Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Re: China Coronavirus

Post by Observe » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 18:51

felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 17:55
Sorry guys, I'm ranting here, I'm just pissed off that people are not taking this seriously and are moaning about being cooped up for a few weeks. meanwhile I'm cooped up for least 3 moths plus the month I've already done. The only time I will get out is to go to the hospital, where I will probably go and catch something from one of the many idiots that are not taking this seriously and die a week later because there are no hospital beds or respirators because they are full and being used by the idiots.
Trump from yesterday:
Look, we lose thousands — I brought some numbers here — we lose thousands and thousands of people a year to the flu. We don’t turn the country off. Now, when I heard the number — you know, we average 37,000 people a year — can you believe that? And actually this year we’re having a bad flu system. But we lose thousands of people a year to the flu. We never turn the country off. We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up the automobile companies and say, ‘Stop making cars. We don’t want any cars anymore.’ We have to get back to work.
I don't know about other countries, but it is no surprise that a lot of people in the U.S. are not taking it seriously, when their President is blatantly more interested in losing dollars and votes than losing lives. There are several reasons why automobile accidents and the flu are radically different in risk than this current virus. Once again, Trump is sending messages that don't correspond to what the health experts are telling us.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 18:57

Observe wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 18:51
felter wrote:
Sorry guys, I'm ranting here, I'm just pissed off that people are not taking this seriously and are moaning about being cooped up for a few weeks. meanwhile I'm cooped up for least 3 moths plus the month I've already done. The only time I will get out is to go to the hospital, where I will probably go and catch something from one of the many idiots that are not taking this seriously and die a week later because there are no hospital beds or respirators because they are full and being used by the idiots.
Trump from yesterday:
Look, we lose thousands — I brought some numbers here — we lose thousands and thousands of people a year to the flu. We don’t turn the country off. Now, when I heard the number — you know, we average 37,000 people a year — can you believe that? And actually this year we’re having a bad flu system. But we lose thousands of people a year to the flu. We never turn the country off. We lose much more than that to automobile accidents. We didn’t call up the automobile companies and say, ‘Stop making cars. We don’t want any cars anymore.’ We have to get back to work.
I don't know about other countries, but it is no surprise that a lot of people in the U.S. are not taking it seriously, when their President is blatantly more interested in losing dollars and votes than losing lives. There are several reasons why automobile accidents and the flu are radically different in risk than this current virus. Once again, Trump is sending messages that don't correspond to what the health experts are telling us.
That from the mouth of a buffoon. And why Trump is causing more issues. He simply doesn't give a damn about lives. And as long as Trump keeps talking like that, the infection rate will continue to skyrocket. He simply doesn't understand. All he sees is the big fat dollar sign in front of his eyes. If that goes down, he throws a tantrum.
=

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 20:15

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:06
felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 13:54
Yeah great videos, but all of those people they are moaning about, what is the reasoning they are giving that it's okay for them to be out and about, it's because they say I'm not old and or I don't have an underlying health condition so I'll be okay. Just where do you think they got that idea from, where do you think the idea that you will be okay if you're not old and have health issues, it's because the press keeps on mentioning it every damn time they mention a new death, they always have underlying health issues and they always mention it.
Actually, the most recent news I saw said that a 21-year-old with *no* underlying health condition died of the virus a couple of days ago...
iirc the report I saw said that her aunt said that she had no underlying health issues. I doubt they've had time to do an autopsy yet (and they will, given her age). So whilst we obviously can't rule out COVID-19 being the sole cause of her death, I suspect that at the moment we can't say categorically that it was.

EDIT: Actually I think it was her mum that said she had no underlying health issues. Still.....
Last edited by RegisterMe on Wed, 25. Mar 20, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 20:40

matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 18:57
Observe wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 18:51
felter wrote:
Trump from yesterday:
That from the mouth of a buffoon. And why Trump is causing more issues. He simply doesn't give a damn about lives. And as long as Trump keeps talking like that, the infection rate will continue to skyrocket. He simply doesn't understand. All he sees is the big fat dollar sign in front of his eyes. If that goes down, he throws a tantrum.
I'm almost tempted to say let em, if it wasn't for sensible people being put at risk because of the idiots that decide to listen to their orange overlord. The world could do with a few less morons.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 21:19

Latest tweet by him is very, very scary...
Donald J. Trump wrote:The LameStream Media is the dominant force in trying to get me to keep our Country closed as long as possible in the hope that it will be detrimental to my election success. The real people want to get back to work ASAP. We will be stronger than ever before!
How could any human make a pandemic killing so many about his election chances... Damn...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 00:58

With trump it's just me, me, me, he has no compassion sympathy or empathy towards any other living being, unless it concerns himself. The American press are just doing the exact same thing that the press is doing in ever single country in the world. He is acting like it is only happening to America, meanwhile something like a third of the worlds population are currently locked down, it's not just an American thing it's a world thing. To Trump though it isn't even an American thing, to him it's a Trump thing, the virus is out to get him personally. He can't even see that people are dying from it, he can't see that Americans are currently hurting, all he can see is that the virus is stopping him from doing what he wants to do and to him that's not right. The dangerous part is that right now he is showing that he is willing to do whatever he wants, no matter what the consequences are.

I wonder how many Republicans are thinking, maybe we should have impeached him, maybe we should have thrown him out of office. But then look at the alternative, if Pence was in charge he would be telling Americans to get down on their knees and pray, as only the lord god almighty can save them, so maybe they are better off with Trump.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 01:25

Two news stories worthy of a read the first is about Trump and the second is about someone who is now ill trying to get tested for Covid-19 in America.

What this crisis reveals about US

How it shouldn't be done

I don't think that reporter likes Trump much, and I feel sorry for that lady and the people she has been in contact with.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 02:39

The joys of hand washing/putting groceries away.

Step 1 turn on tap with hands and contaminate tap

step 2 wash hands

step 3 turn off tap that has possibly become contaminated and possibly recontaminate hands.

and the list goes on. Door knobs, fridge handles, etc... pita

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 04:46

For our friends overseas keep in mind that America is not a unified state. We are not designed for the federal government to micromanage everything and we shouldn't desire that. The federal government has resources that it can give to the states and it does do that during emergencies. There is a chain of leadership from there. The various structures of government of America is an unholy mess of things being right for some areas and not in others and some leaders being capable and some not and some having money and some not. There is no universal standard and some of our levels of government are just plain impotent from mismanagement and leaders being selected for virtues other than ability. America is a mess of different policies depending on where you are on our map. The responsibility for deciding what to do is on those local governments. It's why I'm working tomorrow while my relatives in other states are not. That is being guided by our local government and not President Trump. The responsibility has been distributed here far beyond any one person.
Who made that man a gunner?

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 05:21

The next 24 hours are going to go down as one of the worst days in American history. By this time tomorrow America will have more confirmed cases of Covid-19 than any other country on the planet, including China. The saddest part, America's death count from the virus will surpass the 1,333 dead that France currently counts. I suspect that it will either be closing in on the 2.077 death count from Iran, or it may even pass that mark. Unfortunately for Americans it's only going to get worse over the next few weeks.

This has been a screw up right from the very start and you can't just blame your local Government officials, you have to blame the boss as ultimately they are the ones to blame and we all know who the boss is and we all know how he has been responding to the crisis, from arguing with the press blaming them for everything as it's all a conspiracy to remove him from office, to hurt his chance for re-election. He has shown zero compassion or empathy for anyone or anything other than himself and the stock market. He has made his bed now he has to lay in it, he has to stand up and take responsibility for the mess he has to take control and get the problem sorted, the thing is he has never ever sorted a problem out in his life he has always bought his way out of it but you can't buy a way out of death and death is calling for many an American tonight. You can't blame that on your local government.

Do the right thing and stay safe.

Masterbagger
x4

Post by Masterbagger » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 06:29

felter wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 05:21
The next 24 hours are going to go down as one of the worst days in American history. By this time tomorrow America will have more confirmed cases of Covid-19 than any other country on the planet, including China. The saddest part, America's death count from the virus will surpass the 1,333 dead that France currently counts. I suspect that it will either be closing in on the 2.077 death count from Iran, or it may even pass that mark. Unfortunately for Americans it's only going to get worse over the next few weeks.

This has been a screw up right from the very start and you can't just blame your local Government officials, you have to blame the boss as ultimately they are the ones to blame and we all know who the boss is and we all know how he has been responding to the crisis, from arguing with the press blaming them for everything as it's all a conspiracy to remove him from office, to hurt his chance for re-election. He has shown zero compassion or empathy for anyone or anything other than himself and the stock market. He has made his bed now he has to lay in it, he has to stand up and take responsibility for the mess he has to take control and get the problem sorted, the thing is he has never ever sorted a problem out in his life he has always bought his way out of it but you can't buy a way out of death and death is calling for many an American tonight. You can't blame that on your local government.

Do the right thing and stay safe.
It's a world wide thing but the discussion seems to revolve around opinions of what President Trump is doing or saying about it. I've been conditioned by years of witnessing Trump derangement from otherwise sane people to suspect some of this is preexisting anger seizing a means to lash out at a president they don't like. You're not mad at France or Iran or China. What America is doing right now is completely abnormal. We have never shut down like this in our recent memory. You want to be mad at Trump then be mad. Be honest to yourself though. This isn't how we handled the last chinese virus. The last time we had 12000 dead and we didn't do this. Whatever you end up thinking about it you can't say that this time we didn't try to do better.
Who made that man a gunner?

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 07:48

So ... they did it. The bill is passed, unanimously I might add. 96 - 0.

You know, there is one thing that has been lacking from Washington in the last one month period - the vitriol partisan that plague our politic since like what felt like forever ago. I remember before shit hit the fans, some journalists tried to prod a few senators with partisan questions like will they consider attaching their flagship agenda to these corona-bills, and politicians from both side flatly rejected the idea, saying "nope, we do that and these bills not going anywhere, they will be considered on their own merit". Tbh at the time I didn't believe them, now with what's been going on in Washington for the last 12 years. But you know what, to my pleasant surprise they kept their words until now. Yes, there are disagreement, yes people still want to stick to their ideology. But gone were the name calling, the hysterical accusation, people were able to respect each other differences and debate in good faith. Even arc-nemesis have so far kept a respectful distance while getting the job done.

I never thought I would say this but: the media, and the people who crave for those sensational headline - can learn a thing or two from how our politicians are acting. I have always said: before you accuse someone of something, reflect if you're guilty of the same crime or not. For me, when I see people or the media accuse Trump of being obsess with no one but himself instead of the crisis, a lot of time I want to ask: do these very same people take a step back and look at what they have been saying every single day to reflect, and realize that they are also more obsessed with Trump than the crisis itself?.

It is becoming harder and harder to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they're genuinely worried about the well being of the affected, rather than a twisted desire just to see the world burnt. I admit, it's a horrible thing to suspect of another human, but I also have to admit, it's getting harder and harder not to. I simply can't wrap my mind around the idea that people will continue preaching doom after doom after doom on the affected, running sensational headline after headline that would do nothing but to make other panic out of "love and compassion", rather it feels more like they can't contain a dark desire from showing.

I'll say this one last time: the US is a Federal, not a monarchy nor dictatorship. It wasn't built by one person, for one person, it's not run by one person and won't be brought down because of one person. In these trial time, it's much better to look for the good and hope, rather than doom and gloom. In one of the movie I watched a few years ago there were a scene that resonated deeply with me: a hearing where a self-serving politician were trying to accuse a military squad for failing to protect 25% of the civilian during an attack, but one person who did the testimony counter and said that is wrong. The squad didn't fail to protect 25% of the civilian, they succeeded in protecting 75% against overwhelming odd.

And with that long rant (my apology), I'll take my leave of this thread. Like I said I had tried to insulate myself from these kind of vitriol hysteria by cutting myself off from most mainstream media and social platforms, it's not something that's healthy for people who are under stress. But I still visited this thread because you know, it's still good to able to talk with someone about it. And I had hoped a thread on this particular forum can be a place to talk about it safely. But despite repeated pleading from myself and others to keep this thread insulated from the daily obsession with certain man ... it doesn't appear to be possible. So for the good of my sanity, I'm signing off this particular thread.

So stay safe, and keep everyone around you safe, both in body and mind. And I mean it.
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 08:27

Mightysword wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 07:48
So ... they did it. The bill is passed, unanimously I might add. 96 - 0.

You know, there is one thing that has been lacking from Washington in the last one month period - the vitriol partisan that plague our politic since like what felt like forever ago. I remember before shit hit the fans, some journalists tried to prod a few senators with partisan questions like will they consider attaching their flagship agenda to these corona-bills, and politicians from both side flatly rejected the idea, saying "nope, we do that and these bills not going anywhere, they will be considered on their own merit". Tbh at the time I didn't believe them, now with what's been going on in Washington for the last 12 years. But you know what, to my pleasant surprise they kept their words until now. Yes, there are disagreement, yes people still want to stick to their ideology. But gone were the name calling, the hysterical accusation, people were able to respect each other differences and debate in good faith. Even arc-nemesis have so far kept a respectful distance while getting the job done.
You must not be paying attention to the news or to Trump because that's all he's been doing from the jump.
Mightysword wrote:
I never thought I would say this but: the media, and the people who crave for those sensational headline - can learn a thing or two from how our politicians are acting. I have always said: before you accuse someone of something, reflect if you're guilty of the same crime or not. For me, when I see people or the media accuse Trump of being obsess with no one but himself instead of the crisis, a lot of time I want to ask: do these very same people take a step back and look at what they have been saying every single day to reflect, and realize that they are also more obsessed with Trump than the crisis itself?.
And what exactly are you doing? How many more times are you going to criticize people for criticizing the orange idiot and his merry band of worshipers?
Mightysword wrote:
It is becoming harder and harder to give them the benefit of the doubt, that they're genuinely worried about the well being of the affected, rather than a twisted desire just to see the world burnt. I admit, it's a horrible thing to suspect of another human, but I also have to admit, it's getting harder and harder not to. I simply can't wrap my mind around the idea that people will continue preaching doom after doom after doom on the affected, running sensational headline after headline that would do nothing but to make other panic out of "love and compassion", rather it feels more like they can't contain a dark desire from showing.
The world ain't sunshine and rainbows and this so called "president" is ****** up life for a lot of people, long before there was any threat of a virus. You can always stick your fingers in your ears and hum real loud until it's over.
Mightysword wrote:
I'll say this one last time: the US is a Federal, not a monarchy nor dictatorship. It wasn't built by one person, for one person, it's not run by one person and won't be brought down because of one person. In these trial time, it's much better to look for the good and hope, rather than doom and gloom. In one of the movie I watched a few years ago there were a scene that resonated deeply with me: a hearing where a self-serving politician were trying to accuse a military squad for failing to protect 25% of the civilian during an attack, but one person who did the testimony counter and said that is wrong. The squad didn't fail to protect 25% of the civilian, they succeeded in protecting 75% against overwhelming odd.
Well that's an awfully noble sentiment, but real life isn't a movie. Bad guys win, proof, there's one sitting in the oval office. People have a right to be angry with him. Nothing you say will take that away.
Mightysword wrote:
And with that long rant (my apology), I'll take my leave of this thread. Like I said I had tried to insulate myself from these kind of vitriol hysteria by cutting myself off from most mainstream media and social platforms, it's not something that's healthy for people who are under stress. But I still visited this thread because you know, it's still good to able to talk with someone about it. And I had hoped a thread on this particular forum can be a place to talk about it safely. But despite repeated pleading from myself and others to keep this thread insulated from the daily obsession with certain man ... it doesn't appear to be possible. So for the good of my sanity, I'm signing off this particular thread.
The second you can get him off twitter and away from news cameras and anything else that gives voice to his idiotic opinions or suggestions relating to this crisis, we'll stop talking about it. Regardless, you don't get to pick and choose what we say.
Mightysword wrote:
So stay safe, and keep everyone around you safe, both in body and mind. And I mean it.
Again, noble sentiment, but dodging reality is pretty damn unhealthy, imo.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 11:25

Well, the shit just got real for me. After washing my hands, and removing all traces of 'stuff' I set about my face with the same vigour, and managed to poke my pinky so far up my nose, I was sure it was gonna emerge with my eyeball attached to the end, like a macabre ice cream cone.

My sister also rang my mum last night to tell her she had Covid-19, sending my poor old mother into panic. - I had to explain to mum there were no tests to other than high risk groups (she isn't in them) and that my sister had spent the last 30 years self-diagnosing every illness known to humankind. - I once even got her to agree that she had 'prosthesis of the leg' after she'd twisted her ankle... :|

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 11:52

@ Gavrushka: Re your sister, well it's probably nearing an evens chance in the UK whether she really has been exposed to it or not and since the 'treatment' is the same for most people in either case, just tell your Mum not to panic because nothing about your sister's situation has changed.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:11

It's very hard to stop an (almost) 82 year old with anxiety issues not to panic, but luckily mum had been watching the bulletin about testing when my sister rang, so I helped her make the link it was just supposition. But, yeah, I appreciate it's a certainty that a large number of family and friends (of us all) have been exposed.

I did see the Oxford University equation, suggesting we'd almost all caught it, but I couldn't get my head around why there hadn't been more deaths, if that was the case. - Mind, I'm not entirely sure of the incubation period. Not sure if anyone is...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:39

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:11
I did see the Oxford University equation, suggesting we'd almost all caught it, but I couldn't get my head around why there hadn't been more deaths, if that was the case. - Mind, I'm not entirely sure of the incubation period. Not sure if anyone is...
Between about 5 and 14 days, is the generally accepted figure.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:57

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:39
Gavrushka wrote:
Ah, thank you. But that kinda makes you believe we've still a week+ of huge acceleration in the figures. Damn.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 14:05

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 26. Mar 20, 12:39
Gavrushka wrote:
I read this, but unfortunately can't find it now - it'd be bbc or guardian. The article was actually highlighting "why are models not accurate". For example, early predictions were wrong because it used data from 2002 which assumed different transmission rate or incubation period or something and did not use statistics from China's outbreak. The Oxford one suggesting 32 million were already infected was indicative of worst case - but was taken as yet another example that the models are based on assumptions rather than data to execute their modelling - which may or may not be remotely correct, accurate, reasonable etc as assumptions are just that (and always questionable). May also explain sudden changes in policy, as perhaps data was starting to be used and some shocking outcomes predicted.

One thing is for sure - UK numbers seem low. Having read plenty of articles with specific wording I believe that's only because confirmed cases are represented, and in the UK we only test those admitted to hospital.
Therefore for everyone who had symptoms but isn't in hospital (including the 36 year old Londoner who died at home after being told to stay at home the day before) aren't being included. So even those told to stay at home because it sounds like they have it... aren't included. I assume this anyway. The media says only admissions are tested :D

This means we can't have a US style jump of 10,000 cases in a day - not because we've got great measures, but simply because they also say they can only conduct 6,000 tests a day.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 26. Mar 20, 14:17

68,742 confirmed cases in the US, not long before the US hits Italy's confirmed case. Of course the number will be far higher. At this rate, there is no way that the US can re open for business come easter. It will do far worse damage to US lives. Will Trump do the right thing and keep things closed? but as he doesn't seem to care less, I suspect he might ignore the figures and thinks the US is safe again. But this will have huge repercussions.

But yeah, soon the US will be the number one hot spot. And you can only blame one man for not doing the right thing. It will certainly appear that the US is still a long way to go before it hits a peak. A long way to go.

Edit

Just shows that the US can't throw money at the problem

https://www.ccn.com/dow-futures-reverse ... scal-bomb/

And there are record numbers of people now out of work. I think its times like these that the currency system just doesn't work. Especailly when there is too much focus on stock markets and share prices, and profits. It sadly shows how greedy some people are. or how selfish the human race is. Especailly when there there are people that need support, not just in the US, but developing countries too.

I heard on the radio, (BBC world service) an interview of one of the UN's top leaders, (can't remember his name) he also worried about how the world in general is acting towards the virus, and very little support, help for some of the poorest areas and hard hit. that the world must fight this together, otherwise, it will have a strong chance of coming back, and re-spreading the virus back to areas that have managed to get rid of it.

Unless humans are one voice, and work together, the virus or something more dangerous will just come back and repeat the damage.

So anyway, at times like this, we humans have a lot to answer for, and really shows our bad sides. especailly when its certain people at the top who is always thinking of themselves rather then others.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”