand new ship you spent hours to get and equip, get blown away OOS by a pirate that it detroyed in seconds when you were in the sector.

That is the beauty of X Universe. If it is so easy to get money when you have basic economy set up, why shouldn't it be easy for AI to destroy your ships in either OOS or IS

3. The AI really needs to be fixed. Again, buying this huge ship you spent months to get only to have it fly into the first astroid it sees (or doesn't see) coming out of the yard really needs to be fixed.

I don't have any problems with AI. And if it does crash into asteroid it was because AI can see as much as we can (even the autopilot) as they don't have passive sensors installed.

1. I really miss cockpits. I understand it costs a lot to make them, but I think they really pay off by adding so much to the experience. Besides, this flying camera crap is getting pretty old.

One cockpit mod comes with 2.02 installation.

2. The station docking is pretty lame as well. X2 had it right creating the

This is sci-fi we are talking about. In those days missiles are smart as humans.

6. There also needs to be missile counter-measures. Chaffs, flares, Dedicated anti-missile turret hardpoints, just something! The main turrets just don't cut it when they have heavier weapons installed.

There are. Like set turret to defend from missiles or use the Mosqito Missile defense.

SVAndrei
x3tc

Post by SVAndrei » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 00:08

yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:

I would also like to see ECM's and "Stealthy" measures. Obviously only M5's should carry the best ECM's or maybe one or two M4's You should be able to switch off your radars and "Go Passive" And it makes you not show up on their radar until you are much closer. (Mechwarrior had this, and it was very fun to plan ambushes with)
You know, this would actually make a fine addition to X3:R as well.

Jams79
x4

Post by Jams79 » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 02:29

1. I'm pretty sure the PPC problem was recognised as a bug and fixed, but then I always use XTM these days so I could be wrong.

2. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for the OP's tone most people would probably agree with this point, I have no problem losing kit but I do object to the disparity between IS and OOS.

3&4. Any major overhauls of the AI are just gonna make 1. worse and the combat is definately improved with the right scripts.

1. This point always starts arguments, but I agree I hate feeling like I'm strapped to the front of the pit not sitting comfortably inside it, but it ain't gonna make me not buy the game.

2-5. Much like last point this is all bumf that takes disproportionate dev time for little gain.

6. Countermeasures would be nice as would missiles that can actually catch M5's and still do damage. Anti-missile turrets can also be obtained by scripts.

Edit: Oh yeah if you make your comments in a reasonable way they are more likely to get a similar response, whereas if you rant you're more likely to just get blasted.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 03:34

yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:....
What are needed in the game are COUNTERMEASURES. So that M3's with no turret, and M4's have a CHANCE against a missile. Without manually shooting it down, which is difficult when engaging upwards of 8 hostiles.....
Which is precisely what the Missile Defense Mosquito system provides. Have you tried it? Except for the fact that it wastes missiles on fighter drones, it's a very useful system. I use it on all my personal ships, whether they have turrets or not. And the MDM system is much more effective than any 'chaff' or 'flare' system would be. Those, even in real life, have a fairly high failure rate.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 05:32

Nanook wrote:
yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:....
What are needed in the game are COUNTERMEASURES. So that M3's with no turret, and M4's have a CHANCE against a missile. Without manually shooting it down, which is difficult when engaging upwards of 8 hostiles.....
Which is precisely what the Missile Defense Mosquito system provides. Have you tried it? Except for the fact that it wastes missiles on fighter drones, it's a very useful system. I use it on all my personal ships, whether they have turrets or not. And the MDM system is much more effective than any 'chaff' or 'flare' system would be. Those, even in real life, have a fairly high failure rate.
The MDM system is passive, though. You have no control over whether it works or not. That doesn't make for good gameplay. A good countemeasure system in a game is one where you have tricks you can pull, like lining up the missile to your 3 o'clock before deploying and then breaking into its path. Or if nothing else, you can spam 15 of them when your shields are gone and ignore the missile completely when you know it won't matter.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 08:35

Gothsheep wrote:The MDM system is passive, though. You have no control over whether it works or not.
You can turn it off and on. That is the same control as chaffs have. Matter of adding hotkeys for the command, like the Afterburner does.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 08:54

yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:Now, there are certain positions where you can be relative to your opponent, where the missile is much more likely, or guaranteed to hit. IE. Head on Pass, On the Tail, or Pulling Lead. But, the whole "Beep, Beep, Beep BOOOOOP" missile launch. Hollywood Bullspit.
Oh, it did work like that. On the early missiles sometime around 1960.
Their computers were slow to pick up targets and you had to keep painting the enemy with your own radar or the missile would lose lock in mid flight.
Hollywood just never got past that stage. Well, or more likely choose not to.
Oh, so you're in this jet 50km ahead and you killed my father?
*click* You're dead.
See the problem?

And I really don't think that we should stop ES from fantasticing up TC.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

yourpowersareweakoldman
x3tc

Post by yourpowersareweakoldman » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 14:45

That's a mod, I'm talking in the base game. Unless installing those wouldn't give me the 'modified' status.
There are. Like set turret to defend from missiles or use the Mosqito Missile defense. about the base game.
I don't know if that post was intended in response to mine, but In mine I mentioned turrets. As it is, M3's without a turret are pretty much dead in the water against most missiles, Some of us would like to pilot the Barracudas, Pirate and Teladi Falcons, and some of the baseline Mambas. Unless you want to spam PSG's or an ID, these are virtually defenseless against missile spam.

If not countermeasures, then putting a turret on all M3 fighters would be tolerable too.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 15:42

yourpowersareweakoldman wrote:That's a mod, I'm talking in the base game. Unless installing those wouldn't give me the 'modified' status.
MDM is "vanilla". Might be part of the bonus pack, but that's near enough ;)

Tim

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 18:13

Those who CAN'T moan
Those who can Programme :wink:

Ouch if you can think you can really help ES always need Beta-testers ;)
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Xaffax
x3

Post by Xaffax » Sat, 2. Aug 08, 21:02

ouch wrote:Here is a list of things that HAVE to be fixed. This is like a list of the bare minimum requirements needed for X3:TC not to completely tick off the community once more.

4. The combat AI needs an overhaul as well. They don't make intelligent decisions when makeing runs at capital ships. And they don't dogfight at all when they are evenly classed.

That ends the must fix list. but the optional stuff follows:

2. The station docking is pretty lame as well. X2 had it right creating the indoor models of stations. I know it was bit buggy but, it really added to the game. Even the old in game cut scene style docking of XBTF would be tons better than X3:R's boreing external docking clamps.

3. I Miss the planetary rings of XBTF, Some mods brought them back in X3:R and I really think they made the sectors more interesting to fly by.

4. Call me old fasioned, but I really liked that camera drone that launched from your ship in XBTF too. Just added that extra touch of detail...

Hear hear!
Right on comander!

Stop the excuses! Fix the problems!

X could be the greatest game ever but it isn't. Ouch points out why.
Xaffax out!
[ external image ]

Xaffax
x3

Post by Xaffax » Sun, 3. Aug 08, 12:57

Draakon wrote:1 celeron is a office cpu to run office app's not high demand apps like x3

A) Don't play it.
Wel... the way things stand I'm not going to buy X3TC.

X3 looks great but the game took a wrong turn as far as I'm concerned, and TC seems to keep that direction. So I'm out and I suspect I'm not the only one.
Xaffax out!
[ external image ]

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 3. Aug 08, 14:13

Well.... To be fair on the OP, the job of the software company is to produce a product we like, its not a hobby. The trouble is mixed messages. With the release of this new game approaching we are getting dozens of "the new x better have all of this and none of that" threads, and any one of these ideas may be game making or game breaking. This is not an academic exercise to them. A big enough mistake will put the company out of action.

As such, they have to be REALLY sure that what they put in is what the market wants. I have pretty firm ideas on what ego need to do, but its important to remember that I will still be able to feed my family if I'm wrong.

Feedback is important. Once the game is released, we need to praise whats good and... *ahem*... inform... if something is not up to par. That way we get a cracker of a game and the guys at egosoft get to light their cigars with hundred dollar bills. Everyone wins. :D
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

bob hope
x3

Post by bob hope » Sun, 3. Aug 08, 15:27

jlehtone wrote:
ouch wrote:Here is a list of things that HAVE to be fixed.
1. How do you know the problems of a game that has not been released yet? If you really do know the problems, what did your NDA say?

2. Have you noticed the proposed release date of X3:TC? Then you can guess the schedule of "feature freeze".
errm i would say that those are the X3 problems he is mentioning and not terran conflict
About the name - i was lost for a name on the forum and looking round, then a Bob Hope film came on, and i thought "that will do nicely"

i was born and raised argumentative i dont mean to offend ...... sorry

nataq

Post by nataq » Sun, 3. Aug 08, 17:07

it would be rly nice if x3 developers would patch their engine to support at least dual core processors ( comeone ppl! every new game supports dual cores now! if a game doesnt then its a huge waste of power ), it would greatly imcrese the performance considering that the game need to calculate huge economy. And for ppl like me who have nice dual core processors and weak graphic cards, it would improve our game performance greatly.

Adlantis
x4

Post by Adlantis » Sun, 3. Aug 08, 17:19

nataq wrote:it would be rly nice if x3 developers would patch their engine to support at least dual core processors
Interview with PCG Hardware wrote:Bernd: Dualcore CPUs are in any case useful for X3TC
Weh mir Frevler, dass ich schoss
den Schicksalsvogel Albatros!
Dreimal wehe, dass ich traf!
Dafür trifft mich des Schicksals Straf’!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”