Old wolf back in the game

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

perceval
x3

Old wolf back in the game

Post by perceval » Wed, 28. Oct 20, 01:43

Hey everyone,

Anyone knows where I could find some XBTF save games?

It's been a really long time since I came to these forums, as I haven't continued in the X universe, after Terran Conflict. Did not finish it, in fatc. Not that it wasn't good. I just needed to do something else for a while, and just hadn't gotten back to it. Prior to that, I initially started in 1999 with XBTF and damn, did I find the game immersive, with its space vastness feeling and ambiance. Couldn't stop playing!

Anyway, I wanted after all those years, to get back into the X series and get a good recap on the story, before finishing XTC and continuing after. I had save games for all the story "key points" for all the games. I wanted to pass a few hours in each, as a recap (I know... I can find videos on YouTube). Unfortunately, I cannot find my XBTF save games. It's the only one I'm missing.

To help an old X sea wolf get back into the game... :mrgreen: Thanks in advance for any help!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Old wolf back in the game

Post by Nanook » Thu, 29. Oct 20, 19:24

Hey perceval, welcome back. I may have what you need, if I can find them. My wife says I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to computers, since I kept almost all my machines including my old Commodore from 1984. And most are still in working order with all the old data still on them. So give me some time and I may still have all my old X-BTF saves on one or more of them. I'll give you a holler if I find them. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Fri, 30. Oct 20, 19:03

Thanks a bunch! I've restarted a new game, but I'm unsure I'm willing to go through it again. So yours would be welcome indeed. I also bought X-Tension to give it a little go, but the game won't even start on Windows 10 current built (2004 update)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 30. Oct 20, 19:32

Hi. There might be some useful advice here although the windows borders issue might need further reasssessment after Win10 updates since it was first posted.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Fri, 30. Oct 20, 20:27

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 30. Oct 20, 19:32
Hi. There might be some useful advice here although the windows borders issue might need further reasssessment after Win10 updates since it was first posted.
Thanks! Tried a few of those alternatives and unfortunately nothing has worked either, so far. Continuing. I read in the Steam discussions that the devs had to update the installscript.vdf file at some points. Perhaps, as usual, the latest Win 10 creator update has broken some settings.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 31. Oct 20, 08:12

perceval wrote:
Fri, 30. Oct 20, 19:03
I also bought X-Tension to give it a little go, but the game won't even start on Windows 10 current built (2004 update)
What build number are you on? On 19041 X-Tension still starts fine for me.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Sat, 31. Oct 20, 17:08

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Sat, 31. Oct 20, 08:12
What build number are you on? On 19041 X-Tension still starts fine for me.
Build: 19041.572. What compatibility settings are you using, if any? Have you appliad any of the aforementioned fixes?

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sat, 31. Oct 20, 20:48

Apparently, I'm still on build 19041.488. I'm running XT right out of Steam with or without registry changes; does not make any difference to me.

Have you tried deselecting the "Use settings" checkbox from the XT starter before actually starting the game?

Edit: Also what monitor resolution are you using? Running 1920x1080 myself, but I've seen reports from people having problems trying to run the game with a resolution of 2550x1440.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 00:21

I have 19041.610. Steam version did start, when I had desktop in 1920x1080 mode, but fails on 3440x1440 mode.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 04:13

I'm running at native resolution of 3440x1440 with my monitor. I tried changing my desktop resolution at 1920x1440 to remain in 4:3 prior launching the game, without success. I'm un-checking the "Use settings" option as well. So the game doesn't give me any chance to at least start with some low resolution, and working my way up. Always a crash right after the splash screen.

UPDATE: I tried setting my desktop resolution to 1920x1080, the game in Windows 7 and XP SP2 compatibility settings. Still fails...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 13:46

Have you verified the game installation (Steam or GOG)?

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 15:12

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 1. Nov 20, 13:46
Have you verified the game installation (Steam or GOG)?
Sorry, should have specified that at the beginning. I have the Steam version. Checking files integrity is one of the first things I did.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 15:24

I wonder if this advice might help you at all?

The only other thing I can suggest is a clean removal and reinstall of the game (it isn't all that big anyway) in case there is a corrupted file that is not being detected by the verification tool. That worked for another poster with similar X-BtF problems.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 16:16

Yes, I've seen that in the Steam discussions. Apparently, one of the devs updated the file at some point and it started to work again for several people. That was already a few years back, though. I tried removing the file and that also did not work. I also tried applying the registry compatibility fix here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=382085

I'm always up for these kinds of challenges (making it work) but I'm about to drop it on this one. If all fails, I hope I can at least have a refund on Steam.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 17:47

If it won't start then you shouldn't be progressing towards the 2 hour play limit for refunds. You should have the chance to try a reinstall without hazarding that safety net. (Even if you did somehow go over, you could *probably* convince Steam support by giving a link to this thread.)

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 18:57

Yeah, thanks a bunch for all the tips. Do you know if tht GOG version has less problems than the Steam version? Perhaps I'll turn towards that alternative...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 19:17

They should be identical in game file terms apart from GOG not using the Steam redirect exe and DRM obviously.

There's possible use of different versions of standard libraries, although I don't know about that for sure.

perceval
x3

Post by perceval » Wed, 4. Nov 20, 04:19

OK, I managed to get it working in the most recent Windows 10 build. I have tried so many combinations for compatibility settings, that at some point out of desperation, I finally bought the GOG version (a big 2$ !) to check if I could have better luck. After playing a while once again with some settings, I found THE setup that works for me. So if some of you feel a draft of nostalgia and ever want to to give X-Tension a spin, you can try this. I've tested it in both, Steam and GOG versions and this procedure works just fine.

Those who like me, have a 1440p monitor (mine is 3440x1440), may find it to be an exercise in frustration but this recipe should work for you as well. Here are the steps to follow:

1- Compatibility settings must be the same for BOTH executables, runme.exe AND X-TENSION.exe.
2- In the compatibility settings tab, check "Run this program in compatibility mode for" : Windows 98 / Windows Me
3- In the compatibility settings tab, check "Reduced color mode" : 16-bit (65536) color
4- Set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 (NO, 1920x1440 or 2560x1440 does not work ; at least for me)
5- Start the game and un-check "Use settings"

The game should start normally. You can then set the settings you like. However, I noticed 2 things :

1- The sound settings panel does not want to close if I ever open it. I must close the application.
2- I read a post from someone who claimed to be able to play at any "desired" resolution. As far as I'm concerned, and as opposed to X-BTF, there's nothing higher than
1280x1024 available in the resolution dropbox. So I'd like to know how if possible, I could play in 1440.

Thanks everyone who offered some advice through this cumbersome process. Much appreciated and see ya all in Argon Prime! :mrgreen:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”