doubleshadow's DBOX2 (1.11)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

doubleshadow
x3

doubleshadow's DBOX2 (1.11)

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 18:16

DBOX2 latest version 1.11 - released 21.5.2010

Download from www.doubleshadow.wz.cz

DBOX2 page on X-Wiki

Changes:
Works with 3ds Max 2010 and 2011 (x86/x64).
Issue with materials which occurred on x64 3ds Max should be fixed.

Description
Program written in MaxScript which allows you to import/export body and scene files used in X2 - The Threat and X3 Reunion

This is a MaxScript program and not a 3ds Max plugin. Read the included readme before posting silly questions please.

Compatibility:
3ds max (5 - 2011) or gmax

Partially compatible with 3ds Max 2008 - texture UV coordinates will be wrong, other stuff works.
Last edited by doubleshadow on Fri, 21. May 10, 11:10, edited 13 times in total.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 18:23

I'm completely out of time. I've never published anything in such hurry.

I did my best to write tutorial for complete idiots. However I hadn't time to re-read anything nor to test everything in DBOX...

There are 2 help files shipped with DBOX. DBOX manuall which is somewhat brief and "X3 modding documentaion" I've wrote for you.

Both files are copied into help directory in 3ds max/gmax. You can open them directly from DBOX interface.

Read both carefully and I hope it will work for you.

Because this is my last day here until new year, you are pretty much on your own.

You will have to extract your game with X3 ModManager and decompile all the bobs with new X2BC. gmax users will also have to convert the dds textures into something supported by gmax.

That's all - happy xmas.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 19:18

I have logged a fair bit of testing time on the various beta's leading up to this release, and will provide my best effort to answer any questions in Doubleshadow's absence.

Kreaken
x3

Post by Kreaken » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 22:41

Nice work. I've viewed several of the models and the only glitch I encountered was that my memory setting for maxscript was too low. Now I can set proper polygon and texture limits for my own projects!

InvrSmall
x3tc

Post by InvrSmall » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 22:41

Thank you. :D

You've managed to give us a full set of modding tools for X3 before Egosoft even finished the X2 set. 8)

Bubba Fat
x3

Post by Bubba Fat » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 23:10

Modders..... start your engines. 8)

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 20. Dec 05, 23:20

Thanks a bunch DS! :D Once 1.3 comes 'round it will be a grand day for modders!

Reminder: You MUST get rid of the old DBOX2 for this to work! It has a filename of "DBOX2.mzp" and it is in "[3dsmax/gmax]\scripts\startup", it will take priority over the new one!
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 20. Jan 06, 17:00

Version 1.5 is out.

Check the 1st post for changes.

Please re-read the Materials section in the tutorial help file (part of dbox installation). It will explain you what the "big" Material6 really is (or what I think it is).

Grunks
x3tc

Post by Grunks » Tue, 31. Jan 06, 20:45

removed as this type of stuff is too hard for me

JonusITA
x3

Post by JonusITA » Wed, 15. Feb 06, 17:42

ok, i've got a problem with this, using 3dsmax 7 and dbox2 1.5

i've followed the instruction for the configuration of the various path,

i've made a cube (well, a borg cube, at least make an uber 6-poly ship :D), with texture (just a simple texture)

i've exported it as a body, all worked fine, saved in .bod format

when i try to load it (as body) to create a new scene appears this error (from the max listener):

>> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Unknown property: "error" in BodParser m_tokenTreshold:100 m_tokenUnloadTreshold:200 m_parser:bodTXTParser m_file:undefined m_lineIdx:0 tokens:#() char_semicolon:59 char_colon:58 char_openBracket:123 char_closeBracket:125 char_tab:9 char_slash:47 char_space:32 m_right:0 m_pos:0 m_state:1 goodbit:0 failbit:1 eofbit:2 badbit:4 <<

any hints on how to resolve this? or at least if someone can explain me what it means, if the problem is not in 3ds but in my system, and hot to resolve it

tnx
Last edited by JonusITA on Wed, 15. Feb 06, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Memento Audere Semper

X-Tended Mod Team Member
X-Tended Mod official forums
X-Tended official ship gallery

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Thu, 16. Feb 06, 09:19

Send me the bod file and I'll take a look at it.

JonusITA
x3

Post by JonusITA » Sat, 18. Feb 06, 00:23

any news?
Memento Audere Semper

X-Tended Mod Team Member

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 08:05

JonusITA wrote:any news?
One good and one bad.

Cannot remember the good one so I will tell you the bad:

It works for me...

Uninstall the currect version first by running [3ds max]scripts\DBOX2\DBOX2_uninstall.exe. Choose to remove all (don't keep anything). Then re-download the latest version and install again. That's all I can advise you.

JonusITA
x3

Post by JonusITA » Mon, 20. Feb 06, 09:08

doubleshadow wrote:
JonusITA wrote:any news?
One good and one bad.

Cannot remember the good one so I will tell you the bad:

It works for me...

Uninstall the currect version first by running [3ds max]scripts\DBOX2\DBOX2_uninstall.exe. Choose to remove all (don't keep anything). Then re-download the latest version and install again. That's all I can advise you.
ok tnx, i imagined that was something to do with my system
Memento Audere Semper

X-Tended Mod Team Member

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 20. Apr 06, 05:28

Has anyone been able to get transparent materials with X3 and DBOX?

I've tried adjusting the opacity parameter with no effect. Actually, the MAT6 materials don't seem to have any kind of saved opacity related values that make it into the bod file.

If I use a Standard material with opacity value adjusted, DBOX will export it as a MAT6 small (I guess) with values instead of strings for the various parameters. This works (is transparent) when I import it back into 3DS - but it doesn't work in the game.

I've tried every variation I can think of, including setting the alpha channel with a 24 bit tga, and I've read the old X2 graphics modeling documentation. One thing that bugs me is that I seem to remember doing this successfully once before. Although now I'm beginning to doubt that memory.

I can easily obtain complete transparency by using an "empty" material, but that's not what I'm after.

Any clues?

[edit later on] I am beginning to see something in how the way antennas are done. Slightly less in the dark, but still hunting.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Thu, 20. Apr 06, 08:15

The only things that are really exported from 3ds max (when using material 6) are the textures... Well also the colors but those are not used by x3 :shock: I was simply unable (or not trying hard enough) to find out which "property" from the mat6 is the transparency.

The "small mat6" (the one looking like mat5 but with mat6 header) is handled almost like mat5 by dbox because that is how I think it should work. However it is not used much in default x3 models so I was not able to find out more.

The best thing you can do is to find some body which is transparent (like the various engine effects) and try to find out the correct settings.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 20. Apr 06, 08:21

Thanks for clarifying the existing limitations/contrainsts Doubleshadow.

Yes, I'm slowly sorting out how to do this; though I'm not sure I'll end up with what I really want.

It seems that Alpha channels are being used for transparacy in the dds materials. I need to manually insert the proper parameter strings into the bod file because DBOX/3DS doesn't know how to deal with them.

There is still a slight ray of hope for achieving semi-transparency.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Thu, 20. Apr 06, 19:17

Well it turns out that I CAN achieve semi-transparecy after all. It has to do with using a dds material that has an Alpha mask channel. MAT6 "big" has numerous Alpha and Opacity switches. Texture animation effects can also be achieved. There is lots of interesting stuff that could be done.

Hopefully Egosoft will some day tell us more about these various parameter strings. In the meantime, it's kind of look under every rock and see what crawls out.

I'm just beginning to sort out some of the basics that I'll be using with my upcoming "Stealth" M3 fighter.

doubleshadow
x3

Post by doubleshadow » Fri, 21. Apr 06, 08:26

Yeah I'm aware about the alpha values defined in material6 but I was not able to figure out how it works. Probably because the texture must have some "support" for this. As I never bothered myself with using the nVidia dds viewer/decompiler (I'm using internal viewer in Servant Salamander) I have never seen the various channels included in the texture.

About your "invisible" ship. Try changing the shader to "glass.fx". You will (hopefully) be surprised :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 21. Apr 06, 08:40

doubleshadow wrote:About your "invisible" ship. Try changing the shader to "glass.fx". You will (hopefully) be surprised :)
Yes, I discovered that last night, along with nebulafog.fx. Both of those provide nice effects on materials. :)

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”