I have written a script to get the full use from SOS, anyone interested in using or hosting it ? It is in .zip and .spk formats.
System Override Software - restored and improved. 2006/08/07
System Override Software (referred to as SOS 1 from now on), costs about 600k from pirate stations. But what do you get for your money.
- It saves you space-walking to claim a ship.
- It is illegal to have it in the ship you are flying.
Great, you can pay all that money, and then be forced to dump it if the Police catch you, and you lose your licence as well. Just to save a spacewalk.
So why bother with it, just go and buy the legal Mark 2 version for just over 6 Million credits. That's ten times as much!
I have spent some time (and money) drinking at pirate stations, and in places frequented by Police, Customs, and Military personnel. In doing so, I have had a few bad hangovers, but I have learned some very interesting things about SOS 1:-
- Everyone is laughing at you.
- YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF.
- You have been told the truth about SOS 1, but not the WHOLE TRUTH.
I have been testing the information that I learned while getting the hangovers, and I have found out that the SOS 1 that you have been sold has been crippled to only work on your personal ship.
I have re-engineered the SOS 1 software to give it back its full functionality. Not only that but I have improved it a little bit.
This is what you need to do:-
- Install this new software, it is in a convenient .spk type package, so is easy to install. For those that like to look at what they are getting, it is also available in a .zip package. The package contents are listed below.
- Buy and install SOS 1 on one of your ships.
- A new option 'SOS Claim' is added to the Piracy command (well it is only available from a Pirate station).
- Send your ship to the sector containing the ship you wish to claim (the 'donation').
- Use the 'SOS Claim' option and target the 'donation', your ship will fly to within 5km of the 'donation', and then claim it for you.
But of course, you probably know all this, as it is the same as if you were running SOS 1 from your personal ship - but now it can be done remotely, and without the risk of being busted. It may be an idea to stock the ship that is performing the remote claiming for you with spare shields, weapons, a jumpdrive kit, some energy cells etc. Oh yes, the ship performing the claiming can be a TS. Or send a few fighters to protect the 'donation'.
Now for the improvements I mentioned, SOS 1 now works on your TL or Carrier, and docks the claimed ship for you.
- There is a new option 'Claim and Dock' only for TL's and Carriers
If SOS 1 is installed on a TL or a Carrier, then it will do the same as above - but will also order the newly claimed ship to dock at the TL/Carrier, so you might want to be a bit closer than 5km.
The next improvement is a great timesaver - if you have a Transporter Device aboard your TL/Carrier then the claimed ship will be teleported aboard, after the 10 seconds required for the teleporter to operate.
If there are more ships to claim, and you have enough hangar space, just tell your TL/Carrier the next 'donation' to claim. Otherwise, send your TL/Carrier to the nearest dockyard to sell (remember to take out any useful 'goodies') or repair the 'donations'.
All of this works without you being there to supervise the operation, you just need to give the orders. Mind you, if there are enemy ships around, you might want to be there to protect your TL/Carrier - you may be lucky and pick up a few more 'donations'.
- If you are flying the TL/Carrier (yes it also works if you are piloting) the SOS 1 is illegal, you can get busted for owning it. There is no such problem if you are not flying the ship.
- If you had some fighters aboard the TL/Carrier, and they were out protecting the ship, and you filled up all the hangar space with your 'donations' - then these fighters would have nowhere to dock, possibly an expensive oversight - so watch you hangar space.
Now the price for all this, well - as I said, you are being ripped off, you have already bought the SOS 1 software, and the TL or Carrier and possibly the Transporter Device. So I am giving you this upgrade for free, although a small donation to a new hangover would not go amiss, but I think that I might have to charge for the next improvement I have in mind..
Now I am sure that I had some other 'donations' that were only worth scrap value, but I can't remember where I left them.. curse this failing memory .. I am sure that I can improve this software to add a search for my missing 'donations' ... If I just add .. what! the auto voice transcriber is still on - better turn it off then before I ......
448891.xml ................ the 't' file (goes in 't' folder)
setup.claimndock.xml ...... the setup file (goes in scripts folder)
a.sosclaim.xml ............ the new software (goes in scripts folder)
a.claimndock.xml .......... the new software (goes in scripts folder)
readme.txt ................ this file (goes in wastepaper basket)
COMMAND_TYPE_PIRACY_21 and 22
Text file 448891
Boron - Ol Fh'art