Wasp Missles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

woodboats
x3

Wasp Missles

Post by woodboats » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 04:47

These are probably my favorite missile as I can actually fire them during combat without blowing myself up! They make lots of "boom" noises and look great in a fight.
But... I also realize they don't do a great deal of damage to larger ships. Would anyone have any hints to fire larger missiles during combat or must you mostly slow down before launching? Thank you.

Seven05
x3

Post by Seven05 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 04:56

The advantage of the Wasp missiles against larger targets is that they distract the turrets, hopefully long enough for a real missile to reach the target :)

There is a heavier swarm missile but I always get the name wrong.

Tartarus
x3

Post by Tartarus » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 05:09

Typhoon? Tempest?

Something like that. :P

Also, there are "Tornado" and "Blizzard" missiles supposedly, but I haven't seen one in my entire time in X3, so I doubt they even exist. :evil:
"It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black."
masterk wrote:Dont get too excited about getting an M2/M1 though, the races would have your babies before they sell you one.

Mokonzi
x3tc

Post by Mokonzi » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 07:30

Tartarus wrote:Typhoon? Tempest?

Something like that. :P

Also, there are "Tornado" and "Blizzard" missiles supposedly, but I haven't seen one in my entire time in X3, so I doubt they even exist. :evil:
Typhoon is the name of the missile (Tempest is a single missile). Typhoon has multiple armaments and Image Recognition.

They are an awesome sight when fired, as long as not at you.

Tornado are high yield multiple dumbfire missiles. Not used them but they can be bought.

Look out for Swarm Missile factories.

Syklon
x3

Post by Syklon » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 07:34

Some missiles can't be bought, can only be gotten by killing pirates/xenon/khaak, etc. So if you want those missiles your just gonna have to kill more people :twisted:

Course I think theres a mod by Stevio that allows you to build facts that make said missiles, but I prefer killing things.

That said watch out for firestorm torpedoes, they have a nasty habit of blowing up in my face and taking me out (in an dragon) b/c im going too fast

Gavrusik
x3

Post by Gavrusik » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 07:35

Only one problem with Wasps... Try firing at a pirate who is interfering with a station.. invariable the wasp hits the station then the station threatens you for trying to protect it!!

Typhoon is pretty amazing beast too, very long lived, you can fire from a long long way off and if it can catch the target it will toast most M3s

skankpsycho

Post by skankpsycho » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 10:26

best thing to do with the larger missiles is slow down b4 you launch.

had troubles using the unknown object missile but dropped speed to bout 100 and no launching pobs.

can be dangerous cause if you missile gets shot down you blow up too but they are great m6 and tl killers

theres a missile guide in the tutorials sticky post that tells you their speed and payload etc take a look at that.

skyb1ue
x3

Post by skyb1ue » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 11:50

I have the perfect marriage of missile and M3, silkworms and Nova Raider 167m/s and 145 m/s respectively.

With the missile slightly quicker I dont need to worry about it tagging me even if it has to do a 180 to the target. The speed difference being quite small allows me to do some pretty nasty runs to the target and the silworm is a good hitter, 5 kill an Xenon L, 7 a Xenon P, so if made yourself a stock of 50 goes along way to clearing a patrol or sector without firing a shot.
Guess who got his copy for christmas

skyb1ue
x3

Post by skyb1ue » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 11:52

If only it were possible to cap 'em a P.
Guess who got his copy for christmas

RogueTrader
x3tc

Post by RogueTrader » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 17:04

I'm thinking of building my own missiles. I think I will get a Typhoon and a Wasp factory added to my equipment complex :)

Shame about not all missiles in the manual are available to build.

RavenIII
x4

Post by RavenIII » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 18:21

skyb1ue wrote:I have the perfect marriage of missile and M3, silkworms and Nova Raider 167m/s and 145 m/s respectively.

With the missile slightly quicker I dont need to worry about it tagging me even if it has to do a 180 to the target. The speed difference being quite small allows me to do some pretty nasty runs to the target and the silworm is a good hitter, 5 kill an Xenon L, 7 a Xenon P, so if made yourself a stock of 50 goes along way to clearing a patrol or sector without firing a shot.
Nice, Although to save on wasting all those silkworms, you could take the shields down, then launch it... will usually kill them in one. Although for the Xenon P I cannot confirm, you may need two... And I was flying a corvette (A. Centaur).

Cheers,
RavenIII.

Seven05
x3

Post by Seven05 » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 18:37

Yep, it's the Typhoon and I had forgotten how wicked those missiles are. I sat in Split Fire slaughtering entire waves of Pirates just because it was cool to hear the first one curse at you for attacking him and then watch all of his wingmates explode regardless of what they were flying. No caps but it sure was fun. Makes quick work of transports too :)

Jolly_Roger_uk
x3

Post by Jolly_Roger_uk » Tue, 14. Feb 06, 19:11

I had a XI mission in Thyns abyss, there was a single K, 3 P's and about 50 or so L'S and M's.

I bought about 50 silkworms, 100 tornado's, and about 70 thunderbolts.

I sat about 6km away from the Xenon fighters and just kept launching Tornado's until all the fighters were toast, then moved in to take out the P's with Thunderbolts and APPC fire, then used APPC fire and thunderbolts to take out the K.

Got 37 confirmed xenon fighter kills, 3 P and one K kill.

Made about 9 million credits and the missiles probably cost about 4 million, so I made about 5 million profit and got a huge split rep boost.

And did'nt even lost one bit of my shields at all.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”