Graphics Modelling Tools/Tips, unite!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Galaxy613
x4

Graphics Modelling Tools/Tips, unite!

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 04:02

I recently got my hands on 3DS Max 6 and I remembed: "Hey, this can export ships to X2! Sw33t!" So I went on this quest to find the tools for 3DS6 sense I knew they were out there... firstly I checked the 'famous' "Scripting / Modding Tutorials and Resources (10/12/04)" sticky to find links to tutorials and etc. What I found was a good amount of things to GET ships into the game, but no links to any Importers(that I recently discovered) or Exporters.

Then I found someone point to a post on this "ShadowTek" forum made by some russian. And I found a link to a directory with two files in it, one that said "x2v0_03d.rar" and"x2v0_04.rar". So I tryed both of them, but only the "3d" one worked.

After setting it up and extracting files from the \v\ folders in the 01-04.dats and extracting all the texture files. I got the Xenon cockpit/body rendered in 3DSMax6! I was really happy. But I thought they said that it could export to... so I downloaded the number "4" one, and lucky it worked this time.

Total, searching the forums and skimming posts took me about 1-2 hours when it should've just been a click away from the "Scripting / Modding Tutorials and Resources (10/12/04)" sticky. And theres TONS of helpfull graphic moding stuff thats NOT listed there. I say we make a speical post JUST for graphic modding and have it linked to, in "Scripting / Modding Tutorials and Resources (10/12/04)"

Sooo....

File/Tools
3DS Max 5 - (Part of the ModKit 1.4)
3DS Max 6 - (x2v0_04.rar)
3DS Max 5+ & GMax 1.2 - 3RD PARTY - BOD Import/Export Plugin (CHECK THIS OUT)
(The Thread)
Made by: DoubleShadow (Can import/export for 3DSMax 5 or great PLUS GMax 1.2!)

BOD Viewer - (BODviewer1.2.rar)
Made by: Ur Quan and Dimaxx (Thus the program has a only Russian interface)

XPatcher 0.9b - (x2patch09b.zip)
Made by: StoneD

Tutorials/Posts
3rd Party Importer-Exporter post (On the ShadowTek forums)
Author: RA the Russian.
Deals with:
3rd Party tools made by RA the Russian.
For 3DSMax 5+.

3rd Party Importer post
Author: Doubleshadow
Deals with:
Importing Bodies and Scene files. Follow the Readme inside the ZIP.
For 3DSMax 5+.

Importing 3D MAX Objects into X2 - The Threat.
Author: Various(Including TsarOfCows and DeadlyDa, and Commander Jamie)
Deals with:
Creating and Correcting ships.
Mainly for 3DS Max 6.

Modeling Tips for X2
Author: QuantaCat & Konflict
Deals with:
The basics.
Mainly for 3DS Max 5, but has good theory for both.

Understanding the Scene file. (READ THROUGH THE WHOLE THREAD!)
Author: EarthPilot
Dealies with:
How to use a basic text editor to make new ship designs.
How to fix up oddly exported scenes from 3DSMax.

List of 3D-bodies - complete (actual X2-Version (1.4))
Deals with:
A list of all the part files to use in scenes.

(In German) List of parts used by ships
Deals with:
Finding out what ship used what part so you can make a copy or etc.

Speical Tutorials
How to make your own homemade X2 Ship designs
Author: Commander Jamie
Deals with:
Creating original ship designs.

Exporting from 3dMax, getting .bod's to act like cockpits
Author: DeadlyDa
Deals with:
Advanced ship cockpit editing/making.
Both 3DS Max 5 & 6.
Last edited by Galaxy613 on Sun, 7. Aug 05, 21:02, edited 8 times in total.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 04:28

You realize, that by putting 'Crazy Americans' in that poll, it just BEGS to be clicked, reguardless of actual oppinion?

milling_hordesman
x3

Post by milling_hordesman » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 04:35

well dang, i'd like to help you, but i completely forget what links i followed to get what. all i really use nowadays is the vbods list.

of course, i do support what you're doing. it was darned near impossible for me to find everything i needed and figure out how to put them together.
//----------------------------------
--the milling_hordesman

Me Mods

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 07:56

yep, good work! :wink:
I recommend you to add a link to X2Patch09b programm - the one I used for unpacking cat\dat and decompressing pbd to bods\txt for importing.
(but as I know - compressing works not so good and for packing mods better use an original egosoft utilityes)

also there is a 3dmax plugin for importing bodys, made by same man - his nickname is altor - that made a maxsripts x2v0_04 and x2v0_03. Plugin works faster, but can only import and have a bug: the 3dsmax6 crashes to desktop when you try to import body 944 from \v.
I`ll search a link for this plugins for you - there is two versions - for max5 and max6.

and about BODviewer1.2 - this one made by russians: Ur Quan and Dimaxx (I think you must add a credits ;)...and for Altor too). now work is temporary freeze, but in future version they want to add scene-viewing feature.
Dimaxx also an autor of a good MapEditor programm and programm ObjModder - for fast editing of some characteristics of ships\wares\factories\weapons\shields\rockets such as price\hull and etc.

and other very important thing - please, find here on egosoft forum a topic "understanding a scene-file", made by ShadowX(or Earhpilot?...I forgot which one... :oops: ) - there is Must Know information for everyone, who wants to make gfx modding for X2.
Sed tamen potest esse totaliter aliter.(Lat.)

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 29. Mar 05, 16:20

Ok, I updated the top post.

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 04:40

linked from tutorials sticky, thanks for the effort. The only thing stopping the tutorials link from being flawless is the people to write / collate the content :)
Let me know if you want it called something different than 'index of gfx modding tutorials and tools'
Oh, and if you make sure to link all of the gfx modding threads that are already linked in the tutorial thread in your first post here, I'll remove them from the main thread and just keep your link to keep things organized. (unless some of them are of a different topic and you'd rather the links stayed in the main post) Just let me know. Thanks for the help!
Cheers.
"Nature's first green is gold" . . . stay golden.

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Wed, 30. Mar 05, 05:03

Thx Burianek, ^-^. I think I got everything under the title "Graphics / Meshes / Modeling for X2" in the main post in mine. Maybe once I find out how to export models from 3DS Max myself I can make a tutorial on useing the Altor MaxScript. :D

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 03:28

Hey do me a favor if you don't mind and remove the poll from your first post. (as long as you don't need it anymore)
It's a bit disconcerting when you're trying to look up tutorial type information to immediately be confronted with a poll.
(most moderators hate polls anyway, it's something to do with abuse in a past life or something) :)
Cheers.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Sat, 2. Apr 05, 13:50

CKarl you can get the bod file list on an excel doc I got mine off DeadlyDa if people want it though it would need hosting not sure if it is already :?
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 10:31

CKarl you can get the bod file list on an excel doc...
Here is the link, if you need it. It is in several other places on this site, including the thread on "Understanding the scene file".

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/wolf/images/ ... e_list.zip

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 14:38

Burianek wrote:Hey do me a favor if you don't mind and remove the poll from your first post. (as long as you don't need it anymore)
It's a bit disconcerting when you're trying to look up tutorial type information to immediately be confronted with a poll.
(most moderators hate polls anyway, it's something to do with abuse in a past life or something) :)
Cheers.
If anyone can do that, it'll be you. I can not. :shock:

Burianek
x3tc

Post by Burianek » Sun, 3. Apr 05, 21:11

done™ :)

DAVEDUNNO

Post by DAVEDUNNO » Tue, 11. Jul 06, 05:12

out of all the forums i have read, all the games i have played i have to say, you've made finding the right tutorials and instructions for scripting the easyest out of them all, so i'd like to say Thanks!!!!

Dave.
"Face your fears and live your dreams, for the only thing we actually have to fear, is fear itself."

"if you put your mind to it, you can acomplish anything."

ReeverDrak
x3tc

Post by ReeverDrak » Sat, 28. Mar 09, 00:27

hay, why is subsoap down?? where can i find your files now????
life is a bag of sock, most of them are clean but only one will take to stink out the hole bag!! lol

EliteM3
x3tc

Post by EliteM3 » Sat, 31. Jul 10, 16:06

3DS Max 6 - (x2v0_04.rar)
But this site is now attacked by someone, I can't get in there.

reheat
x4

Hope this is a lesson for all the "X" versions.

Post by reheat » Sun, 1. Aug 10, 06:38

It doesn't take much to realize the ONLY reliable archive on the ENTIRE web is right here at Egosoft.

Much as people have great intentions, or have that pride of ownership or creation, the test of time will eventually erase even the most gargantuan efforts.

Much of the time and most of the people have passed for X2. Some have moved on to X3R and X3TC. Invariably the links to many essential items here on the X2 forum have died, save the oned that Egosoft has preserved. I take this moment to thank them for not obliterating the past as so many other companies do as a normal practice. At least someone there at the corporate office realizes that the few electrons it costs to maintain this archive is infintesimal compared to the good will and heritage value here.

What impressed me so much when I first arrived wasn't just the X3TC game or all of its features. It was the continuity of the game through its lifecycles, and the sense of community and contribution. I'm not refering to the Facebook style community where people are constantly in your face as a measure of your existance. I'm talking about the contribution people make to the community that lives beyond their original participation. CRYCOW will live here in peoples minds long after he is moved on to other things, as long as this site lives. I get the viceral sense of what he has done. It is also why I hope threads like this get stickied as well, and some of the links get fixed or replaced. Perhaps even Egosoft can share the Dev tools they used for graphics import and export.

When I first discovered the "X" universe, X3TC was already on the shelf. Perhaps by the time someone reads this, X4.....X6 or beyond will be out. We are looking for the superbox to release soon as well. I realized I had the oppertunity to do something that probably will fade away in the not too distant future. I can find and play the original games that were the genesis of all of this. Like so many of the DOS games of our past, they will slip out of compatability as new generations of hardware arrive, and new protocalls for operation are developed. Perhaps we will have too few people realize what we will be losing, as cloud computing gets thrust upon us.

To say the least, I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed X-BTF and X-Tended. As dated as they may be, and as archaic as the graphics are compared to today's blistering graphics standards, they still have something that no computer hardware can make obselete. They have a story. For those willing to give more than just a casual glance they have more than just the story contained in the plot line of the software. They have a story of a community being formed, and people commng together to do more than just watch. There are people comming together to share an experience, and to expand that experience beyond thge original borders of the game's original release. This is a rare experience, and it contains an essance that many a publisher would love to discover the secret that creates this effect.

I would strongly suggest as time passes and people discover that this "game" has a history, that the newbies should take some time and find copies of the original games. Not only do they make great tutorials, and are excellent ways to assimilate this complex universe created here, but they contain the essance of what the X universe really is. To future generations of people that may read this, enjoy if you can, the roots of this game. Most of all, post the files here on the Egosoft site as well. Outside links will die off.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”