Do I really need "Thereshallbewings"?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Luai

Do I really need "Thereshallbewings"?

Post by Luai » Mon, 10. Feb 14, 02:34

I don't know what I did, or if there has just been a collection of misinformation... but for some reason my game marks itself as "*** modified ***" when starting a new game with mods installed; and hence appears to run any scripts without needing to enter "Thereshallbewings."

I mean, I can verify that http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=117616 works (which, of all things, should not; I assume.) [And I can confirm that the script editor will not open while scripts appear to be working.]

So the question remains, do I really need to have the script editor active to run scripts... and if so, why? What does it add that I supposedly need? And how did I manage this anyways?

*Confused or what not.

*Wonders if I asked this before:
Just tried loading up an existing unmodified game and it did seem to load scripts correctly... (unfortunately it crashed before I could check modified tag... but I don't want to have to start uninstalling to test or what not; I know there are a few things that "would really really like" a new game installed but yeah).

Huggins777

Post by Huggins777 » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 19:05

no expert on this situation but in my search for great scripts/mods i do remember reading a few scripts that said you can install it by simple copy+paste into the x3 directory. I suppose similar to XTM, it doesn't need "Thereshallbewings" and it has tons of scripts :) and functions great. If its not affecting your gameplay i wouldn't worry about it and just be happy that you had one thing less to do to get them to work.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: Do I really need "Thereshallbewings"?

Post by euclid » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 19:07

Luai wrote: ......
So the question remains, do I really need to have the script editor active to run scripts... and if so, why? What does it add that I supposedly need? And how did I manage this anyways?
In general you do not need to activate the SE via "Thereshallbewings" to make scripts work. The SE is primarily needed only if you want to write and test scripts. However, there are scripts that won't start 'automatically' and then you need the SE to run them.

Concerning the *modified* tag I'm not sure myself. I've tried to run a vanilla game (just to get these nice badges) without activating the SE but still my very first saved game was already *modified*. I think the engine searches (all) your savegame folder(s) and if there is a modified saved game then every new saved game is also tagged.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 11. Feb 14, 22:20

-> unsigend Scripts which dont start with a ! are only loaded/executed if the Game is in ***modified*** mode

-> the most common way to get the Game into ***modified*** mode is to activate the SE, although others work, too:
- for example adding a !setup.set.modified script which only does return null, and when executed sets the Game to ***modified*** mode
- starting a Game with Modified Files (e.g. TShips) does the same
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Luai

Post by Luai » Sat, 15. Feb 14, 22:35

UniTrader wrote:-> unsigend Scripts which dont start with a ! are only loaded/executed if the Game is in ***modified*** mode

-> the most common way to get the Game into ***modified*** mode is to activate the SE, although others work, too:
- for example adding a !setup.set.modified script which only does return null, and when executed sets the Game to ***modified*** mode
- starting a Game with Modified Files (e.g. TShips) does the same

That explains a long held wonder :D

So x3files.xml checks its "many different hashes scrambled together" type deal against the core files and instead of rejecting if the game isn't "***modified***", it forces the game to be modified. (Now that I say it like that, it seems rather obvious)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 20. Feb 14, 18:27

pretty much yeah. its only scripts that are not run if the game is not modified, anything else will force the game into modified mode if needed.

also if you are using the plugin manager, when you set that to modified mode, it also sets it in the game.

The advise about "Thereshallbewings" is simply because its easy to explain and you dont have to worry about what will and wont work without modified mode

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”