Question on ddr ram

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

wilhil

Question on ddr ram

Post by wilhil » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 04:12

hi

I may be selling computers and stuff, but all the pcs I have sold to date have been with sd ram, and I do not understand the speed of ddr,

on one of my stockist listing it says 256mb 333mhz 2700

on sdram all you needed to know was the speed,
n motherboard specs it says ddr 400 max, but when I clicked on more info it sais for the ram 333mhz, and it said pc speed 2700. I was wondering what does this speed mean, and how can i find out on the motherboard if it will take it....

basically i just need more information on ddr!

thanks

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 04:24

Try here first...

http://www.crucial.com/kb/FAQByCategory ... owCount=10

...and I'm sure pjk will be along in short order too! :thumb_up:

Slink
x2

Post by Slink » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 10:46

The speed applies to the front side bus of the main board.
400MHz would mean the processor, and ram, are running at 200MHz DDR - double data rate.
All ram speeds are backwards compatible, so you can but PC3200 (400MHz) and use it in a mainboard that only supports 2700 (333), and it will run at the defaulted speed.

One thing you can do, if the mainboard is only running PC2700, is overclock the CPU FSB to 200, and down the multiplier so it's running at about the same speed, and use PC3200 RAM. This worked on mmine, but it was about the last of the 333FSB AMD's.

Anyway, to find out what speed FSB you are running, check out AIDA32, which will tell you in the motherboard section what speed you need, as will the manual and most reviews or spec sheets for a board. If you're in the UK, try checking our overclockers.co.uk for RAM, where I can ensure you they tell you exactly what speed the RAM is (also very competitive prices and superb service).
Prudent or not, once the scythe comes out, I'm probably gonna haul ass!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 11:46

Incidentally, in case you were wondering why 400MHz RAM is called "PC3200", it's because all modern SDRAM or DDR-RAM transfers 64 bits (8 bytes) of information on each operation--therefore you have a theoretical peak transfer rate of 3200 Mb/sec.

wilhil

Post by wilhil » Sat, 29. Nov 03, 13:08

ahhh, getcha! so the speed is actually 2700 or whatever, the mhz only refears to the proccessor speed!

fancy a system builder not to know that!

oh well thanks for all of your help!

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”