How does my station know what is 'surplus'?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

How does my station know what is 'surplus'?

Post by LameFox » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 06:06

I set up a trade station in Grand Exchange III a while back, just a simple thing with some docks and a storage, configured it to trade some wares with highish margins in the area, and then promptly ignored it.

For some time now it's been sending me money, which it calls 'excess', which is fine. But I noticed something a bit strange about it: the amount of money it thinks it needs, in the overview, is something like 18,000,000 credits. I guess that's the cost of buying every ware until full, or something. Obviously it won't really need to do that, because it ships them out again almost as soon as they arrive. What's interesting is that it doesn't wait to make that much before it sends me 'excess'. It's only keeping ~2,000,000 credits on it.

Functionally, this is fine. But I can't for the life of me find out where that number comes from. If there's a setting for it I haven't located it, either in the station itself or the account management screen. How does it determine what counts as excess? Does it tell me anywhere what it considers excess or do I just have to watch how much it keeps?

edit: I was wrong about the term, in the log it's called 'surplus'
***modified***

Raptor34
x4

Re: How does my station know what is 'surplus'?

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 06:59

Last I heard apparently it has something to do with how much money you give it.
Like how much money you manually put into the budget.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 07:03

Hm... that would make sense, I probably had about 2 mil spare when I built it. But it seems very obscure, is it not displayed anywhere? If I had other stations at this point I'd have no memory of how much I gave this particular one by now.
***modified***

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 07:43

Sadly no. Nor can we control it.
With that said, I think just setting a new budget should override whatever old settings.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 09:25

Surplus can be set manually like that.

In Station logical overview:
- if you manually transfer x amount of cash to the station, e.g. 10 mil.
- the surplus will be then consider everything above x * 3 e.g. 30 mil.
- I think it works like that, when x* 3 is reached it transfer to you everything above x * 2, so when you reach 30 mil it will tranfer you 10 mil to get to 20 mil.

Please note that this has nothing to do with station projected "how much cash station need to operate" (which is broken anyway and for large station is show absur amount of money).
Therefore you could have your manual transfer of 10 mil and surplus will be transfered at 30 mil even if station claim it needs 50 mil to operate.

The amount of cash you manually set first at logical overview is your (x) - every time you manually ajdust it, the (x) is updated.

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:38

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 09:25

- I think it works like that, when x* 3 is reached it transfer to you everything above x * 2, so when you reach 30 mil it will tranfer you 10 mil to get to 20 mil.

Please note that this has nothing to do with station projected "how much cash station need to operate" (which is broken anyway and for large station is show absur amount of money).
Therefore you could have your manual transfer of 10 mil and surplus will be transfered at 30 mil even if station claim it needs 50 mil to operate.

The amount of cash you manually set first at logical overview is your (x) - every time you manually ajdust it, the (x) is updated.
Stations probably factor in storage space when calculating their budget. So that increases as you add more to a big complex.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:56

paraskous wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:38
mr.WHO wrote:

Stations probably factor in storage space when calculating their budget. So that increases as you add more to a big complex.
Afaict budget is basically cost to fill up your storage. Essentially buy amount x buy price.

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:01

Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 10:56
paraskous wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:

Afaict budget is basically cost to fill up your storage. Essentially buy amount x buy price.
Even if I don't want to buy but just buffer production.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:20

paraskous wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:01
Raptor34 wrote:
paraskous wrote:

Its a script, not a mind reader.

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:39

Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:20
paraskous wrote:
Thu, 8. Apr 21, 11:01
Raptor34 wrote:

Its a script, not a mind reader.
Yes, I know. I just don't fill up the balance in these cases.

Return to “X4: Foundations”