Deadly "Bun-Bun" Star Wars ship mod V0.2c

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadlyDa
x4

Deadly "Bun-Bun" Star Wars ship mod V0.2c

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:09

UPDATE:
The Deadly "Bun-Bun" Star Wars ship mod, Version 0.2c - with Imperial Star Destroyer (ISD), Tie Fighters, and various Rebel ships

This thread started as a 1-ship mod of the ISD. However, many X2 players wanted some Tie Fighters, so I co-opted the thread, and turned it into a thread about the Star Wars Ship mod. Then they wanted some rebel ships...sigh.

-------------------------
Release History:

++ Version 2c - Again, very minor update...no restart required. (Any new ship features for existing ships will appear after the ship goes through a jump.) A couple of small tweaks to the ships based on comments and bug reports (fixed a couple ow weapon bugs, increased A-Wing energy, added lightmaps to ISD view ports, etc). The version number has also been changed to "re-synch" the number across all the various flavours of the mod.

++ Version 2b - Very minor tweaks. No restart required. Moved docking point on ISD down, to avoid collision when undocking fighters. Added engine effects to YT-1300, A-Wing, and B-Wing. Adjusted pricing of new ships for better balance.

++ Version 2a - Sigh...I'm apparently incapable or releasing a clean mod. Accidentally gave the B-Wing a station interior instead of a cockpit...with interesting results! Used incorrect part for one of the lasers on the Y-Wing. Also forgot to add the five new ships to the language file. All sorted. Download links updated.

++ Version 2 - Added five new Rebel ships; X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, and YT-1300 (Millennium Falcon). Down-sized the ISD, so that it could be purchased without blowing up at the shipyard. Significantly tweaked the weapon performance and pricing. The six additional ship weapons now span from low-end to high-end, and are a bit more balanced between hull and shield damage. They fire considerably faster than standard X2 weapons. The rang has been increased at the high-end.

++ Version 1d - Added three new ships; Tie Interceptor, Tie Defender, and Tie Bomber. Also added two completely new weapon types; the Rapid Pulse Ion Cannon (RPIC), and High Output Turbo-Laser (HOTL). Finally, added three brand new missile types; Fission Alpha, Beta, and Gamma.

++ Version 1 - Initial release of single-ship, standalone version.

Credits:

++ All of the many people who have been modeling Star Wars ships, and collecting & sharing information.
++ Admiral TigerClaw for advice on weapon placement.
++ Nuclear_Eclipse for the detailed knowledge of Star Wars ships (as well as scanning and uploading ship plans) needed to create these models for the X2 engine.
++ Barron for translating the language files and readme into German, and keeping an eye on things over in the German forum.
++ Vayde for his help in testing. His ability to find the "little" bugs makes the game better for all of you!
++ Balogt for his assistance with the engine effects on the X-Wing and W-Wing.
++ CheckerTwo for his fantastic work on opening up the X2 OBJ files. With out him, there would be no additional ships, weapons, or missiles.
++ Doubleshadow for the best development "workbench" any modder could ask for. Without his tools, I simply would not have bothered.
++ For the inspiration on the Defender, all credit to "Dr. Jones" <docteur.jones@wanadoo.fr>. Being able to use his excellent model as a reference made the Defender as good as it is.

What it is:

This is a mod containing custom models of some of the better-known ships in the Star Wars universe (far far away...etc). It started with a custom model of the Star Wars Imperator Star Destroyer (ISD) for X2, but has grown to include additional Star Wars ships.

There are many (actually, many, many, many) models & renders of these ship on the web, which was a big help. However, adapting it to X2 was a serious challenge, and I had to make a number of compromises. All on the models/meshes are completely new, and built by myself.

The custom ship models will probably not have the kind of detail a serious SW fan would like to see, as that level of detail would kill the X2 engine. Also, I had to use X2 supplied textures, so the textures will not make everyone happy, or match people's expectations.

I have named the ISD "Bun-Bun", after the homicidal rabbit from the Sluggy Freelance the comic (and from J. Ringo's SF series with a massive tank-like vehicle called a SHIVA, and nick-named "Bun-Bun").

This mod presents, for the first time ever (TA-DA!), brand new weapons and missiles. The latest version of ChedckerTwo's code allows the addition of 7 additional weapons, and 24 additional missiles. All weapons and missiles can be selected as per the normal player interface (e.g. hot-keys).

It will take awhile to tweak the new weapons, but I didn't want to wait. What I am releasing now will be updated, and eventually incorporated into my "core" mods.

Since a number of people said they liked the ISD as a Split ship, I added all of the new Imperial ships and equipment to Split sectors only (Shipyards, Docks, Equipment Docks). The Rebel ships can be found in selected Argon Wharfs.

I have included a standard X2 universe map, with all the necessary factories/forges required to produce the new hardware. The new stations are scattered around the various Split sectors.

----------------------
The Ships:
----------------------

Here are the ships description from the game, along with a few pix. Most of the pix still show the old standard X2 lasers...see the Tie Interceptor and X-Wing for a view of the new Weapons!

M5 (X-Wing), Race=Player - The Deadly X-Wing is one of the most powerful M5 fighters ever built. It was the last star fighter design produced by Incom Corporation before its seizure by the Empire. It is reasonably fast, and with 4 lasers is quite heavily armed for an M5 fighter. This ship can be purchased at Lucas Space Enterprises, or the Argon shipyard & dock in Omicron Lyre (Ship Only version).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

M5 (A-Wing), Race=Player - The Deadly A-Wing is a very small and very fast star fighter with two wing-mounted Blaster Cannons. The idea behind the A-Wing was not to create a ship with a lot of firepower, but one that could use blinding speed to outperform its opponents. This ship can be purchased at Lucas Space Enterprises, or the Argon shipyard & dock in Omicron Lyre (Ship Only version).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

M4 (Interceptor) - The Deadly Tie Interceptor is a small maneuverable M4 class ship with good acceleration and a high top speed. It carries 10MW of shielding and 4 lasers. However, it has very limited cargo space, and accordingly carries a very limited missile load.
...Front:
[ external image ]
...Rear
[ external image ]
...Firing
[ external image ]

M4 (Y-Wing) Race=Player - The Deadly Y-Wing is an attack star fighter with moderate speed. while not as fast as some M4 ships, it has 4 lasers and has cargo capacity for extra missiles. The Y-Wing carries 20MW of shielding (4x5MW). This ship can be purchased at Lucas Space Enterprises, or the Argon shipyard & dock in Omicron Lyre (Ship Only version).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

M3 (Defender) - The Deadly Tie Defender is an M3 class ship, which is highly maneuverable and offers good acceleration and top speed. It carries 25MW of advanced shielding, and 6 lasers. However, it has very limited cargo space, and accordingly carries a very limited missile load.
...Front:
[ external image ]
...Rear:
[ external image ]
...Firing:
[ external image ]

M3 (Bomber) - The Deadly Tie Bomber is an M3 class ship which is highly maneuverable and has good acceleration and top speed. It carries 75MW of advanced shielding, but only 2 lasers. In compensation, it offers a large missile payload.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

M3 (B-Wing) Race=Player - The Deadly B-Wing is the Rebel Alliance's most powerful heavy-assault star fighter. It was designed to take on much larger Imperial capital ships, thus providing the Alliance fighters with the punch of capital ships at a fraction of the cost. The B-Wing carries 6 lasers, and has 90MW of advanced shielding (2x45MW) or 75MW (3x25MW) for "ship only". This ship can be purchased at Lucas Space Enterprises, or the Argon shipyard & dock in Omicron Lyre (Ship Only version).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

TS (YT-1300) Race=Player - The Deadly YT-1300 is loosely based on the stock light freighter of the same designation manufactured by the Corellian Engineering Corporation. Armed like an M6, and yet able to dock at stations, this ship is much sought after by smugglers. While it has limited cargo capacity, it carries 8 lasers in two turrets, and has 90MW of advanced shielding (2x45MW) for wares/no-wares versions or 75MW (3x25MW) for "ship only". This ship can be purchased at Lucas Space Enterprises, selected Split shipyards and docks, or the Argon shipyard & dock in Omicron Lyre (Ship Only version).
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

M1 (Bun-Bun) Race=Split - The Deadly ISD, affectionately known as "Bun-Bun", is based on technology found in the ruins of a metallic moon-like object from Earth's ancient past. The Deadly shipyard managed to "acquire" a copy of the plans, and has built several of these monsters. Only available to those with almost unlimited funds, Bun-Bun carries 54 lasers in five 4-laser turrets on the top, bottom, left, right, and rear, and a single 34-laser turret up front. It has internal docking capacity for 150 fighter craft, and carries 1,000MW of advanced shielding. It has a surprisingly high top speed, but accelerates and maneuvers very slowly.

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

OK...enough eye candy...here are the download links for the self extracting .exe and the archive (.rar).
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/ ... rs-V2c.rar
http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/ ... rs-V2c.exe

Enjoy...
Last edited by DeadlyDa on Sun, 3. Jul 05, 19:53, edited 9 times in total.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:20

:o :o :o I like it alot :roll:
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:27

:O How big is it? And will the hanger really carry ships?? :o Amazing!
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

rustybucket
x3

Post by rustybucket » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:41

I like it. All we need is an asthmatic mouth breather to record a message or two for the com system.....
:lol:

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:44

Wow. :o That's impressive.

I'm so jealous, I'm still struggling to get a flying box (literally) into the game and behaving as I want it.

rustybucket
x3

Post by rustybucket » Fri, 6. May 05, 23:51

I'm still struggling to get a flying box (literally) into the game and behaving as I want it.

Borg? :P

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 7. May 05, 00:27

Awsome!

You have to have external docking inside the landing bay thing!

Red Spot
x3

Post by Red Spot » Sat, 7. May 05, 00:53

:o ... ehhhmmm :o .. very nice ..

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 7. May 05, 01:03

Unless you have the prints, I can supply a blueprint set that would show you all the weapons points on the vessel. I know exactly where to position each of the maximum four guns for each respective turret location. *Madcackle*

Eyeheheheheh... I canna' wait to put this beast into action, if you supply the required files. It would be a monsterous addition to the Terradine mod. *Probably SPLIT too. Just seems their style.*

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 7. May 05, 01:17

I'm still struggling to get a flying box (literally) into the game and behaving as I want it.

Borg?
RustyBucket: Wellll....actually, the Borg Collector looks like it should be a Xenon TL. Who knows...might just do it too :)

Tsar_of_Cows: Yes, external docking in the Hanger would be nice...but then you are restircted to 5 ships. (I've been playing around with more, with very inconsistant results.)

ATC: As far as the weapons points...I honestly have no clue. Let me know what you think, and I'll give it a try. No problem using it woth the Terradine mod. As always, my ships are available for use in other's mods, as long as credit is given.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 7. May 05, 01:45

Actually deadly, it's easy. The ENTIRE shape of an Imperator II Star Destroyer is to direct as much fire forward at a hypotheical target straight ahead, while not sacrificing too man guns in any direction.

FRONT: All four guns are located at the tip of the ISD's 'nose'. So they have a wide field of fire in all forward directions.

Left and right sides.
The smaller 'gap' (Located mid hull) in the 'awning' that creates the side trenches on the design are the location for those guns. The gap in the trench overhangs allows the weapons to get a good field of fire, but at the same time, they can join in with the front weapons and direct as forward fire.

TOP: The huge square things are actually the ship's largest Tubolaser Batteries. They have a clear upwards field of fire, but can be directed forward to assist with target assault, or to the sides to assist the side guns with targets.

BOTTOM: If you look the ISD head on, you notice its triangles there too. This means that the bottom guns too, can get wide overlapping fields of fire and still assist both the front, or the side guns with their fire. The underside 'square panels' on the vessel near the read are roughly the location of those weapons batteries. As a bottom gun, two on each half of the hull.

Rear. The least defended by main guns, but then again, an Impstar Deux is not likely to be turning tail on a target. However, the rear guns are located on the back of the bridge superstructure up top, the bottom of the hull, and at the corners where the trenches intersect. (Four points of fire I would guess. I'm not so sure of the rear guns as I am of the front.)

When using the X2 formula with maxed out turrets (as should be for this model), by facing a target head on, you direct no less than 20 guns forward if you so choose.

of the angles of fire to bring weapons to bear.

On the left side
13 guns. (Front 2, top, 2, left 4, rear 2, back 3)
Right Side
13 guns (See Above)
Above
10 or seventeen, depending on how the side and front guns are clustered, and if ALL the side and front guns can look UP.
Below (See above.)

An impstar is actually a spectacular combat design.

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sat, 7. May 05, 02:20

On the left side
13 guns. (Front 2, top, 2, left 4, rear 2, back 3)
Right Side
13 guns (See Above)
Above
10 or seventeen, depending on how the side and front guns are clustered, and if ALL the side and front guns can look UP.
Below (See above.)
Great...just what I needed to know.

The only problem is that the lasers are not in independent...but instead are controlled by their respective turret. This means that no matter how many lasers you put forward (or up/down/left/right/rear), only one target gets selected per turret. This is a shame, especially on a long ship...where a top-rear, top-left, top-right, and top-front turret configuration would allow you to track 4 distinct targets...which might be scattered over several kilometers of space.

I'll see if I can't get a draft version for people to play with posted sometime this weekend. Given the popularity of the whole SW thing, I'd like to get some comments from people who know something about the ISD before calling it a "release".

Harlock776
x2

cool

Post by Harlock776 » Sat, 7. May 05, 02:39

I'm glad you started on this Deadly cuz I still don't know enough about max to really do this ship right. If I have some time this weekend I might mess around with that other ship that ATC wanted to see in X2 the corellian freighter I think it was. Oh yeah here is an idea I had for a ship since we can use that object hack now to get more ships into the game...

Make a M1 class ship that is not super big but looks big enough to hold 150 TP or smaller ships... It would be used to go collect large amounts of newly bought freighters or TP ships or especially fighters. By using this ship instead of the player going themself or sending a regular M1, the player can maximize ecell conservation of their carriers and if the fighters that were bought are ready to go then it will be easier to jump that ship back with those fighters and simply tell all of them to dock at their assigned M1 and then jump that M1 to where it's needed.

This would allow the player to more quickly respond to sudden major conflicts or emergencies that they would need to send an M1 to take care of. Also it's very useful for setting up more than one station at a time quickly. Jump it with your TL and once you drop the station just assign freighters from it to the station and drop another station. No need to only carry 10 freighters and have to go back and forth getting them.

You could also use it as a huge mobile mining platform. Mine several sectors and then park this ship in your home sector and send out freighters assigned to it selling all the ore and silicon throughout the X universe or offload it all to a mobile mining base:-)

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 7. May 05, 02:52

As long as the turrets are tracking the same target, you can and do get as many guns as can be mustered.

An argon titan may have a target ahead of it, and five of six turrets may be locked onto it. But only the most forward guns can REALLY direct fire on it. However, the great Cheese Wedge can lock nearly all the guns for a particular turret onto a target, and get a significant amount of the guns from other turrets to back it. Resulint in overlaping fields of fire against targets. In a combat vessel.... that's a good thing. However, the ISDs weakness was the overlapping fields didn't overlap so well at point blank range. (Starfighter runs.) And anyone who was good enough to survive the blanket effect of fire to get into close range, had free run of the hull. And that's where TIEs came in.

See this image for some points.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/ ... /x2isd.jpg

As you can see from the red lines I drew, assuming the turrets all have 180 degrees of fire, you can indeed direct the most of the ISDs guns into a fire cone that projects out ahead of the ship. In fact, ALL but the back guns. Again, if you look at the lower image where I drew lines, you can see there the gaps in the curtain fire appear at close range. PArticularly around the bridge superstructure. The concentraition points of fire are off to each side, and about mid way out from the center of the hull at its widest point. (Which is actually much further aft.)

If any two, or even three turrets are locked on, you can guarantee more than half the ships guns have a firing solution for the target. Which means a hailstorm of fire.

In essence, in a one on one fight with a Xenon K... the ISD would pulverize it. I also suggest putting the guns in the marked configuarations I display. For best coverage effect.

And yes, if I can get the required files to use it, the data to set it up in the mod, and a little time. I can and will include it. And I WILL include credit to the designer. I always do. Just Remember ISD engines are a bright aqua blue/ white color. 8)

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 7. May 05, 03:03

Harlock, the OTHER ship I wanted to see was this one...

MC85a Independance Class Mon Calimari Star Cruiser

She's a beaut!

Legion400
x2

Post by Legion400 » Sat, 7. May 05, 04:10

I think it should be for the split because if you think about it the Split Scorpian looks almsot like the TIE Fighter and so would go perfect with it.
My Roid Table: Special Thx to Greyhawk for hosting
http://gr3yh4wk.50megs.com/Files/Table% ... 20v1.2.rar

Stonerkrieg
x3

Post by Stonerkrieg » Sat, 7. May 05, 08:18

Gotta admit you've gotten much further than I ever did. :( The whole thing was beyond my limited competence.

Harlock776
x2

starwars

Post by Harlock776 » Sat, 7. May 05, 08:48

Hey ATC that ship looks like a boron ship eh? Weren't the species that piloted that kind of ship some sort of fish creatures? It should fit in very well as a boron M2 but I gotta know what is the size difference between that ship and lets say a cheese wedge? Or do you think it would be bigger than a boron ray?

cf_nz
x3

Post by cf_nz » Sat, 7. May 05, 10:20

DeadlyDa wrote:I'll see if I can't get a draft version for people to play with posted sometime this weekend.
Any chance you could include the \cut and \v files as .bod. I still learning and would like to see the make up of the files in a text editor.

Thanks

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 7. May 05, 15:03

Im sure theres a few Ties kicking around somewhere.

And I have a vague memory of a modder who introduced himself here once and had a site covered in already made Starwars ships. I think they were in .3ds format, but MAX can change them right? Anyway, I cant remember his name but he made a post suggesting a SW mod, might be worth searching for.

Back to the ISD, the texture on the bottom looks nice, but isnt quite right, it shouldnt have those silver streaks... but then again, Im a SW fan :P

The whole SW ship mod concept is something that needs to be done and is sadly neglected in X by the looks of things.

Oh well.

But, a Death Star is needed now :p

And as for only getting 5 ships, maybe you could put the docking port into the hanger so that when you leave the docking port you are in the hanger and have to make a quick fly-for-it :D

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”