Giant New X3 Universe Map.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nyax
x3tc

Giant New X3 Universe Map.

Post by Nyax » Sat, 19. May 07, 16:26

Some of you may have seen my thread on this map in the creative forum as i was working on it. For those that havn't-

This map is rather different to most of the others you may have seen for X. Instead of just plotting out a straight 'Gate grid' diagram i've attempted to place the X universe in a real world location (In this case a galaxy) rather then the sectors being just a bunch of boxes 'somewhere'. On top of this i've noticed that in many cases neigbouring sectors appear to lie near to or within, the same nebulae (for example the sectors around Paranid prime). I've taken that as a guide to the placement of sectors on the map, made up some regional names, added a bit of made up text, Gate, race and some station indicators The end result looks like this-

[ external image ]

You can download the full giant poster sized version here-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christophe ... 0/XMap.jpg

It's 1.2 MB and approximately 4300x 2700 pixels in size.

I hope you all like it.
Last edited by Nyax on Fri, 21. Nov 08, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Logan
x3

Woow

Post by Martin Logan » Sat, 19. May 07, 16:46

:o Looks like just the thing to print out on a HUGE piece of paper and hang on the wall.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 19. May 07, 16:49

Very cool - If you were as sad as I am then for version n+1 you could anchor it on a map of our own galaxy by using Omicron Lyrae (if you could find it - I couldn't after a quick search since my star guide only goes down to mag 5, but it should be something like the 15th brighest star in Lyra) and spin it around to fit with the gap between the arms or something.

Now all you need is an A1 printer and you have a very smart looking poster for your wall...
:D

M

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Sat, 19. May 07, 17:06

Very nicely done. I'd like to have a useable size so that I can print it out and use it. Something in the 8.5X11 inch size. But heh, excellent map and I just might take it to Kinko's and have them print it out and hang it on the wall.

Thanks,
-NavyAICS.
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 19. May 07, 17:20

Get them to print it onto cloth and someone could wear it like a cape to the next sci-fi gamers convention they went to. Super-X3-fan!!

Sorry, I just liked the idea of someone with an 18 foot cape with that map on it being followed by a group of people dressed as Boron page-boys holding it up. I think I have been missing too much sleep lately....

M

NavyAICS
x3tc

Post by NavyAICS » Sat, 19. May 07, 17:24

maphys wrote:Get them to print it onto cloth and someone could wear it like a cape to the next sci-fi gamers convention they went to. Super-X3-fan!!

Sorry, I just liked the idea of someone with an 18 foot cape with that map on it being followed by a group of people dressed as Boron page-boys holding it up. I think I have been missing too much sleep lately....

M
That's a good one for the "you know you've played too much X when..." thread. I love that thread, it's so funny!
-NavyAICS.
TRAMPLE THE WEAK, HURDLE THE DEAD!

Orion JMD
x3

Post by Orion JMD » Sat, 19. May 07, 17:57

Kudos. You really did do a great job with the graphics on that map.
It reminds me of the Solar System maps we would drool over as kids.

Well done.

Best

JMD

Prowler690
x3

Post by Prowler690 » Sat, 19. May 07, 19:54

Really nice bit of work that, well done.

[ external image ]
Rig 1 AMD AM2 5000+
ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi 2Gb CorsairXMS2 DDR2 BFG GF 8800GTS OC2 Core 580Mhz Mem 1700
Rig2 Q6600 2.4Ghz
Striker Extreme Mobo 8800GT 512 OC2 2Gb PC8400.
Laptop Dell XPSM1710 C2D 2.16Ghz Go7950GTS

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Sat, 19. May 07, 21:01

Yes! Thank you, it is ecssssellllennnttttt. :khaak: I will have it courier delivered to all khaak invaders so they can find their way home once more (they are not really mean, emotionless, destroyers of happy lifeforms, they are just a bunch of lost E.T's.....)
Last edited by ThommoHawk on Sun, 20. May 07, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

zooze
xr

Post by zooze » Sat, 19. May 07, 21:10

Absolutely fantastic :)

If this isn't included in a huge chart for X4 then Egosoft would of missed something excellent here :)

Zoozer

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 19. May 07, 21:37

Impressive, most impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well.

Ooops, wrong universe. Very nice, well done. If I may give a bit of constructive criticism, its only flaw is the bottom edge. Some of the sectors are so close it gives the impression that it's been "cut off". Just a little padding on the bottom edge would perfect it.

mippy
x3

Post by mippy » Sat, 19. May 07, 21:39

it looks really good, and probly took quite awhile, but I remember reading somewhere that the position of gates and sectors are not relavent to where they are located in the universe.

2 sectors that are "side by side" could actually be on opposite ends of the universe and have every other sector in between them.

or Depths of Silence, and Getsu Fune, could be relative neighbors in the universe even though they are as far as possible from each other according to the gate network.
A proud Goner!

It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt.

http://www.tildruin-mindseye.co.uk/innocent.html

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Sat, 19. May 07, 21:58

Very nicely done. :thumb_up:

canazza
x4

Post by canazza » Sat, 19. May 07, 22:01

mippy wrote:it looks really good, and probly took quite awhile, but I remember reading somewhere that the position of gates and sectors are not relavent to where they are located in the universe.

2 sectors that are "side by side" could actually be on opposite ends of the universe and have every other sector in between them.

or Depths of Silence, and Getsu Fune, could be relative neighbors in the universe even though they are as far as possible from each other according to the gate network.
yes, but that doesn't make for a cool looking map
--==Dave Canazza==--
Far Star: Terran Sabre (M4)

The_Last_Exile
x3

Post by The_Last_Exile » Sat, 19. May 07, 23:07

gorgeous and fantasmalistic
Here Xenon,
'Cos for all you do,
This nukes for you.

Etolf
x3tc

Post by Etolf » Sat, 19. May 07, 23:34

very well done :D
I think the whole effect is done well, and it has a very good feel to it!
must have taken you a lot of work!

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 19. May 07, 23:47

canazza wrote:
mippy wrote:it looks really good, and probly took quite awhile, but I remember reading somewhere that the position of gates and sectors are not relavent to where they are located in the universe.

yes, but that doesn't make for a cool looking map
Indeed.
If I may give a bit of constructive criticism, its only flaw is the bottom edge. Some of the sectors are so close it gives the impression that it's been "cut off". Just a little padding on the bottom edge would perfect it.
Yeah now that you mention it, that's a good point. I'll sort that out.

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Sat, 19. May 07, 23:51

Good s**t man!

I've often wondered which sector fit together and had noticed that some of the planets in different sectors look the same, never thought anyone would bother to work it all out!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sat, 19. May 07, 23:55

Bishop149 wrote:Good s**t man!

I've often wondered which sector fit together and had noticed that some of the planets in different sectors look the same, never thought anyone would bother to work it all out!
I'm sad like that :)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”