The Explorer Software was developed by Teladi Scientists as a tool for charting new, unexplored sectors without the need for expensive crewed vessels. The commands provided by this software were designed to be used by a team of scientists to remotely control a probe, as it explored new sectors of space, from the safety of their research labs.
Fly Through gate...
- - This command allows you to specify a gate to fly through. In difference to the fly to sector command, this allows you to fly through gates where the destination sector has not previously been visited.
- - This command causes the ship to fly in circles round the sector, revealing stations, gates and asteroids as they pass within scanner range.
- To use the command you select a central point around which to explore, set a maximum range from that point to explore and set a "ecliptic variance".
- This can be used to reveal a new sector or to locate a hard to find gate.
- - This command will scan asteroids in the sector.
- Select the first asteroid to scan, then set the maximum number of asteroids to scan.
The explore sector command flys a square around the central point. This is only 2-dimensional, parallel to the ecliptic plane of the sector. The additional input of "ecliptic variance" allows a random fluctuation within the 3rd dimention between points, allowing you to scan a slightly larger area. Values for this are typically between 0 and 10.
If the explorer ship has a pilot, ie the pilot's name is something other than the player's name, the Fly through gate command functions slightly differently. Once it has flown through the gate it will immediately go on to scan the sector from the center out to a range of 40km.