[UPDATE] A few SW ships... and a couple of ST ones too [01-11-2009]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Tue, 6. Feb 07, 19:40

if you have time would you please make
the enterprise E
or
a proper version of the BC304(aka deadalus) from stargate i find that balgot's version is a bit like deadly version of the mllenium falcon the surface is just too flat

any of those two ships would make me realy happy

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Tue, 6. Feb 07, 20:02

Yea, I miss the Soverign-class. We had it back in the X2 days, but the TopGun mod was never ported to X3.

Federation ships with Kyons rule!

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 07:04

I always preferred the Galaxy class one myself. :)

I'm still thinking about making a couple more SW ships and I wouldn't mind having a go at the Romulan Warbird from ST:TNG too. All those curved surfaces might be a bit tricky though...

Anyway, I've finally added the Enterprise B model (excelsior class refit I think) to the list at the top of the thread. I've had all kinds of problems with it over the last few days but it made it through testing and space trials in one piece today and to be honest I've had enough of it for a while and just wanted to be finished with it. :D

As usual, let me know if you have any problems with it or suggestions for balancing it as I'm not that good at that kind of thing.

Thanks,

MM

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 07:11

I'll get it on the site.

I used to be really good at balancing, but the numbers aren't in my head anymore. If I get good at that again, I've got to forget something else like making ships or xsps.

Actually, I wish someone else did make all the XSPs for me. I'd rather spend my time balancing stats and cleaning up poly-counts. It's more interesting.

*Edit*

Since you said I could muck:
Since the Enterprise B was a remodeled Excelsior-class ship, I'm calling it an Excelsior Vanguard. :)

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 07:26

High complexity. I can see whyit might give you trouble.

You may want to consider shipping high-poly sihps as BOB rather than BOD (except the scene file) as they are smaller and load faster.

If I get some tie (yea right) I'll make a compiled version and comment on the stats.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 15:18

You may want to consider shipping high-poly sihps as BOB rather than BOD (except the scene file) as they are smaller and load faster.
That's a good idea tensin - I didn't really think of that and it's not something I've tried before - I'll look into how to do that at some point today.
Since you said I could muck:
Since the Enterprise B was a remodeled Excelsior-class ship, I'm calling it an Excelsior Vanguard.
That's no problem, I only named it Enterprise as I'm going to add a standard Excelsior class along with a couple of other variants over the next few days. :wink:

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 18:33

I'll look into how to do that at some point today.
http://www.xwiki.chaos.net.nz/index.php ... _with_X2BC
That's no problem, I only named it Enterprise as I'm going to add a standard Excelsior class along with a couple of other variants over the next few days.
Finally someone else doing variants. :) Good thing I made Enterprise a vanguarrd (I assum your Excelsior will be a bit inferior to the Excelsior refit that is Enterprise)

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Thu, 8. Feb 07, 19:24

Thanks for the link, I actually found the same one this morning myself. I've tried it out and the difference in load times is staggering! :D

I'm also reading up on LODs to further improve performance. Hopefully I can add these to the model before I update the release today. I should look at doing this for some of the other models too - I think the BoPs would benefit from this.
Finally someone else doing variants. Good thing I made Enterprise a vanguarrd (I assum your Excelsior will be a bit inferior to the Excelsior refit that is Enterprise)
I was looking around for ST images while making the ships and it seems that there are a lot of variants with minor physical differences so I thought that I could get maybe three or four variations from the Enterprise B model with a few small adjustments.

The standard Excelsior will be a little inferior to the Enterprise ship but hopefully I can give each of the variants one aspect in their handling capabilities that will make them useful.

So if you have any suggestions as to what would make for good variations please let me know.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Fri, 9. Feb 07, 01:42

A small update today mainly to optimise the larger ships to improve in-game load times, as a result the Enterprise and all Bird of Prey models now load a lot faster. :D

I've also added versions of the BoP and BoP: Hunter class with cockpits to the download lists at the top of the thread.

So as always, please let me know if there are any problems downloading, installing, etc...

thx

MM

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Fri, 9. Feb 07, 01:47

I'll see if I can get your new versions. I need to make sure a few of myown models are in BOB.

If you do LOD, you'll be the first. There are a couple ships (particularly the large / complex ones) that really need it. We can get away with more complex ships if we remember to have more than one LOD... but it's a lot more work.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Fri, 9. Feb 07, 02:16

I have made a start on the LODs for the Enterprise model; I've got two out of three done but getting it to work (and being able to see it in-game) is proving to be a bit more tricky.

I'm probably just messing up one of the steps when I export but it's late now and I'm more likely to break everything if I attempt it again tonight.

I'll take another look at it tomorrow hopefully.

tikanderoga
x4

Post by tikanderoga » Fri, 9. Feb 07, 15:06

I got DDRS installed atm.. can I simply add the ships or would it cause conflict with the DDRS mod¿
If you got a monopoly on an operating system, and you make tons of money by supporting it, why fix it?

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Fri, 9. Feb 07, 16:20

It should work, though you need to tell Ship Installer to use DDRS as a fake patch.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Sat, 10. Feb 07, 20:30

Hi all,

Just a quick post to let you know that I've updated the Enterprise model. There were some bugs that crept into it making the hull and the engines appear out of alignment with the rest of the ship. This has been fixed and the latest version is available for download.

I'm currently working on a variant of the Enterprise model; I reckon that by using most of the parts from the original I can put together a few of these pretty quickly. It's working title is 'USS Ontario' and it will probably be a M7 class ship (screenshots below).

I'll look at adding a docking bay for a couple of fighters before releasing it, so hopefully it should be ready to download at some point tomorrow.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p138 ... ESS_02.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p138 ... ESS_01.jpg

thx,

MM

snips
x3

Post by snips » Sat, 10. Feb 07, 20:34

Quality cant wait to try it out :)

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Mon, 12. Feb 07, 07:03

Quality cant wait to try it out
Then here it is at long last; the USS Ontario. :D

I've added a screenshot and download link at the top of the thread as usual. I don't think that it is balanced that well but I'm not really that great at that sort of thing so if anyone has any suggestions on balancing please let me know.

And of course if you find any bugs with it give me a shout. :)

MM

brad larue
x3

Highly Impressed

Post by brad larue » Mon, 12. Feb 07, 15:25

Hello i must say i am highly impressed with you're work. I have been playing x3 for a couple of years now and have yet seen any one even attempting to create any star trek ships except deadlyda and the maki raider. I'm thinking that you were able to do something different in this case, or maybe the intrest just was not there for the classic st ships. Youre work on the Excelcior aka enterprise B and the Onterio is most impressive and appriciated. As a TYrue and loyal fan of star trek im like a kid on Christmas day. Ha i find my self anticipating any more additions of youre work more so than the Xtm mod i have beren waiting for for about a year now. I hope you do contnue with this process, also i hope you would try out the constitution class-A movie version. The Ambassader class AkA Enterprise-C Please Please keep up the good work. Thank you.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Tue, 13. Feb 07, 01:58

Hi brad,

I'm glad that you're enjoying the Star Trek ships, I've spent so much time working on them that I haven't had the time to play them in-game yet. :)

I'm looking at building a Corellian corvette from Star Wars next, hopefully I can start that tomorrow so you might have to wait a few days for some more ST ships.
I did start playing around at building a ST shuttle today - I reckon that as the Ontario has a hangar bay it should come with a shuttle or two. :wink:

The shuttle is coming on pretty fast, I thought it would take me a couple of days but it should be finished at some point later today. I have a screenshot here:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p138 ... N_GAME.jpg

I'll add it for download a little later when I've made a few texture improvements.

MM

tensin
x3

Post by tensin » Tue, 13. Feb 07, 03:50

MM,

I'll get your updated and new ships up shortly (the enterprise is current, and all the others but the most recent are up, but I need to put up the updates. Just need to clear 20 min or so to clean up the naming and pop them up).

Great work :)

PS. The Corellian Corvette is popular. I think you are the third person I've heard say they were working or planning to work on one.

magrathean monkey
x2

Post by magrathean monkey » Tue, 13. Feb 07, 07:02

Thanks tensin, I'll try and get a few more out over the next couple of weeks. :wink:

I've added a model of the Star Trek Type 6 Shuttle to the download list at the top of the thread. It's been through space trials today and has passed with flying colours.

Happy flying...

MM

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”