Newbie Guide to Making Money Through Trading

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Liber
x3

Post by Liber » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 13:25

In version 1.4 the Boron Manta will now only take up to "L" cargo and not XL.

You can't carry Silicone.

Sorry

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 13:26

Just out of interest can you confirm that you have experienced other 1.4 changes such as M6s in assassination missions, captured Khaak or perhaps seen/tried a Xenon invasion mission?

Definitely something odd going on. Might be worth emailing the save game to Egosoft to see if they can reproduce it?

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 13:49

Im sorry Al, but I am unable to confirm any of what you have asked :(

I tryed to cap a Khaak (showing as an "unidentified object" on ID) last night but got totally creamed in 2 seconds flat - and thats without SETA 10x :o

there are no mods at all installed - just the update
I could easyly provide a save as any of my current saved games have my faithfull TP Manta with its unusual large cargo capacity! (i tend to save lots but only reload if I die normally just the autosave the other saves are there just incase)

But tbh, I may first try a complete removal and re-install of the whole game and update before bothering Egosoft as I seem to be coming across many 'little' bugs which just shouldn't be happening :cry:
(I can play most of the game now but due to another 'bug' i cannot complete the training simulator economy part)

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 13:55

You could try looking at the shipyards and see if there are an trading stations or equipment docks for sale as this is something else thats new in 1.4. I'm not sure which ones stock them though as I've not looked.

If you are going to re-install then back up your save games so you dont have to start from scratch, unless of course you want to.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 14:47

Well I have just been in-game and have checked all the shipyards I can find (20ish of them in total) across the universe using a saved game in which i just revealed all the map and saved it! (in case i needed to find a system in my proper game that I havent uncovered yet)

It would definately appear that my game has not updated properly as i could not find ANY shipyards selling trading stations or equipment docks! so i guess a re-install will have to be tried first, I only just reinstalled my entire PC just before installing X2 so it should be nice and clean with no problems but I guess all my work has been in vein and ive goto reinstall the game anyway :cry:

Thank you kindly for all your assistance - I would prefer to play the game as it should be played so to speak and if my TPs arn't supposed to carry XL anymore then id rather start again and find a way to do things without them :D

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 14:51

When you start up X2 it should show the version number in both the little GUI box and also once the game has loaded to the main menu. Try checking them to ensure they say 1.4 rather than 1.3.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 14:59

yup It Defenately has not updated :o it shows 1.2 on the GUI box and doesnt show any version number anywhere in the main menus at all, oh well here goes another reinstall and restart again! - I might get past mission 3 before having to do it again hopefully if the reinstall works this time! :lol:

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:01

Before you uninstall it try downloading the 1.4 patch again and retrying the patch. Failing this back up your save game before uninstalling so you are not forced to start from scratch.

Also
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:19

nahh, I appreciate the advice Al espesially the speed at which you are responding to my problem, but I will have to start again as I am an idiot who prefers to do things properly rather than taking 'shortcuts' so if my game has begun with me being able to do something that I shouldnt and therefore it was easyer get through the challange of getting started in the game i will miss part of what makes this game so great! :P

as for the update ill give it a go see if that works this time for me, but tbh ill probably just reinstall the whole game to be sure of a clean installation :wink:

(i will save my savefile that has the galactic map revealed - it took too long to lose that valuble info - I found all the map myself including the unknown systems BEFORE downloading the picture of the map for reference so that I didn't spoil my suprise! :roll: )

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:23

Glad to help. Only able to help so much as the boss is out of the office this week :)

Just one thing to watch is make sure you clean up your registry after uninstalling as some people have reported problems when re-installing if they haven't done this.

HTH

Al
X2 Capture Guide

yorkman
x2

Post by yorkman » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:41

Great post only just got x2 and can't wait to try your tips :)

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:54

I know this makes me look a bit daft but seeing as this thread has answered so many questions for newbs like me, i just have to ask :roll: :

How do I clean up my registry after an uninstallation? I tend to leave my regestry alone and clean reinstall my PC regularly to keep it running sweet or does system mechanic's clean up regestary tool do the job ok for getting rid of the regestry keys remaining after an uninstall?

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 15:58

To clean up the registry click on the Start button, the select "run" and type in regedit. Once its opened, search for anything related to X2 and remove it. Make sure you dont delete anything other than X2 stuff as this can cause serious problems. IIRC you should be looking for anything installed in the X2 driectory so check where its installed before starting.

You could try searching here and the tech support forum for "regedit" which should give you plently of advice. Note that it might not be necessary for it to work but its a good idea to ensure that nothing is stil lurking that might cause problems once you re-install.

e.g see the post by twistedtech in this link:

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=regedit

Hope this helps
X2 Capture Guide

Scoobie
x4

Post by Scoobie » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 16:17

Briliant Thanks Again that thread helps loads, im now off to sort this all out and play some X2 properly finally :D

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 16:22

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Remember when it comes to the registry, if there is something you are not sure about, err on the side of caution and leave it alone.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

yorkman
x2

Post by yorkman » Mon, 9. Aug 04, 23:48

Great just got my manta to find it can't hold silicone wafers :evil: am i going to be best slogging away hauling energy cells till i can upgrade or would a better route be to buy an spp and repair the mercury and build my money up that way :?

Kellick Stormcrow
x2

Post by Kellick Stormcrow » Tue, 10. Aug 04, 01:56

yorkman wrote:Great just got my manta to find it can't hold silicone wafers :evil: am i going to be best slogging away hauling energy cells till i can upgrade or would a better route be to buy an spp and repair the mercury and build my money up that way :?
:lol: I thought this was updated for 1.4 :?
Anyway, I started in 1.3 and I found this guide to be very helpful. Although I do things a lot differently, it gave me a good basis for starting out.

I would either repair the Merc or go get a Demeter or Caiman. The Merc is always a tossup; it still costs less money to repair a damaged ship than to buy a new one. OTOH the Merc kinda does suck.

JAG007
x2

The SILCON RUSH vs Defence

Post by JAG007 » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 18:02

Ok once again a very good and detailed post especially to a beginner like my self. However There has been no comments about how to protect your Boron Dolphin. I understand the whole post at the top but now and then Ill be attcked by pirates which reallly pees me off as it would most people.

What should I be upgrading ym ship with besides shields ??

I havent even started hurtling misslies and anyone yet but if anything the pirates would be my first target just now as their the only wee buggers that stop me from trading.

Any ideas you guys/girls

Juan

JungleJim
x3

Post by JungleJim » Wed, 10. Nov 04, 19:49

Generally speaking if you don't fire on Pirates they won't fire on you. Incidentally the Xenon will similarly not fire on you if you stay out of their space and don't fire on their ships.

So at least in the beginning you may want to set:
Pirates = Friend
Xenon = Friend

Oh, and if the Pirates *do* attack you, ask for help or dock with a station.
Be seeing you,

[ external image ]

Shephard
x2

Post by Shephard » Sat, 22. Jan 05, 05:49

:wink:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”