X3 1.3: CTD, bugs, issues, interface stuff

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

DuncanMc
x3

X3 1.3: CTD, bugs, issues, interface stuff

Post by DuncanMc » Fri, 6. Jan 06, 21:18

Hi all,

Prelude:
I am an old X series fan and have posted a lot in the past and contributed to bug fixing and script corrections in X2. So knowing that egosoft has some issues I waited for the 1.3 patch before I paid loads of money for X3. I love the new graphics!!! Great ships, nice planet.... views.

I expect egosoft brought out X3 instead of X2-expansion because you need money. I also understand that you brought it out early to get the Christmas shopping money. I would rather have egosoft bring out software early then die ;-) Unfortunately even after the 1.3 patch, it looks like there are still some serious issues.

Note: I wanted to post this in parts DevNet, but it seems Devnet and Betatesting areas (I'm a Lev5 user) are not cleaned up, so if you want me to repost some of this elsewhere then I would appreciate a few pointers.

Running: X3 1.3, clean install, clean upgrade, no mods or scripts loaded.

System: WinXP Sp2, all the newest patches, newest D9c and MS-audio codecs on top of list

Hardware: 2.8Ghz Pentium, 1.25 Gigs Ram, ATI 9700Pro (Catalyst 5.13), Sound Blaster Audigy Pro (newest drivers). Running with almost not other stuff on system (even turned Virus protection off, which I do not do for other things ;-)

Mission Bugs:

Mission 2 (A Favour for Noah) everywhere: after a cut scene the last view on space gets shown for a few seconds before it blanks and shows the new location. Example: after the scene on the planet you get the last pirates-are-chasing-us-in-space view.

* Mission 2 (A Favour for Noah): part 1 where the pirates first attack you- The pirates still want you to drop the shield after you have vaporized them all.

* Mission 2 (A Favour for Noah): part 2 where you are being followed on the planet. This is basically just luck if you survive here, even with low resolution settings. As the player has really no influence on the outcome, a death at this point is just being cruel to your users.
I suggest that you make this part an "always win" in the next patch. Players are awarded the kills they make so that they can profit for shooting some of the pirates here.

* Mission 3 (The White Crystal): A jump is aborted when another voice message is received (e.g. Pirate message). An Example: enemy ship just jumped, you select Shift-J to jump, the countdown starts and then your cross-hair targets an asteroid, voice comes "Asteroid" and the Jump is aborted.

* Mission 3 (The White Crystal): after the Mafiosi drops the crystal the system locks into the box until Saya gets it, a sort of locked in cut scene. Bug: During this time the pirates continue shooting at your ship and there is nothing you can do about it as you are locked out of the controls... result: damaged ship (or worse death).

Missing Documentation:

* The star in the weapons display is not explained in the manual, even the new better 1.3 manual. Found out it is the laser lock now (button "k") by chance.

Bugs:

* Crash to desktop (CTD) during intense dog-fights and just after when I die (ending text comes in 3D). Was running at 1280x1024 (my LCD default) with everything set to high, no AA, 4AF, no post-processing. After going down to 1024x768 this has not happened as often. If you want a savegame or more, contact me.

* After being in danger the player ship blinks green-red in the sector map or property overview even after leaving the sector (or docking to a station) and being out of danger.

* When a new "speech" starts, the old one gets cut off. This leads to missing notifications and abortion of Jump drive countdown!!!
Suggested fix: you allow one voice for ship messages (e.g. "No target") and a second for messages. Further you should queue the messages (e.g. "We scanned your ship...") so that they do not get lost.

User Interface bugs:

* Some items have no graphics and show only the question mark graphic, e.g. silicon ore.
Suggested fix: all regular items should have a graphic.

* Keys "5" and "6" do not work in owned ship/satellite menus even though they are displayed, but the Trade with Station key "d" does!
Suggested fix: keys 5 and 6 need to work in the menus.

* "Best Sales" in icon menu is called "Best Locations" in "Trade Utilities" window.
Suggested Fix: rename "Best Locations" to "Best Sales" to be in line with the rest of the program interface.

* "Orders" in icon menu is called "Command Console" in rest of program.
Suggested Fix: rename "Orders" to "Command Console" (or "Command") to be in line with the rest of the program interface.

* F5 closes the second window instead of minimizing it like the first window. Pressing F5 again then shows window 1 normally, but window 2 is gone.
Suggested Fix: have F5 only minimize the second window just like window one, as expected.

* Sector Map zooms in and out on its own after a while (back to 100%). This is very annoying when outside of the normal sector range or when you are looking for something.
Suggested Fix: remove the auto-zoom in out while the sector map is open.

* Sector map back to 100 percent after getting info on sector map item (e.g. while scanning asteroids).
Suggested Fix: remove the auto-100% setting while the sector map is open and in an sub info display.

Autopilot Bugs:

* If autopilot is started just after passing through a gate and the target is straight to the side of the gate, the autopilot will steer you through the gate posts causing ship damage. Possibly a bounding box problem. Alternative fix: "Command refused" message just like near station docks.

* If collect wares in sector is used to pick up items that are near asteroids the autopilot will hit the asteroid causing ship damage. Alternative fix: "Command refused" message just like near station docks.

* Autopilot can crash into solar panel during autopilot docking maneuver when the dock is on the other side of the station. Happened to me when coming in from an east gate Profit Share and auto piloting to the solar station L Delta. Instead of going around it tried to go through the station to get to the docking lights.

* When in the options-controls menu during an automatic dock, it does not dock. You are just hanging under the dock when you go out of the menu.

EDIT: I consider the following bugs, but to stay professional I moved them down here to "missing basic features". If you are pedantic on only fixing bugs, skip to the next message below.

Missing basic features:

* There is no way to remap the right-mouse-button and scroll-wheel (seem to be hard coded). The default flies in the face of all other games out there: right-mouse = alternate fire (missile) and scroll-wheel should be configurable (e.g. speed throttle or next/previous target).
Suggested fix: allow change of the "hot key" / "right-mouse click" in the options control menu. This would be nice so that users can use that for missiles, which is more in line with user interface standards (alternate fire).
Suggested fix: allow change of mouse wheel in the options control menu. For example to use it for speed up/down, which is more in line with user interface standards.

* Best buy / Best sell do not allow you to select an item/station from the list for docking. Found out that "t" works but that is no great help.
Suggested fix: that a click opens the station info display (the one that has the show information, select as target,... items) and add a "navigate to this station" option.

* Depending an where you are in the interface you have 4 !!! different key combinations for zooming. +/-, Pos1/Del and Scroll Up/Down as well as the "Alt" key (Visual Enhancement Goggles) are used for zooming in and out in the cockpit, sector-Map and galaxy map.
Suggested fix: Numeric +/- can be used for all of those in all situations (there is no zoom out for the Goggles).

* There is no compass, so you do not know which direction you are pointing in relative to the sector.
Suggested fix: I guess the shield/ship display (that was described in the original manual) was supposed to do this... I suggest adding at least the rotating ship pointing icon later perhaps with the Gravidar upgrade (which is pretty useless so far as most sectors are much larger than the Gravidar display).

* When docked there is no display what you are docked at.
Suggested Fix: add station name in brackets to "Main Menu" title.

* You can go from galaxy to the sector maps, but not the other way around. Example: press "." for sector map, now you can not switch to the galaxy map.
Suggested Fix: have a up-arrow or galaxy map icon in the window or title bar to go to the galaxy map.

* When using the galaxy/sector maps from another ship you can not use that to steer that ship. You have to go all the way back via the console menu.
Suggested fix: that a click opens the station info display (the one that has the show information, select as target,... items) and add a "navigate to this station" option. (Same as best buy /best sell bug above.)

* Sector map zooms in a lot 25600%, but only has one zoom out to 50%. This means a lot of usfull stuf is not visible.
Suggested Fix: have one more zoom out to 25%.

* Comms (key "c") with a selected enemy during a dog fight and selecting the (only) option "1. Surrender" has no effect. What is that option there for then?!?

* Transport device can not be used to pick up boxes in space (salvage of wares).

* Gravidar view of 5k, between 1k and 10k would be useful (e.g. for fighters).

* There are status messages (e.g.: "xxx Missile installed") for all sorts of things... but not for "No missiles", which would be really useful when in the thick of it.

* No jump animation. (Nice swoosh sound though ;)

* It would be nice if the time shift didn't stop every time I do something in the menus and when pressing the (exterior) view buttons to look around.

* HUD does not indicate weather you are in mouse-mode or not. The white mouse pointer is not always visible.
Suggested Fix: have an option for mouse users to change HUD color when in mouse-mode.

* While we have speed, shield an hull meters spread out over the entire display (very difficult to track with you eyes). There is no ship "energy" meter.
Suggested Fix: yes I know there are 8 ! meters for energy in the weapons display. They always show the same energy level for all weapons, might as well get rid of that and add an energy meter to the speed, shield, hull meter.

* AQC (automatic quality control) does not seem to do anything? I would expect it to turn off AA, AF and glow at least when things get rough.

Suggested changes to default mapping:
Note: normally when you buy a game, the default config is sane. In this case it is a mixture between X3 and X2 :(

* Joystick Button-1 (fire) and Button-2 (missiles) are ok, but the rest stink. Nothing is mapped by default above Button-4.
Suggested Fix: Button-3 for Nearest Enemy Target. Button-4 for center-view (the coolie-hat is for view stuff but auto-center is off by default). Button-5 for auto-pilot toggle. Button-6 for SETA. Button-7 and Button-8 for next/previous enemy respectivly.

Final words:

Thanks for all the nice work on the graphics and the new mouse control system (well done guys)!

I paid a load of money for this (and the previous) game, so...
[rant mode on]
I also want to you to notice that in the "Developer Liaisons" during beta test, egosoft has one for everything EXCEPT for interface work!!!!
http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=87456

The menu systems stink (note the plural!). I am sorry but it is still true. It seems to me that egosoft has a lot of 3D and graphics guys, but zero user interface guys... (or perhaps two pulling in opposite directions?). It looks like they got caught halfway between an alpha-blended version of the old menus and an iconic menu system with some of the old hot-keys (e.g.: press "k" for laser targeting) thrown in for good measure. What a mess! While perhaps acceptable for the old X-fans, you are seriously loosing out with new customers because of this. Please clean up that blasted interface instead of dreaming up new 3D effects all the time.
[rant mode off]
Last edited by DuncanMc on Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:34, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

and some more

Post by DuncanMc » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 16:56

Menu Bugs:

* Freight Exchange when going through the list. There is an empty window on the right. (Most likly for the graphics of the items).
Suggested Fix: show the graphics of the selected freight items.

HUD Bugs:
* HUD does not show negative thrust with a minus at the bottom of screen. Looks like you are doing postive thrust even tough you are flying backward.
Edit: Note the central speed indicator at the cross-hair correctly shows the speed in nagative values!
Suggested Fix: show negative thrust with a "-" prepended and in red, instead of yellow. (Standard negative number notation.)

Mission Bug:
* Mission 5 (The Convoi): Mission breifing states that it is near a Nividium Plant. There is no such plant.
Suggested Fix: change mission briefing to just "Contact the convoi leader near the center of Home of Light"... or something similar.
Last edited by DuncanMc on Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

more

Post by DuncanMc » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 19:55

Menu Window Bugs:

* When docking The "name-of-the-station", the "Hull" and "Shield" are displayed, a short pause occurs, then the three texts are replaced by "Read Text (...)"" and then the proper texts are shown as before. Edit: this also effects your ship name in above the shield/hull lines in the HUD.
Suggested Fix: remove superflous window text update.

* Trading station menu: "Aurora Missiles" show the wrong "Vol.". Shown is "3 -" it should be "3 S" for three small slots in the cargo bay.

* Trading station menu: "Huricane Missiles" show the wrong "Vol.". Shown is "2 -" it should be "2 S" for three small slots in the cargo bay.
Last edited by DuncanMc on Tue, 10. Jan 06, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

Post by DuncanMc » Sun, 8. Jan 06, 22:38

Menu Window Bugs:

* In trading with station windows the picture of the items on the right flash an incorrect picture while they rotate. Example: "Advanced Satellite" shows a picture of "Rudder Optimization" during one of the roatation phases. The same goes for Soya Husk and of course Rudder Optimization. I assume some others as well. Possibly a fence-post / array overrun bug.

* Names of pilots do not fit in window. This is most annoying for Sector traders as you can not see the level of your pilot.

* Moving in and out of menus in space stations aborts the station annoucements.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

and some more...

Post by DuncanMc » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 16:07

HUD Bugs:

* You can install "unkown" items in your missile slot, the HUD display tool tip for that missile then shows the name (e.g. 80000 credit Ham.......d missiles in a M3 Taladi Falcon) but the freight window still shows unkown and I did not get an "update" voice message either.
Suggested Fix: if you figure out that this is a missile and that you can install it then the database should be updated and the "unkown" should change to the proper name.

* "Scanned your ship" flashes wrong figure graphic at start of transmission. Example: "Split scanned your ship..." was first a different character displayed (looked like a Paranid, but not sure). Possibly related to the rotating graphic item window display bug mentioned above (array under/over run?). This is an intermittant problem but happens quite often.
Edit: I now believe this is a "left over" from the last person viewed. In other words, the last person you talked to is displayed for a second before the new graphic gets loaded of the present communications partner. I have seen this in Mission 7 (The pleasure complex) when talking to the Mine boss you get to see Saya for a second when he starts talking to you. Previously you told Saya about the "crumbs lead here"...

Sound / Voice Bug:

* Old voice messages describing ships brought over from X2 no longer accurate. Example: When selecting a Buzzard it tells you that this is an improvement of the Hawk and the main improvement is the third shield slot. The new Buzzard in X3 only has one shield slot though!
Suggested Quick Fix: edit old voice scripts and remove inaccuracies.
Suggested Fix: get new desciriptions for the new ship types.

(I guess I should have signed up for the beta phase after all... sorry.)
Last edited by DuncanMc on Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

Tetsuro
x3

Post by Tetsuro » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 16:14

Good work Duncan, it's most appreciated. :wink: :)

DuncanMc
x3

Graphics Clipping Bug

Post by DuncanMc » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:15

Graphics Clipping Bug

* This shows a graphics clipping bug that appears when zooming in on objects in the exterior view:
Screen shot of clip problem when zooming in (Edit)

As you can see the Kha'ak M3 is viewed from two zooms out and one zoom up (my favorite exterior view ;-), personally I think the default up-the-ass rear view is rubbish as a default [hint hint]). When I now zoom in a bit first the lower two thirds disapear and then the top third as well.
In the pictures I showed the lower two thirds twice (the two middle pictures) to make sure that you can see the problem properly.
Of course if you change your name to M$, then you could say it is a feature and the Kha'ak auto-cloaks when you zoom in on it :lol:

Menu Bug

* The laser target key does not work in owned ship menues (just like the 5 & 6 key bug above). The chirp sound is played, but the laser targeting does not change, not on my own ship either! The other keys work as expected.
Suggested Fix: all hot keys work in the menus if those commands (and thier hotkeys) are being displayed there.
Last edited by DuncanMc on Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

Autopilog Bug

Post by DuncanMc » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:18

Autopilot Bug:

* In Herrons Nebula you crash into an asteroid (replicable). When you are halfway between the north and the West gate. Go for the south gate and you crash into the asteroid ASTF-96 if SETA (8x or 10x) is on. (Miscalculated bounding box intersect or SETA effect? I didn't test with SETA off, but will if you want.)
Suggested Quick Fix: As this did not happen in X2 I assume there was a change in the bounding box tests in X3. Test code changes against X2 code.
Suggested Fix: would be nice if the autopilot used a simple shortest path routing algorithm instead of the "straight to target, avoid things" algorithm you have now.[/i]
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

Graphical Bug and others

Post by DuncanMc » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:24

Graphics transparency bug:

* In sectors with lots of matter (space fog) the object transparency is incorrect. If you come towards an object (e.g. space station) then you can see the stars through it, before it becomes more and more opaque. So it looks like the object ordering is fog -> background stars -> object; instead of the correct fog -> object -> background stars?
Example screenshot in Paranid Prime, paranid trading space station
Note: if this is required for half way decent updates, then leave it in. I just think if you can paste a planet in front of that "star scape" background then a few other objects shouldn't cause that much probs speed wise.
Suggested Fix: Actually it would be best to remove the star scape in the foggy sectors... you should't be able to see them any way with all that matter floating around!

Menu bug:

* The "Trade Menu" (best buys, best sales) allows you to select stations in the list with the target "t" key. But does not show the selection with the usual ">> >>" before the name.
Screenshot showing trade menu, selected station from menu is targeted, but the ">> >>" selection is missing.

BBS script bugs:

* The "Environmental Failure leaves Station in Runins" BBS message displays a variable instead of the race name: "Following what may be the worst environmental failures in $GOVERMENT1$"...
Screenshot of wrong text output.
This happend to me during the Mission 7 (The Pleasure Complex) part 1, when docked to the Trading station in Thuroks Beard and later at the silicon mine.

* Mission 7 (The Pleasure Complex) part 2, when docked to the Trading station in Thuroks Beard, the Mission BBS message "Transport pilots needed" comes up multiple times (4,6,7 and 8 of 8 messages).

Missing feature causes crash:

* Most 3D games in full screen block the screen saver. If you pause and go away the screen saver actives. No way out so far apart from a hard reset.
Note: I tried getting back in but only get a black screen. Esc, Pause, Alt-F4, any key, Ctrl-Alt-Del all did not work.
Last edited by DuncanMc on Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:58, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

Sector map does not clean up properly when exiting bug

Post by DuncanMc » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 01:43

Sector map leaves cruft bug:

* When exiting the sector map (e.g. with the "Del" key) after having selected something to dock to it leaves the "follow me" button on the screen for a bit as well as the tooltips.
Screenshot showing the button still on screen. Note the button where the arrow cursor is.
Cheers,
DuncanMc

DuncanMc
x3

Sector map, Mission and Voice Acting bug

Post by DuncanMc » Fri, 13. Jan 06, 20:10

Mission Bugs:

* Mission 7 (The Pleasure Complex) the last in-game cutscene that shows you forcing the last pirate to crash into the station. The camera view is right of center in the rear of your ship. Depending on the ship this will cause you to see very little ;-).
Example Screenshot with a Falcon (which is the first M3 most users will be able to get)

* When you dock on to The Maurauder (after Mission 7, The Pleasure Complex) the voice says "Welome to this Teracorp station.", where it should give the pirate station welcome instead.

* When you dock on to The Maurauder (after Mission 7, The Pleasure Complex) the BBS postings are from "unkown object". I have had this on other stations, but it is always reproducable here. (Save game / screen shots on request).

* When you dock on to The Maurauder (after Mission 7, The Pleasure Complex) the it has nothing to trade... which is unlikely. I would at least expext pirate base wares.

Sector Map Bugs:

* When in the sector map, pressing "k" brings up a miniture view of the sector with a white background slightly below and to the left of the sector map. This is intermittant but if you press "k" in a few games you will see it. (Save game on request).
Example Screenshot

* If you had the sector map open (e.g. with ".") then switch to the first monitor (e.g. with "F4") you will see the sector map in the window if you grow that window (e.g. with "F3") . (Screenshot on request, but you can do it ;-)). After a second the corect image will appear. This is probably related to similar bugs in my list earlier...
Cheers,
DuncanMc

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sat, 14. Jan 06, 00:18

DuncanMc

Sorry for not spotting this earlier but i tend to look for plot descriptions in the subject line of posts.

To be honest, grouping all the issues in 1 post isnt really that helpful since player discriptions dont always match the mission with the issue. So when people reply the thread becomes a confusing mess.

It happens every day around here. :/

As for your reports.

Mission 2 stuff, yes seen them but missions change subtly between matches and these little issues tend to fixed by the plot guys before we see them. Which didnt happen this time around as you noticed.

Mission 3 stuff. Needs checking out, i need to start a new game in 1.3 anyway so when i do i'll make a point of watching for those.

Mission 7: Never seen that view or heard it reported so i cannot confirm it my self. Needs checking out but since theres a another bug after the PC mission I would have expected to hear about it by now. I'll have a chat with the plot guys about.

In the mean time, keep your saves handy if you have any from around the time of mission 7.

Thanks.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

DuncanMc
x3

Update 1.4.03

Post by DuncanMc » Mon, 4. Sep 06, 21:40

these bugs are still in 1.4.03 guess they will not be fixed, ever?

Like the game, hate the bugs. :cry:

How about egosoft hire a non-graphics programmer? Seriously!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
DuncanMc

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”