Excel help please

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rapier
x3tc

Excel help please

Post by Rapier » Mon, 1. Dec 03, 22:47

I imagine I may stand a better chance of getting an answer here than from the folks I asked at work (I think we run 2000)...

I have a rather complicated Excel question that I hope someone can understand and help with. I have a set of data in three columns, the first is an (institution) name, the second and third are two pieces of numeric data about each institution (called X and Y, see below for an example of the data). I want to produce a scatter plot of X versus Y for each institution, or rather, I want to do this lots of times for different groups of institutions, data etc. The only way I have managed to create the scatter plot successfully is by selecting the individual cells for Name, X and Y values in step 2 of the chart wizard. This is very time consuming and I'm looking for a quicker way of completing this task. I can easily plot X vs Y as a single data series but cannot label the points by their institutional names, I can also create multiple named series but with the plotting as X1 vs X2,3,4 & Y1 vs Y2,3,4 etc. instead of X1 vs Y1, X2 vs Y2 etc. If anyone has any suggestions they would be most welcome.

Anglia Polytechnic University 97 8
Cranfield University 88 13
Norwich School of Art & Design 99 5
University of Cambridge 55 1
University of East Anglia 87 5
University of Essex 94 7
University of Hertfordshire 96 7
University of Luton 98 9
Writtle College 89 6
ES Average 83 6

Sorry, can't tell you what the figures actually mean (at least not 'til they're officially released next week, anyway, I might have changed a few :wink: )
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 1. Dec 03, 23:00

One possible solution is to simply record the wizard steps you want to follow as a macro (Tools, Macro, Record New Macro), and then replay it for each group. This may or may not work depending on whether the size of the groups you want to plot is constant, and if not whether you can work out a sequence of actions that will be consistent whatever the size of the dataset.

There are other solutions, including writing code in VBA, but these could end up taking longer than doing the task by hand unless it is something you are going to be doing frequently rather than as a one-off process.

Incidentally, with the forum changes about to kick in, you might want to get a friendly mod to move this to the off-topic forum for you. :)

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 10:56

Thanks CBJ. Looks like I might have a lot of mindless clicking ahead of me. I thought the forum changes didn't come into effect for a few days yet, still, make the mods earn thier money, eh. :wink:
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Dec 03, 15:36

*Poof*!

The djinni mod appears and waves his magic wand...yes, Rapier, you SHALL go to the Off Topic section!

*/Poof*

Return to “Off Topic English”