BOREDOM OF MINING FOR CRYSTALS

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PaperDog

BOREDOM OF MINING FOR CRYSTALS

Post by PaperDog » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 22:59

Honestly... I cant stay awake; literally; as I search asteroids for glitter rocks. Is there NO OTHER WAY to obtain the crystals, which I need for this Paranid Palace mission? I'm seriously about to slip into an episode of narcolepsy here...
PaperDog

xant
x4

Re: BOREDOM OF MINING FOR CRYSTALS

Post by xant » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:28

Press Shift+1, Shift+2, Shift+3 and Shift+4 in a fast succession, that should change your mode and keep you awake for a bit.

Other than that there is no way (that I know of) to get those crystals aside from mining them.

Novia Star
x3

Post by Novia Star » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:48

Listen to some "ROCK" music. LOL. I recommend Stone temple pilots... lol i did it again.
My Digital life is causing gliches !n My r3@L L!f3

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:51

If you're playing an unmodified 3.30 game you can also get crystals from some of the Ventures.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:53

I seriously recommend editing your save file...

Dachmich

Post by Dachmich » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 00:49

If you take control of one of the larger mining ships the lazers auto target/destroy all asteroids you get close to. The rate at which you find them is relatively quick but I recommend DO NOT use cargo drones as they will simply play bumper cars trying to dock.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 01:48

Use your common sence ! Dont do the mission. !
Some things in the game are not worth the bother !
Go get some sleep.

PaperDog

Post by PaperDog » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:22

Dachmich wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 00:49
If you take control of one of the larger mining ships the lazers auto target/destroy all asteroids you get close to. The rate at which you find them is relatively quick but I recommend DO NOT use cargo drones as they will simply play bumper cars trying to dock.
I used my own miner as you have described... Perhaps I'm in the wrong asteroid field. Any sectors I should look at?
PaperDog

PaperDog

Post by PaperDog » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:22

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:53
Which tag should I search on?
PaperDog

PaperDog

Post by PaperDog » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:24

Novia Star wrote:
Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:48
Listen to some "ROCK" music. LOL. I recommend Stone temple pilots... lol i did it again.
I saw what you did there... lol
PaperDog

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:42

I fire up my travel drive, then disengage flight assist. I then drift through the sector while looking at the rocks around me. It's more to do so not quite as mind numbing, and I also get to more quickly check the rocks that spin slowly.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 15:50

PaperDog wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:22
dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 11. Jan 21, 23:53
Which tag should I search on?
It's in your <inventory> they are "ware ware="inv_crystal_01"> 01 through 05 all kinds of crystal. If you have just one of these just search for it. If not search for $PlayerTaxi, inventory is close to this point

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 15:58

At that point, I think this thread can go over to spoilers.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

PaperDog

Post by PaperDog » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 16:39

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 15:58
At that point, I think this thread can go over to spoilers.
Really? You call this a "spoiler"?
To me, A spoiler would imply the exposure of a critical (hence, meaningful) subplot to a significant and meaningful main plot. If you are even calling this crystal hunt a meaningful sub plot, then surely you guys could have added more intrigue and sensible options to it? As it currently stands, ( unless people actually enjoy navigating aimlessly through the open map), this mind numbing exercise only serves to 'kill' the spirit of the intended bigger objective. Sorry, I'm just being honest. ( In my opinion), it would have been better to offer an explicit, tactical procedure and challenge, like... You can get 'x crystals' by taking out enemies 'near' a 'pirate base', located in x sector; You can purchase Y crystals for the mere sum of 1,000,000,000 from the HOP faction, etc... Or even through a sub-series of activities to unlock various paths... ANYTHING but wandering the map , hoping to get lucky. My point being, I think this hardly qualifies as a 'spoiler' But thats just my own opinion :p
PaperDog

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 17:08

You find crystal hunting boring and want a hint, cheat or short cut, and that's fine. Others don't want a cheat nor to be tempted by any quick fix. It was a toss up whether it moved to S&M or Spoilers and the latter won.

BTW, it's not 'my' game and I'm not 'you guys' who can influence the game design; I'm just a player like you who happens to have volunteered to moderate the forum too. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

PaperDog

Post by PaperDog » Tue, 12. Jan 21, 19:43

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 17:08
You find crystal hunting boring and want a hint, cheat or short cut, and that's fine. Others don't want a cheat nor to be tempted by any quick fix. It was a toss up whether it moved to S&M or Spoilers and the latter won.

BTW, it's not 'my' game and I'm not 'you guys' who can influence the game design; I'm just a player like you who happens to have volunteered to moderate the forum too. :wink:
Yes. Crystal Hunting bores the crap out of me... (And subsequently, so does corn hunting) lol! In this case, the spoiler alert to crystal hunting IS 'crystal hunting', literally. Cheats are cheats... But This was more a question of asking if there was anything in the game design that provides an alternate approach to zombie flight through space... ;).
PaperDog

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 16. Jan 21, 20:45

PaperDog wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 16:39
Really? You call this a "spoiler"?
To me, A spoiler would imply the exposure of a critical (hence, meaningful) subplot to a significant and meaningful main plot. If you are even calling this crystal hunt a meaningful sub plot, then surely you guys could have added more intrigue and sensible options to it? As it currently stands, ( unless people actually enjoy navigating aimlessly through the open map), this mind numbing exercise only serves to 'kill' the spirit of the intended bigger objective. Sorry, I'm just being honest. ( In my opinion), it would have been better to offer an explicit, tactical procedure and challenge, like... You can get 'x crystals' by taking out enemies 'near' a 'pirate base', located in x sector; You can purchase Y crystals for the mere sum of 1,000,000,000 from the HOP faction, etc... Or even through a sub-series of activities to unlock various paths... ANYTHING but wandering the map , hoping to get lucky. My point being, I think this hardly qualifies as a 'spoiler' But thats just my own opinion :p
Ahhh... there were actually two quests like you described in X3 TC in 2 different subplots. Personally I don't expect anything even resembling X3 (or X2 for that reason) to "reach" X4, except for race and ship names of course...

Dachmich

Post by Dachmich » Mon, 18. Jan 21, 03:13

PaperDog wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 03:22
Dachmich wrote:
Tue, 12. Jan 21, 00:49
I used my own miner as you have described... Perhaps I'm in the wrong asteroid field. Any sectors I should look at?
Hey PaperDog
Spoiler
Show
4.0 save, Grand Exchange 1, Chthonios Mineral (L hull) 10 crystals dropped instantly as soon as I teleported to the ship and took control. Spaceflies and Lodestones drop in similar manners.
Sry for late reply

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 18. Jan 21, 08:59

Usually you should try Trinity Sanctum III (where the Data Vault is, not the "north" icefield) or/and Argon Prime in the resource field that snakes around the Wharf.
That said, the crystals on demand for the mission are "easier" found on Faulty Logic and Atiya's Misfortune(!!!). So you have either "pacified" these sectors already, or you use a good Fleet to watch your back, or just plain edit the savegame....

Gimbutz
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gimbutz » Wed, 20. Jan 21, 12:43

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 16. Jan 21, 20:45
Ahhh... there were actually two quests like you described in X3 TC in 2 different subplots. Personally I don't expect anything even resembling X3 (or X2 for that reason) to "reach" X4, except for race and ship names of course...
Give us further specific examples of old mission mechanics you liked (ideally in a separate thread) and we'll add them to our ever-growing brainstorming session. You'll find that acting in good faith will yield better results than repeating "X4 will never have good missions" over and over again. You might even inspire others to share and discuss their thoughts instead of quenching feedback with the notion that nothing's going to change anyway.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”