1.4 Mobile Mining

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Verärgert
x3

1.4 Mobile Mining

Post by Verärgert » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 16:37

The first thing I did after installing 1.4 was to finally do some mobile mining....or so i thought.

so I jumped into my mining equiped ship (3*25Mj, Mining laser, Ore Collecter, mineral scanner) and off i went to that nice sector with NIVIDIUM Roids. broke a roid up into pieces, then broke the pieces untill they were collectable, set ship to collect rocks in sector.....emmm so now i can sit back and wait for my cargo bay to fill with lovely nividium....NO, the ship just flew all over the place, whenever it gets near a roid i want it swerves at the last moment 60 meters because it thinks its going to hit another nearby roid. This is because when the roids split they don;t scatter far enough.

so I tried doing it manual, BANG, BANG BANG went the roids i tried to collect, untill i dropped shields (open cargo bay) then it worked, but each roid is only 1 unit even if it appears as 7 in the scanner.

So i jumped into another ship and tried leaving it on auto collect rocks. OOS it appears to work, even to the point that it breakes other fragments down and collects them (by fragment i mean if you break the main roid once into fragments that are NOT collectable normally).
I came back into sector while it was collecting and heard a mighty BANG, as I came through the gate, seams that it still smashes into Roids while collecting if your in sector)

Still some issues here but atleast I finally got over 120 units of Nividium.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 18:16

They should have just had the mining laser work like it does in Eve Online and just fire a continual stream of energy at the rocks while ore magically appears in the cargo bay. Hell, if they wanted to make it more realistic they could require you to have a transporter installed while doing it so that it can passively teleport the broken up ore directly into the ship.

That took about 5 seconds to think about. :roll:

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 18:32

i agree. it should be like the tractor beam or something where you lock onto an asteroid and absorb the ore until it has expired.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 18:34

ncc386 wrote:They should have just had the mining laser work like it does in Eve Online and just fire a continual stream of energy at the rocks while ore magically appears in the cargo bay. Hell, if they wanted to make it more realistic they could require you to have a transporter installed while doing it so that it can passively teleport the broken up ore directly into the ship.

That took about 5 seconds to think about. :roll:
Hm.. Eve Online isn't the X series though, and demanding things from other games doesn't help really since they're design matters. Which reminds me on myself being yelled when asking if there's a direct control of my ship in Eve Online, and I heard "This is not X² !!" even without naming it...

Btw, took me 1 sec to think about this only ! ;)

Erm... on-topic:
I hope I'll find out how it actually does work somehow, I was just planning to use the new function just like you did - but your description doesn't make me feel comfortable at all !

Uzi77
x4

Re: 1.4 Mobile Mining

Post by Uzi77 » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 19:03

Verärgert wrote:Still some issues here but atleast I finally got over 120 units of Nividium.
Have fun selling them.... :P

Verärgert
x3

Re: 1.4 Mobile Mining

Post by Verärgert » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 19:06

Uzi77 wrote:
Verärgert wrote:Still some issues here but atleast I finally got over 120 units of Nividium.
Have fun selling them.... :P
i have 4 EQ docks in Paranid space ...they sell for 24k each :lol:

Uzi77
x4

Post by Uzi77 » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 19:07

Equipment docks buy them? Which ones, or are they scripted?

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 20:07

Uzi77 wrote:Equipment docks buy them? Which ones, or are they scripted?
I have my own EQ docks and sell them to the Paranid @ 24K each....great for increasing your race rep.

I do not run any scripts or mods.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 20:18

I've just started mobile mining, and I'm having a lot of fun.

The trick, it seems, is to break up the rocks, then teleport into another ship (I have a scout now for prospecting). Then go OOS and tell it to collect said rocks. This works very well.

WHat I'm wondering right now is, what is the furthest you can be from an asteroid and still hit it with the mining laser? I'm finding that a bit of distance makes life easier, but I don't know the limit.

I'm trying this myself now, bu first I have several hundred silicon rocks to collect (ah, the joys of working alt-tab, who knew?).

Can anyone point me to an nvidium asteroid?
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 22:25

Spoiler
Show
Go to the Unknown sector North-West of Getsu. 3 Nividium Roids 3, 5 and 7 values will net you over 120 units. Good sector too for a home base....no intruders other than Xeneon....the say hello to 30 laser towers just as they enter the sector :lol:

If they get past them theres always a split M1 and M2 lined up.

Uzi77
x4

Post by Uzi77 » Wed, 15. Mar 06, 22:39

Verärgert wrote:I have my own EQ docks and sell them to the Paranid @ 24K each....great for increasing your race rep.

Do you sell them to the paranid stations, or do they buy them from your EQ Docks @ 24K?

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 09:47

Uzi77 wrote:
Verärgert wrote:I have my own EQ docks and sell them to the Paranid @ 24K each....great for increasing your race rep.

Do you sell them to the paranid stations, or do they buy them from your EQ Docks @ 24K?
The Paranid Buy from my EQ docks.
It is the only item that they will buy from EQ docs ???

EDIT: I use to sell Nividium in X2 from EQ docks in paranid space and getsu....but after a whole day of play none of my EQ docks have sold any Nividium....Nice one Ego...I even have a disfunctional Nividium mine bought from the Tekadi as an Ore mine....but it seams Nividium has no use in X3. I suppose I could try sellling it inside an old frieghter for half its value at a ship yard. In X2 I think the Space jewelery factories use to buy Nividium as a secondary resource...but not in X3 :(
Last edited by Verärgert on Thu, 16. Mar 06, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 10:16

@CBJ Anychance somone from EGO can confirm my report?

1. In sector Mobile Mining with Special Command "collect Rocks" does not work. Fragments too close together.

2. In Sector manual Mobile Mining works If you open Cargo Bay Doors/Lower Shields. but each fragment is only stored in the ship as QTY 1 regardless of the value shown in the Mineral Scanner.

3. OOS Mobile mining works if you break the Asteroid once. The ship even collects fragments listed as not collectable.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 11:05

Verärgert wrote:1. In sector Mobile Mining with Special Command "collect Rocks" does not work. Fragments too close together.
That seems logical and almost unavoidable.
Verärgert wrote:2. In Sector manual Mobile Mining works If you open Cargo Bay Doors/Lower Shields. but each fragment is only stored in the ship as QTY 1 regardless of the value shown in the Mineral Scanner.
How many cargo units does one unit of Nividium take? IIRC, one Sil Wafer is 18 units. A piece of rock has yield, QTY and volume (=QTY*size).
Verärgert wrote:3. OOS Mobile mining works if you break the Asteroid once. The ship even collects fragments listed as not collectable.
Have you tried on a sector that has those smaller roids? They usually need a bit of fragmenting, but nowhere near the amount the on-sector-map ones do. BTW, those can be broken with AIRE (at least in 1.3). Hence a scout could do the breaking and leave the TS to gather. Some say that the smaller fragments recompose into larger ones quite rapidly. If the "Collect rocks" indeed picks up bigger rocks too, then one could just start the TS in a sector with some, without any mining. Sounds too easy.

Jakesnake5
x4

Post by Jakesnake5 » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 11:30

Have you tried a ship with a pair of APSG's? Good for groups of rocks initial breaking. :D

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 14:12

jlehtone wrote:If the "Collect rocks" indeed picks up bigger rocks too, then one could just start the TS in a sector with some, without any mining. Sounds too easy.
Tried it last night, set my Caimen miner to collect rocks in Ore Belt. Checking the sector map the ship wasn't moving, but it's cargo bay was filling up with Ore. I hadn't broken up any asteroids first so I'm not sure what size it's picking.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 14:22

"Collect rocks" in sector just does not work well enough yet.

OOS collection behaviour is strange. I broke up rocks before leaving and then set four argon mercs to collect. However, only the merc fitted with an APGS picked up rocks. The other craft were fitted with ore collectors but no weaopons. This might mean the OOS command behaviour is actually "Mine rocks" or only one ship can collect in a given sector.

It is good to see the roid tubes graphics glitch is gone. BPSGs are now even more effective is getting rid of the plague.

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 16:43

Jakesnake5 wrote:Have you tried a ship with a pair of APSG's? Good for groups of rocks initial breaking. :D
No, I thought that this bug was being fixed in 1.4, but have today shot some small roids with AHEPT during an XI mission. 4hrs and my combat rank of Crusader 50% has gone to Crusader 70%, mission is still not finished yet...this XI is harder than the others I have done in 1.3.
Now the L's and M's B line for me and are more manouvrable than before.
Only me and a Split M2 to do all the work.
the Invincable defenders of 1.3 are no more.

I have also noticed that i still have the black screen when jumping,,,,that was suppose to have been fixed.

Verärgert
x3

Post by Verärgert » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 17:01

Bunny wrote:"Collect rocks" in sector just does not work well enough yet.

OOS collection behaviour is strange. I broke up rocks before leaving and then set four argon mercs to collect. However, only the merc fitted with an APGS picked up rocks. The other craft were fitted with ore collectors but no weaopons. This might mean the OOS command behaviour is actually "Mine rocks" or only one ship can collect in a given sector.

It is good to see the roid tubes graphics glitch is gone. BPSGs are now even more effective is getting rid of the plague.
Yes. it does say that the special command only works if ships have Mining laser etc....I suppose they class APSG as a mining laser. Try fitting the others with weapons and let us know what happens. :wink:
Last edited by Verärgert on Thu, 16. Mar 06, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Thu, 16. Mar 06, 17:04

Verärgert wrote:I have also noticed that i still have the black screen when jumping,,,,that was suppose to have been fixed.
It looks like the fix was to show (very briefly, for a split second (and I could be wrong about this)) the view materialising as you enter the sector (so you get "fade out, black, fade in" instead of "fade out, black, there"). I think it's a slight improvement aover what it was, even if the black screen hasn't strictly been fixed.

sorry for hijacking the thread by the way...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”