Spacefly Capture Device - is it really illegal?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

infohata
x4

Spacefly Capture Device - is it really illegal?

Post by infohata » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 09:27

Hey all,

I'm flying around with that thing and thinking why i bought it?!... i don't know how to catch these flys, and how illegal is it? As far as i'm exploring Split space looks like nobody cares about it, but when i'd go out to Argon/Boran/Paranid - will i have problems? If yes - is there a way to hide that? if i'll find a way to catch these flys - maybe i'd think about afterburner and something big to own...
Pick the Best, kick the rest...
Travel more! :)
CodeMaster

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 10:36

The collection device is not illegal, catching them is not illegal, but if after you've caught them you get scanned with them in your hold . . .. then you're in trouble with the law!

Catching them is pretty damn hard, mainly because finding them is! I've only ever found a swarm at random, never when I actually went looking. They don't show up on the scanner but you can target them, thus the way I find them my accident is when my target reticule is looking for a new target and locks on to the flies by accident. When this happens I jump in my hunting ship and catch them.

To hunt you need a spacefly collector and an IonD. Zap the one you target and the arc of the beam will reveal loads more, once zapped they will stop moving and become visible on the radar for a short period of time (so you have to keep zapping). Once they are still you can pick them up just like a crate.

Why bother? Well they go for a good price at Pirate and split stations but are not going to make you millions, I keep them for use in the AFterburners!
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Volition
x3tc

Post by Volition » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 15:23

You know, I've never actually set out to catch space flys, but I sort of mentally associated them with overuse of my IonDs. When I get bored I'll literally hound some lone pirate or whatnot with IonDs till he bails, sometimes for hours at a time if I really just want the ship and am that bored. When I do this sometimes after a while space flys just start showing up that weren't in the the vicinity before. So I think they're just attracted to IonDs, and randomly shooting them off for a bit might attract them for you to catch. Mind you, I've never actually figured it out for sure and they could be migrating swarms or whatnot that happened by while I was messing with my prey.
uhhh... this is my signature... n stuff... yeah... :P

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 15:35

Hey this used to happen to me all the time in X2. I would go to use the ion'd against an opponent reasonably far from any friendlies. I fire and my shot piggy banks from the target to an unseen bunch of spaceflies right accross to the friendly I was convinced was out of range.

Lot of cursing usually ensued as my rep dropped!
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 15:39

I believe if you stay in the same sector for a long time they show up.

So the story goes, spacefly hunting generaly requires finding a big asteroid a waiting next to it, and waiting... and waiting....

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 15:43

moggy2 wrote:I believe if you stay in the same sector for a long time they show up.

So the story goes, spacefly hunting generaly requires finding a big asteroid a waiting next to it, and waiting... and waiting....
Its a bit like fishing then get out a few ice cold beers and relax. Except when you fish you don't have to keep one eye peeled for pirates or khaak!

98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

Volition
x3tc

Post by Volition » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 15:57

Hrmmm... like fishing... *tries the idea on for size* I once caught a space fly thiiiiis big! :lol: That'll work. Not sure if I'd want to eat them afterwards though. :gruebel:

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 16:41

moggy2 wrote:I believe if you stay in the same sector for a long time they show up.

yeah thats pretty true, i've noticed this quite often. Theres been time when i left the game running as i got something to eat or did something else, and i was floating in space, when i got back, there were laods of spaceflys wizzing around me.

they seem to be attracted by your ships engines, so its jsut a cae of staying still for abit

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 17:02

Cycrow wrote:

yeah thats pretty true, i've noticed this quite often. Theres been time when i left the game running as i got something to eat or did something else, and i was floating in space, when i got back, there were laods of spaceflys wizzing around me.

they seem to be attracted by your ships engines, so its jsut a cae of staying still for abit
That's like fishing too keeping still and quiet not to spook them. As to eating them who knows I've eaten a few insects abraod! One kind inparticular where just like crispy chips you just had to get over the dead buggy eyes looking at you. Aversity to eating this one is just a cultural thing, full of goodness, Yummy!

infohata
x4

Post by infohata » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 17:48

from reading this i've decided not to hunt for these spaceflys, better do something better... i'll sell this device if possible, if not - drop it near some friendly split ship that it could collect that goodie... :D~ ir it will not - shoot it in the air... so sad, 26k to waste...
afterburner - hmm... maybe i'll use it, but now it's still too expencive for me to own one...
Pick the Best, kick the rest...
Travel more! :)
CodeMaster

Volition
x3tc

Post by Volition » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 18:19

Oh no need to waste it. Just transfer that puppy onto the next ship you're going to sell off to a shipyard. Capped pirate ship or whatnot. Dunno if you get your full money back, but it does increase the value.

khaakbaiter

Post by khaakbaiter » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 18:33

i'm playing X2 and i want to try spacefly hunting i heard thar you need an Ion disruptor to stun em! am i right?

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 19:30

I've seen BBS messages telling me where swarms have been spotted. Though they only last a few Jazura according to the message.

I've also had spaceflies targeted on numerous occasions at random. I don't think I'd been in a sector particularly long.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 17. Apr 07, 19:39

To answer the question you do need IonD's and a space fly collector. get the collector from the split the IonD from the Boron you probably already knew that.

Could never bring myself to do this myself even though the little buzzers have killed me on a few occasions. happened twice with an M5 just after entering the gate into ore belt with only 1mw shield playing the xpert setting in also in x2 once in a very under shielded and damaged mercury. Not just a question of wiping these off the windscreen unless you have some shields.

khaakbaiter

Post by khaakbaiter » Wed, 18. Apr 07, 08:25

:lol: wow... then what happens when you blast em?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 18. Apr 07, 08:36

Paranoid66 wrote: Could never bring myself to do this myself even though the little buzzers have killed me on a few occasions. happened twice with an M5 just after entering the gate into ore belt with only 1mw shield playing the xpert setting in also in x2 once in a very under shielded and damaged mercury. Not just a question of wiping these off the windscreen unless you have some shields.
I can do better that that--I was mobile mining in X2. Had just taken out one 'roid and set my helper ships to gather up the remains, then scanned around until I found another good one. Was sitting next to the roid, ready to blast it when the first one was finished, when a bunch of spaceflies appeared, flew into my ship, and knocked it into the asteroid! Before I could get much of a chance to react I blew up...

khaakbaiter

Post by khaakbaiter » Wed, 18. Apr 07, 08:40

how much do they weigh? the spaceflies they're strong!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”