Modify TShip.pck

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

xxx73
x3tc

Modify TShip.pck

Post by xxx73 » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 16:11

I don't like the slow speed of all ships bigger than M4 and I don't like the "small" cargo space on all ships except the traders, especially when I’m thinking about having hull repair functionality that use alot of EC on my ships.

But before I start to modify any setting in TShip.pck, I want to know about any downsides such changes can have. I want to increase speed around 30-40% allover and cargo space with 30-50% too. What kind of negative effects can such changes have?

Another thing I wonder about is what kind of settings i should change. E.g. if I increase speed is it smart to also increase factors like yaw, pitch, acceleration, angular acceleration, engine tuning, rudder tuning, reactor output etc?

What about cargo changes, will that have any negative effects?

I'm not sure what factors that are important and what they all mean, so I welcome anyone who can clarify that for me too.

Tore

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 16:40

Acceleration would be a good thing to change. If you are increasing speed, increasing acceleration will help when the ship is decelerating. Have you ever seen a TL heading towards you at 300m/s trying to decelerate? The AI can handle faster than normal ships, but additional movement will help.
As for cargo changes, increasing is safer than decreasing as that may adversely affect some ships already carrying full loads. I think the game is smart enough to ignore those ships until they drop of the cargo.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

xxx73
x3tc

Post by xxx73 » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 18:17

Thanks Xenon_Slayer, thats a good start .

What about the other factors? It the ship fly faster and accelerate faster, won't it need better handling? Does yaw and pitch have anything to do with handling?

And what about engine tuning and rudder tuning, will that make the ship go faster and more easy to maneuver?

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 18:31

If you increase the ship's engine/rudder tunings (say, 12 to 18), it will increase their top speed (as it will show in the editor.

The easiest way to do it is to just change the min/max speed of the ship.

I would advise, if you're increasing accel/top speed by much, increasing the "handling" values proportionately would make the AI happy.

xxx73
x3tc

Post by xxx73 » Mon, 27. Apr 09, 20:51

Brilliant fud :)

I feel I have enough info to at least try to modify, but if anyone have any more info on this subject, please share.

Thanks for all help so far.

Tore

Eric the Viking
x3tc

Post by Eric the Viking » Sat, 2. May 09, 04:34

I had a question relating to the TShips file, so I might as well use this thread... ;)

When the game loads, it reads the 07.cat which, as of 2.0a, contains the latest version of the TShips.pck file. Do changes to this file affect ships created only after those changes or does it affect already existing ships?

For example, I created (cheated) or bought a ship A which has a speed of 100m/s. I then exit the game, edit the TShip file to give ship A 200m/s. When I reload the game, will my ship A have a 200m/s speed or will only new ships have that 200m/s speed?

EDIT: Never mind, I tried it and changes are reflected regardless of when the ship is created.

Another question: How does one change the weapons that can be mounted in the turret?

Cheers.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Sat, 2. May 09, 06:59

If you make a change to any egosoft ship in tships, it immediately affects ALL ships in the game, both present and future.

Ie, you make your personal Nova go 500 in tships, then every Nova will potentially go 500.

If your Nova was a pirate nova before you capped it, then every pirate nova in the game will suddenly have a potential top speed of 500.

Be carefull what you change.

SecondAcc
x3tc

Post by SecondAcc » Sat, 2. May 09, 10:16

Eric the Viking wrote: Another question: How does one change the weapons that can be mounted in the turret?

Cheers.
In the TShips you can see, which "cockpits" a ship uses for its different turrets. And in the TCockpits you find those cockpits.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”