Are Xenon K ships able to jump in space-time?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mr.Killer
x4

Are Xenon K ships able to jump in space-time?

Post by Mr.Killer » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 20:28

There I was wasting my time in enemy territory when I found Matrix #79b, ahhhhh, new X stations to kill!!!. I gathered my fleet of not the brightest in the whole fleet, but alas, we can build more of them idiots who plunge into heavy enemy fire all the time.... (There should really be a mode for that, not so close/fire range/target turrets first (for all ships attacking please) and also ships that are defending/supply/follow, like a monitor, is eager to put himself at gunpoint....)
So I had a clear view of these two stations, was in my Raptor, slowly approaching, all of a sudden not one but two Xenon-K ships appeared almost within weapon range.... That was odd

I thought that X4 did not had jump drive........?????

(NO I do not have a savegame where that actually going to happen, who has?)

Falcrack
x4

Re: Are Xenon K ships able to jump in space-time?

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 20:29

They do have travel drive, and can use it over long distance, so they can move in pretty quick if they want to.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 22:18

.....ehm, no, I have travel drive too, but not like flash! One K...flash!! Second K....., so no, not travel drive. Otherwise I had spotted them before in my hud-display and on the map. No way they were anywhere near the area....

Next suggestion.....

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 18. Oct 20, 23:45

Curious : Were they in your point of view when they appeared (aka you literally saw the 3d models pop into existence right in front of you at a short distance) or where you looking in some other direction and you only saw their red contact rectancles suddenly appear at the edges of your screen/you saw them appear on your map?

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Mon, 19. Oct 20, 10:57

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 23:45
Curious : Were they in your point of view when they appeared (aka you literally saw the 3d models pop into existence right in front of you at a short distance) or where you looking in some other direction and you only saw their red contact rectancles suddenly appear at the edges of your screen/you saw them appear on your map?
Exactly yes!, I was looking into that direction and they popped up within 5 seconds, as I drove my big limousine (Raptor) that cannot maneuver so fast as you all well know, and on the left side of my view (there where all the beautiful things appear) I was pointing into the direction of a soon-to-be-destroyed-Xenon-station, and on the right/middle side of my screen those two K's appeared out of nowhere.... So, that was new for me too...
Shall we categorize this as Anomalie nr 92400442 ? :lol:

Remember what I wrote:
Mr.Killer wrote:
Sun, 18. Oct 20, 20:28
......not one but two Xenon-K ships appeared almost within weapon range....

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 19. Oct 20, 23:33

Assuming a reasonable draw distance setting (fairly far away, not near minimum setting), the pop-in can be caused by loading bottlenecks. For example if using a mechanical HDD and flying a raptor with Argon Travel engines and with modifications installed on it for faster speed. Even with a SSD such bottlenecks can occur due to CPU since asset loading seems staggered to some extent either due to resource limitations of the CPU or to improve frame time consistency. Asset loading and pop-in may be improved for 4.00 as it is an area the developers are looking at.

During my recorded playthrough I encountered this problem when flying through Tharka's Cascade. A water purification complex poped-in right in front of my nose too close to react to but I fortunately happened to be on a course that missed it.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Tue, 20. Oct 20, 11:58

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 19. Oct 20, 23:33
Assuming a reasonable draw distance setting (fairly far away, not near minimum setting), the pop-in can be caused by loading bottlenecks. For example if using a mechanical HDD and flying a raptor with Argon Travel engines and with modifications installed on it for faster speed. Even with a SSD such bottlenecks can occur due to CPU since asset loading seems staggered to some extent either due to resource limitations of the CPU or to improve frame time consistency. Asset loading and pop-in may be improved for 4.00 as it is an area the developers are looking at.

During my recorded playthrough I encountered this problem when flying through Tharka's Cascade. A water purification complex poped-in right in front of my nose too close to react to but I fortunately happened to be on a course that missed it.
That would make sense.... I too see that at travelspeed the HUD is faster in showing a red or bleu marker and in the screen they appear later on, or almost as you said, closeby... My question still remains the fact that I was standing almost still in my Raptor, so, this is something different, but it could be what you described - ish.....
:gruebel:

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Tue, 20. Oct 20, 19:25

This sort of thing also happens a lot (for some reason, especially with Ks) when you cross the boundary of where the game simulates things with greater granularity. At greater distances, the calculations for position and movement don't quite work the same (you'll often see ships with ridiculous or negative speeds for the same reason) - when you cross the threshold the game calculates the object's proper position and velocity and instantly snaps it into position. Which is sometimes miles away.

SunofVich
x3

Post by SunofVich » Mon, 26. Oct 20, 19:16

The following is an excerpt from a mod description that disables encounters. I believe you just experienced one of these encounters.

[quote]X4 has an encounter mechanism which creates random bits of chaos as the player flies around. Certain jobs have an encounter ID attached, and when the player flies into a new zone, the game sometimes warps these ships in front of the player and overrides their current orders. The encounter mechanism doesn't spawn ships!! - it warps existing ships.[/quote]

Source: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... escription

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Tue, 27. Oct 20, 03:55

SunofVich wrote:
Mon, 26. Oct 20, 19:16
The following is an excerpt from a mod description that disables encounters. I believe you just experienced one of these encounters.
X4 has an encounter mechanism which creates random bits of chaos as the player flies around. Certain jobs have an encounter ID attached, and when the player flies into a new zone, the game sometimes warps these ships in front of the player and overrides their current orders. The encounter mechanism doesn't spawn ships!! - it warps existing ships.
Source: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations ... escription
Pretty sure the encounter system does not include capital ships.

Return to “X4: Foundations”