Ship Capture Guide: X2 Version 2 (Updated for 1.4)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 01:00

This is a great guide. And knowing Al, it will not stop here....

:thumb_up:
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Shadow Walker
x2

Post by Shadow Walker » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 01:59

Great guide Al, I have one question though:
Some people say it's best to let the shields of your target fully recharge before blasting with Ion-Disruptors again, is this true?

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 03:00

The Nova is a dream for going up to pirate bases and shooting them. It can easily take out laser towers with a BHEPT and ID, then none of the ships will dent your hull. Plus, you don't have to worry about missiles because of the rear turret.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

White Tiger
x2

Post by White Tiger » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 06:08

Constipated_Vigilante wrote; It can easily take out laser towers with a BHEPT and ID, then none of the ships will dent your hull.

Laser towers need to be tougher and do more damage. As they are, I do not even waste credits buying them for station defense and never fear them when going up against a pirate base.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 11:07

Shadow Walker wrote:Great guide Al, I have one question though:
Some people say it's best to let the shields of your target fully recharge before blasting with Ion-Disruptors again, is this true?
I haven't managed to prove any connection between letting the shields recharge and getting capture. One thing that might make it seem like this is the way that the player gives the ships time to recharge. If the player flies away in a straight line then you'll find the following ships will form an approximate line behind the player and hence when the player turns and goes back through the pack, you hit more ships that you would if you just flew in between them waiting for the shields to recharge.

I've got to agree on the hull damage. It definitely makes a difference. For a laugh last night I put on 2 Alpha PSGs (with 2 Ions)and simply hammered the base and everything coming out of it. I had 5 captures as the ships launched, 4 of which were subsequently destroyed as I never stopped firing the PSGs.

I'm going to try a similar tactic with a single PSG and perhaps an Ion. Watch this space for the results :)

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Gazzareth
x2

Post by Gazzareth » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 11:14

PSG's work well - I have 4 BPSG's in the Osprey (I am trying to get my combat ranking up so kill / capture makes little odds)... Getting quite a few captures - although it tends to fry the Mandalays, but then again they are worth Peanuts so who cares.....

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 11:21

Yup Mandalays are the biggest threat to me when capturing so I generally take them down first as a couple of wasps up the tailpipe and its all but over for me in my Bayamon.

Al
Last edited by Al on Mon, 26. Apr 04, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
X2 Capture Guide

Praefectus classis
x4

Post by Praefectus classis » Mon, 26. Apr 04, 12:41

Al wrote:Yup Mandalays are the biggest threat to me when capturing so I generally take them down first a couple of wasps up the tailpipe and its all but over in a Bayamon.

Al
Yes, I've starting taking out the Mandalays, as they seem to like going for my NavSats or captured ships.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

RJV
x3tc

Post by RJV » Wed, 28. Apr 04, 10:18

Al wrote:If you cant capture after trying whats in the guide let me know as its obviously lacking something.

I haven't been out in my Disco recently so prehaps the guide might need a little fine tuning.

Let me know how you get on.

Al
Hi,

Finally got round to picking up a Mako and fitting an IonD to it (just the one, credits are a tad tight at the moment). Anyway, maxxed the speed and took it for a spin. And what do I see before me but a convoy of 2xBayamon and 2xMandalay. What the hell, I thought, let's have a go....

First target, a Bayamon. A couple of minutes of frantic keyboard activity and lots of swearing, and out he jumps. My first ever capture.
Second target, the second Bayamon. More swearing, and he fires off a missile, I hammer the keyboard, hard left, and there's a big explosion off my port bow. Now, either I slammed into one of the Mandalays or the missile hit it, but 'no ship is worth this', and the Mandalay pilot bails. My second capture and I never even shot at it. Meanwhile the Bayamon was being a sticky little bugger and I got fed up and it was late and, well, he's in a better place now... (the other mandalay disappeared).

Results
1x Bayamon captured, 74% hull, no equipment
1x Mandalay captured, 85% hull, no equipment
My ship at 67% hull which will cost me to repair, but I'm only doing a reload if I die, so I will take the hit to the bank balance.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice Al. An excellent guide, and it has genuinely helped my game.

Gracias.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 28. Apr 04, 13:24

Glad its helped. Best advice I can give is to strip the Mako and install everything on the Bayamon, repair and max it out and you have the best M4 in the game IMHO.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Wed, 28. Apr 04, 13:42

I don't have a lot of experience in X2 (Captured the Perseus in X-T though). I have thus far captured about 10 Orinocos and around 10 Bayamons in X2 and am about 27 hours into the game. I haven't yet done mission 2.

However, I have tried both ways with ION Disruptors, and I don't think it matters which way you do it. I personally like to keep on their 6 and vary it, sometimes I hit them every few seconds and then sometimes I wait until they have around half shields.

Funny thing is, when I go in all angry and hot headed, twisting like mad and hitting them quick, they seem to bail much quicker - I am sure they can sense that I mean business! I have also tried growling like a mad dog when firing the first few shots and that seems to have 100% success rate (just joking, but you get the idea of how I go in sometimes).

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Thu, 29. Apr 04, 19:34

I just thought of something, don't know if this has been looked at (probably has, but I haven't seen it).

If you use something small to get the hull down to 87%, fx an AIRE, instead of just a few shots of a GPAC, the ship will have taken a lot more shots before they reach 87%. Will they then bail faster once the hull is down to 87? I was thinking along the lines of a buildup of bail-probability or somesuch.

Am I totally off track? Yeah, probably, but I thought I should bring it up just in case.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Tue, 11. May 04, 02:58

Another thing, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've found that sometimes I can reack the Freight Beamer-menu before the bailing pilots scraps most (all) of the ships equipment. I'ts been a while since I first saw this, but today I manage to nab three (of 7) fighter-drones in the splitsecond before all the stuff disappeared.

kinein
x2

Post by kinein » Sat, 15. May 04, 11:18

how often do they decide to bail. I've basically restarted the game entirely 4 times and so far have not passed brennan's triumph nor captured a ship. Right now trying to capture Pirate Bayamon's. Brought them past 87% but nothings been happening. Is it a percentage chance that they'll react? There's always 2 together. Should i kill the first one then try to capture the second one?

gorgor
x2

Post by gorgor » Sat, 15. May 04, 14:21

Great guide Al.

I have been playing for a while now and got my first M2, a Titan. I have been hooning around the universe looking for things to do with it, and I came up with this idea:

Capitol Capping for Capitol Gain.

- I flew up to a Pirate base and wiped out the Lasertowers from 4.5km away with the GPPCs.
- I hit the base a bit to unleash the horets nest of ships.
- I then removed all of the Titans gun and install Ion Ds in the Front, Left and Right turrets (the others wont accept them.)
- Next I dropped out in my Nova and use 2 Mass Drivers to reduce the hulls to less than 87%.
- Lastly I pooped back onto the Bridge of the Titan and turned the Turret on and let the 9 Ion Ds do their thing.

I got a Pirate ship, Orinoco, Bayamon and two Mandalays in about 30 mins. I could have got more, but it was late.

I did have to chace some ships down as they seamed to loose interest in me, perhaps because i was not hurting them. Next time it will try having each of the three turrets with 1 Alpha IRE and 2 Ion Ds.

The other hassle was that I ran into many ships even though I was going slowly.

Gersh
Gorcorp Power 'Power to the people'

Firesky1
x3

Post by Firesky1 » Sat, 15. May 04, 14:52

With my SSP's and my factory's running smooth and credits coming in, thought it be nice to invest in a loaded nova and get the blood flowing with some pirate ship capturing. Well I did just that, Started up my Nova, left my home base, and came to a screaching halt. it's a huge universe out there...and as a newbie I had little idea where to start or what to do once I encountered my first pirate ship.....I join the long line of others in this forum to THANK YOU for your time and effort on a great Guide Al.

ErosA433
x2

Post by ErosA433 » Sat, 15. May 04, 16:14

Iv just switched to using A-PSG's on a captured Orinoco.

in X-T i always wanted some Xenon ships and capturing ships on that game was almost impossible (well alot harder than on X2 i think personally)
anways - i found the best place for this is the sector Black Hole Sun. I cant count the number of Xenon N's and M's iv captured being as there is a constant flow of ships from the neighbouring Xenon sector tot he north. maybe its only in my game, but still... after selling them all i have an L M and N for my private collection :)

I did buy myself B-PSG's but im going to sell them, the energy drain stops you inflicting damage when you need to the most.

PSG's are great for capturing in my experience.

trix66
x2

Post by trix66 » Thu, 20. May 04, 18:52

cheers Al. I now own a nicely repaired bayamon

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Thu, 20. May 04, 18:58

Glad it helped. :)
As always any suggestions or things you would like clarified, just say.

Al
X2 Capture Guide

Jha'dur
x2

Post by Jha'dur » Thu, 20. May 04, 19:15

I'm still wondering about this.
Jha'dur wrote:Another thing, don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've found that sometimes I can reack the Freight Beamer-menu before the bailing pilots scraps most (all) of the ships equipment. I'ts been a while since I first saw this, but today I manage to nab three (of 7) fighter-drones in the splitsecond before all the stuff disappeared.
Have done this several more times, but maybe I just grab some drones that wouldn't have been destroyed anyway, and you can only manage to take the stuff at the top of the freight-menu. But it still intrigues me that I can see all the gear for half a second after the bail.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”