Shipupgrades = Scripts idea.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

giskard
xr

Shipupgrades = Scripts idea.

Post by giskard » Tue, 20. Jan 04, 20:37

Hello all.

A guy in the spoiler forum complained that scripts should be upgrades you can buy in the game. I happen to agree with him.

If every script had a header that stated where it is sold, how much it costs, what its name is and where it can be fitted then many of the scripts that appear could become truely intrigated with the game.

The mk3 trading software is in my opinion the direction X2 scripts should be going in and id like see egosoft do a little research into this and see what can be done in future patches about making more scripts work this way. Make some sort of move towards standardising scripts for ships in this fashion.

Its easier for players to install them and use them and even remove them this way.

You know, like the mk3 script, drop them into the script folder, they magically appear as a ship addon at your local equipement dock which you can add or remove from your ship at will. Starting and stopping the script in the process.

giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 00:10

I've been looking at this from the start, there are already unused upgrade slots available. In fact I have a Xai Corporation command software upgrade for sale in my universe. I'm just waiting to get the commands in a releaseable state.

Mehrunes
x4

Post by Mehrunes » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 00:31

The only extra thing you need is the localisation text file, as you can't set localisation keys directly with a script which is what would be really helpful. But you can already tie commands to an upgrade and add that upgrade to stations with a script as shown in the Trade Mk. III. Just ignore the part that says "You shouldn't be reading this!". :P

Donar
x3

Post by Donar » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 01:21

This is a great idea. The only reason I'm using the mk3 is because of its ease of use, really.

While I'm certainly no noob to programming and/or game modifications, those that are the best are the ones that blend seamlessly with the game world. Using a software upgrade or program that's integrated into the menus seems to me the best and most immersive way.

And, of course, all should have a price; monetary or otherwise. Making things easier is all fine and good, but I want to feel as if I have to earn it somehow.

Now, if I could only get my hands on the scripting documentation... :)
Don't feed the trolls.

Athlon XP 2500 Barton (oc'd to 2.2ghz)
Radeon 9800 Pro (modded and oc'd to a 9800XT)
1GB Geil PC3200 Ram Dual Channel
Soundstorm on-board audio
Abit NF7-S Mobo

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 04:36

Mehrunes wrote:The only extra thing you need is the localisation text file, as you can't set localisation keys directly with a script which is what would be really helpful. But you can already tie commands to an upgrade and add that upgrade to stations with a script as shown in the Trade Mk. III. Just ignore the part that says "You shouldn't be reading this!". :P
Humm, i'll try reading that when the docs come out :)

Thanks for the tip :)
PS im waiting for the docs because im busy and dont have the time to master the scripting without the docs. I do do a little light reading over at the script site occasionally though :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”