OZONE Depletion....

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

P88
x2

OZONE Depletion....

Post by P88 » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 17:42

"Blame it on Hitler! When Hitler realized he was going to lose the war, he released massssssssive amounts of CFC's that he had stockpiled into the air.
Now, it takes aprox. 50 years for the CFC's to float up to the Ozone. So, the holes today are from all the toxins released 50 years ago."

thats what i read on another forum.......................................

What do you think is causing the ozone depletion?
Do you think global warming is real or not?
do you think it can be stopped?

we need a decent discussion on here!

so......

what i think, i think were all screwed anyway, ice caps will melt and destroy the cancer of this planet (humans), thats if we dont destroy ourselves.

bleh. bored so i did this......

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 18:10

Did he have his big stockpile of CFC sat waiting over the antarctic? as thats where the biggest hole is..

We will all be wiped out, by ourselves or disease, insects will rule and it will all start again. Men in white coats study bacteria on petri dishes, what happens is that they continue multiplying and growing till all the resources are used up, then they start poisoning each other cos of the waste they produce, then they all die = Earth.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 19:00

the last report I read suggested this problem was on the mend, wih both holes begining to shrink in the last year, and the amount of cfc's in the atmosphere dramatically reduced since the ban about 10 years ago.

Post by Guest » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 19:14

im quite convinced we will destroy oursleves since it lies within a species to destroy itself (gee what movie was that from :P :lol: )

ways to go:

Nuclear war: everything dies with perhaps a few bugs which can survive radiation, like roaches (spelling?) (dunno if theres a movie about this, terminator comes closest)

Flood due to global warming: all land life dies eventually (eg waterworld)

Earth warms up: so warm that all water is depleted so we all die of thirst. (game: earth 2150)

Comet/asteroid collision: BANG earth gone :o (deep impact, armageddon)

Global plague kills human population (eg seven monkeys) but leaves other life intact and so evolution can begin again.

think thats enough ways :lol: :twisted: :!:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 19:37

Anonymous wrote:Flood due to global warming: all land life dies eventually (eg waterworld)
Can't happen--there isn't enough water to completely cover the entire land surface of the Earth. High places like Tibet and Mexico will never be underwater.

RustiSwordz
x2

Post by RustiSwordz » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 20:18

which will become awfully crowded ;)
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

cappedup
x4

Post by cappedup » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 20:23

I'm working on a set of gills right now, theyre looking pretty good..

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm - Winston Churchill

chrishillproduction.com

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 23:08

I remember seeing something about the earth will not overheat drastically because of CFCs directly but because it will raise the earth by 2 degrees which will melt methane hydrocide (i htink thats what it is) that has HUGE deposits frozen on the sea bed. and when they are released they will heat the earth up about 10 degrees within about a year which will rlease the really deep sea deposits which will haat up the earth even more. so we will get roasted.

Post by Guest » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 23:19

so to put it, were all ******.

-p88

Sureal

Post by Sureal » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 23:21

The biggest threat are the factories. Personnaly i believe that eventually we will destroy our atmosphere and unless we stop polluting now, or find safer alternatives, we will kill the planet.

P88
x2

Post by P88 » Sun, 17. Nov 02, 23:39

the atmosphere is like a big bottle with a vacuum in it, no air, nothing. then a wasp gets in there, farts, releases gasses, then sunlight will heat up those gasses FOREVER provided there is a sustainable source of energy (the sun). its like boiling water, with a constant flame, it reaches boiling point, i think we arnt there quiet yet.... give it a few more years till the white coated scientiests bring out a "none pollutant ever lasting energy source" which they could have released 30 years ago but they wouldnt have made enough money, 30 years to late, nothing can stop it.....

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 00:01

Pointer88 wrote:give it a few more years till the white coated scientiests bring out a "none pollutant ever lasting energy source" which they could have released 30 years ago but they wouldnt have made enough money, 30 years to late, nothing can stop it.....

hmmmm how aout solar, wind, hydroelectric/wave power? they all been about for ages and they won;t build enough because the masses prefer Coal or oil power generators becuse its about an extra 50% more expensive (something liek that anyway) to use renewable in the short term and oh aye the countryside won;t look pretty anymore, although it will look prettier when the temp hits 50 degrees in winter
i think my electric bill is soething like 100 quid a quarter. 400 a year and if they could switch all power to renenwable i would be happy to pay 600 because i suppose once its paid for itself then it should go cheaper.than coal

nobbystyles
x4

Post by nobbystyles » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 00:03

and anyway who needs pretty countrysides in the age of the internet. i can just look it up a picture of it :P

ElectricMonk
x3tc

Re: OZONE Depletion....

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 00:14

Pointer88 wrote: What do you think is causing the ozone depletion?
My laundry basket :)

Lucrativus
x3tc

Post by Lucrativus » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 00:25

I seem to remember seeing a program on the Discovery channel about the ozone problem.

They think that the problem is a cyclical one. They did a load of deep bores in the polar ice caps and analysed the ice that they extracted. This apparently showed that the holes in the ozone layer had been coming and going for thousands of years and probably longer

There has been an increase in airborne pollutants in the last century which has accelerated the formation of the holes in the ozone layer, but not to such an extent that they will not fill again.

But this is not as serious as us being totally responsible for all the holes. They maintain that the holes will close themselves eventually and the cycle will begin all over again.

And, YES, I think we should all be more responsible for what we release into our environment.
When one door closes, another slams in your face.
"They say I am so far out that even the Hubble Telescope can't see where I am coming from"

P88
x2

Post by P88 » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 01:36

"And, YES, I think we should all be more responsible for what we release into our environment."

yes but the powers that be dont give a dam about the environment, all they care about is money.

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 03:59

pjknibbs wrote: High places like Tibet and Mexico will never be underwater.
Not only, if the poles should melt completely this would 'only' be enough for a water level rise of 50m around the world. Sure, this sounds very little, but have a look what portions of many countries lie beneath that mark. It would not mean we'd run out of rolling hills countryside but quite a few countries would end their existence. Britain would be a bit smaller ... uhmm, I may actually start construction of a peer in front of the house, too :lol:

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 04:04

Pointer88 wrote: yes but the powers that be dont give a dam about the environment, all they care about is money.
this luckily cannot be generalised, as there is a lot of action in the right direction being undertaken in a lot of the european countries. The worst litteres of our environment live in North America and Australia, not sure about Japan. This is not an afront on the people as individuals, it is a matter of politics to comply to rules for industry in the first place. The last conference on that matter is only a few months back, isn't it? :cry:

KiwiNZ
x4

Re: OZONE Depletion....

Post by KiwiNZ » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 04:08

ElectricMonk wrote:
Pointer88 wrote: What do you think is causing the ozone depletion?
My laundry basket :)
No, actually not. Your basket is the reason for the increasing number of endangered species but luckily does not have any effects on the ozone layer :lol:

~Lonowski~
x3

Post by ~Lonowski~ » Mon, 18. Nov 02, 06:32

pjknibbs wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Flood due to global warming: all land life dies eventually (eg waterworld)
Can't happen--there isn't enough water to completely cover the entire land surface of the Earth. High places like Tibet and Mexico will never be underwater.
:idea: Not necissarily, ice shrinks in mass when frozen from water. The fact that any ice colder than 32~ shrinks as well, means that ice frozen at a great deal colder (ie.-100 ~) is more dense. If all ice thawed , and eventually this as well, the change in mass from solid to liquid would increase to a much larger amount.
:paranid:~Lonowski~

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”