Coronavirus: COVID-19

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Re: China Coronavirus

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 08:33

felter wrote:
Mon, 23. Mar 20, 01:29
Ouch, well it looks like my American predictions are starting to become true.
Except for the part about New York may run out, or projected to run out of supply in 10 days, just about everything else you said in that post are either misinformation or half truth. :sceptic:

1 - The US army already started moving its reserves supply around the country since 2 weeks ago for the short term need, which epic center like New York set to receive priority in the coming days.
2 - That's "here's some money" that you're mocking of is called "federal approved state of emergency", which is something a president (ANY president) only grants at the state request.
3 - Also today, in the morning the mayor of New York asked for the army to be deployed to help, by noon of the same day the WH approved the deployment of the army in 3 states, New York is being one of them.
4 - 2 hospital ships are being deployed on both coasts, with one of them (the Compassion) gonna be in NY next month. It's going through maintenance and resupply and staffing in VA right now. Once it's on station it'll add 1000 beds + that many medical staffs on site.
5 - The WH already signed into effect a law that allows government to compel industrial manufacture to produce needed items.

On point 2 and 3, Trump and NY have a history, and the media is certainly milking it for all its worth if you just mindlessly devouring all those sensationalizing headlines. On point 5, even after that law was signed (which basically clear any legal hurdle) certain sections of the media still try to spin it into a negative prospect in the past week. Fact is, it's not like the government can just go in and say "all of your factory belong to us", even with this law negotiations still have to happen, and then factories can't just be refurbish/reconfigure to produce something else overnight. To give you an update:

- In the past two weeks a large number of cosmetic/distilleries in the US already switched to producing sanitizers, in fact half of distillery in WA state are producing sanitizer products right now. I'm guessing because the production chain didn't need a large modification.
- General Motor since 10+ days ago had started the process of converting some of its manufacturing capacity into making medical supply like mask and ventilator, not that really different then what your RollsRoyce is doing, and 3 days ago Ford, Tesla and SpaceX joint that effort. I also expect more will join them soon once the government work out the agreement with companies. But yes, I'm fully aware if your choice of "news" came from a certain section of the media then you would think "NOTHING" is being done, I know because I ran across those articles myself. :shock:

Again, please, we're in the middle of a global crisis right now, and if anyone are going to care please be genuine about it, or at least try to be objective and impartial about it. If people want to criticize government slow response, if you want to complain about lack of resource I would understand. But PLEASE, if you just want to whack on your favorite villain then we already have a specific thread for that, just to echo an earlier request from other posters. There is no need to take every paragraphs, every sentences and butchered them into 101 things to get angry about. In the past two months I had pretty much tuned out anything any one said be it from Trump, McConnel, Pelosi, WHO official, Boris, Merkel or whoever. Heck I don't think I had even listened to ONE statement from the governor of my own state. Rather I track and stay informed of what they had done, what they are doing, and what are being planned to do. Ink or paper, practical action being carried out, objective stuffs like that instead of the sensational yet irrelevant crap the media are trying to feed me. :wink:
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 23. Mar 20, 11:55

felter wrote:
Ouch, well it looks like my American predictions are starting to become true.
Okay, don't take this the wrong way - but ...
felter wrote:
They are currently arguing on how to boost the economy with 2 trillion dollars (keeps going up), but what's the point of an economy when a large portion of you populace is dead.
The term "large proportion" is really vague - it definitely can be implied to mean greater than average. Thankfully, in this instance, it doesn't. You could claim it means 3-5%, but it does feel like an apocalyptic proportion that you make it sound being thrown around.
felter wrote:
We are in the same predicament with a lack of equipment, but here's the thing were diverting our manufacturing capabilities towards the manufacturing of those medical supplies, all trump seems to be doing is spending money.
Don't mistake a call going out with actual instant results. Likewise, don't dismiss the idea that money isn't part of expanding capabilities/capacities. Around Europe some companies are re-purposing to produce supplies off their own bat, it's true. However, taking ventilators which the Govt has asked for help making more - the increased numbers are in the short term coming from the existing makers attempting to ramp up production. It'll likely be months before any results are seen. Most commentators poured scorn on the idea.

Funnily enough, you mention money as not being important despite Govts around the world throwing hundreds of billions of pounds to stabilise markets and protect jobs - so it appears every nation believes protecting the economy is absolutely vital during combating the virus. Do you think it isn't? Are you saying there's no need?
felter wrote:
Some facts. NY has around 5% of all the cases of the covid-19 virus in the world and they are running out of supplies to keep that 5% alive.
Some facts? Figures to back up those "facts" please. Why do I ask? What you've just written imples (or believe?) that everyone who has this is "fighting to stay alive".
That's not a fact. That's hyperbole and demonstrably false; stop it.

Yes, a percentage of infected people require hospital treatment, and of that a percentage require intensive care beds and respirators. That is very true. There are figures out there to back that up - think it was in that Imperial College bit the UK Govt used to shape policy where it highlights the age groups, % cases requiring hospitalisation, % cases of those requiring intensive care respirators, %age cases that die. Per age group.

By the way, even if we had a respirator for everyone in the world, some people will still die. A shortage of them will mean more people will die than otherwise necessary, but it's not going to stop every death. The respirators just grant people's bodies enough time to be able to fight the virus, but if their lungs are being too badly damaged during that time, then...

I'm not defending Trump. Never liked him, never will.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 02:38

@Felter, normally I wouldn't be posting stuffs about other state, but I'm gonna do a bit of PSA today just to allay your concern of the well being of New Yorkers.

- 4 temporary hospitals will be built in New York with the work starting immediately. They are built by the US army with the Federal footing the bill through FEMA fund.
- The governor today requested an additional 4 field hospitals on top of the 4 temporary one. Together with the Compassion once deployed, it'll give the state an addition 4000-5000 in term of capacity.
- 2mil N95 masks are being purchased and delivery to the state, this is the stuff that was claimed gonna run out in 10 days yesterday.
- Production also being ramped up, apparel companies are being converted to produce medical supply now.
- With the Federal Approved Emergency - again, the one that you were mocking as "Trump think money is the answer" - the federal government now footing 75% of the cost of the response. In fact today the governor asked for more, 100% covering instead of 75-25 split.

And just in case whatever sensational news source gonna twist this into something "it took yesterday declaration for Trump to drag his feet to do something!" because I know they will. I'll just preemptively say that most of the things I just stated isn't a panic/knee jerk response to yesterday headline. For example the plans for the 4 temporary hospitals already been in motion for weeks, with the state officials touring dozen of prospective sites with the army engineering corp last week.

And where is my source? Not from any news station, it's straight from the governor office. If you truly and genuinely care about the situation and simply wish to stay informed on fact, not fiction, I would suggest you to do the same :)

This is the quote at the end of the latest briefing:
This is a public health crisis, but worse than the virus is the fear, but we have a plan and we are doing everything we can to keep the people informed and save lives.
So at the very least, please do your part of not spreading the fear. Or at the very least if you can't help it, then try to objectively balance with fact that also can give people hope, a lot of people desperately need that right now.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:24

Trump is fretting over the US economy, saying that he wants to reopen businesses soon. but considering that the number of confirmed cases is now over 46k, it could very easy becoming the next hotspot.

He also been blurting out that the US isn't a country that shuts down. But if Trump does go against the advice of experts on this. Then again, expect the number of cases to sky rocket.

Trump really doesn't have a good handle on this. He clearly not focused on lives, but his profit margins. But saying that this will be all over in a couple of weeks, is clearly sending the wrong message. He may very well end up putting more lives at risk. What a fool he is.

Meanwhile in the UK, even more restrictions have now come into force. Many businesses are now shut, and eve tighter restrictions on travel and going out. At least the government here are starting to do the right thing, even though, it has taken them a while to do the right thing.

We are still no end in sight. We have a a rough few months ahead or more.
=

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 13:35

We got sent home. Working from home now. Thankfully, though we can't actually work... we are going to be paid to research into techs to improve applications. Unfortunately, it means producing reports and demos, so wasn't quite what I imagined when I'd gone .. 'oh, we're going to "work" from home - goody'.

Oh well :D

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 16:58

We got issued sanitiser gel two days ago, no gloves or masks yet. For train drivers is okish, but for the staff in stations it is not really good.

And we manage to royally mess things up, from 30 trains per hour at peak, we are running a timetable of 10 trains per hour. So in some stations/lines there has been overcrowding due to waiting times. Seems that there was not much thought on contingency plans apart from moving from weekday timetable (busiest) to Saturday timetable (still busy but no rush of commuters) and if needed Sunday timetable (later start of services and earlier finish).

Last few days we have been winging it, we still turn up with the shift rotation we have for the whole year, book on and wait to get assigned a train. It does not help that the amount of staff going in isolation has snowballed, most with symptoms, some for previous conditions, a few because they do not see a safe working environment and the odd one taking advantage of "extra holidays". So instead of many cancellations thus creating gaps in the service, the company has decided to overbook drivers so they can run a steady service.

We are in a strange situation because creating a timetable is fairly easy, the hard thing is allocating people to that timetable, for example in my line, train drivers are in 4 different locations, trainyards are in 5 locations. Anyway we need to increase the frequency because there are a lot more key workers than anticipated.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 24. Mar 20, 23:44

Not going good for New York (I take it, it's the state they are talking about not the city) at all now, they are reporting that they have over 25,000 confirmed case of Covid-19 and at least 210 deaths and they are still complaining that they are not getting the supplies that they urgently need, they are begging for more help and they need it right now.

So if you use the numbers they are giving, that now means new York has more than 5% of all the confirmed cases on the planet, I can't be exact as numbers change, but currently there is 417,698 confirmed cases world wide (John Hopkins) and with New York having 25,000 confirmed cases (BBC) that works out at around 5.98518546893% so they are now up to nearer 6% of all the world cases in New York. They were sent just 400 ventilators by the federal government meaning they now have 7,000 in total but they say they are in need of 30,000, meaning they are short by 23,000 who gets one and who doesn't and it is only going to get worse.

Guys I'm not making these number up they are the numbers that we are being supplied with by numerous different people and places, I have to believe what these people are saying as they are the top officials it is not in their best interest to lie about these things. I don not understand Donald Trump with all that is going on the only thing he is concerned about is money, he doesn't give a damn about the American people, they are only a means to an end, and that end is making him rich. I wish I was making these numbers up but I'm not and these facts are out there they are not hard to find.

On a side note away from the US The guy in charge of Brazil makes trump look like a genius he is saying ignore it it's just a mild flu that is going around while one of his main advisors said that it was all a hoax and that no one had died, I shit you not.

Meanwhile there is another country and I can't for the life of me remember who it is. Anyway this countries leader is a devout Christian and he refuses to shut churches and religious building, as these are the only places that can save you, that you need to go to church and let Jesus Christ burn the virus from you body. Meanwhile at least 50 Priests have died in Italy, you know something tells me they went to church recently and it didn't help them.

How do these people get voted to lead a country, they are insane.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:17

felter wrote:
Tue, 24. Mar 20, 23:44
They were sent just 400 ventilators by the federal government meaning they now have 7,000 in total but they say they are in need of 30,000, meaning they are short by 23,000 who gets one and who doesn't and it is only going to get worse.
Just to give this piece of information a bit more context:

- 30,000 is not what NY said it gonna need NOW or people gonna die tomorrow. It bases off a new projection about the new speed of the spread, and 30,000 is the number expected in 15 days out.
- 400 was what delivered yesterday (Monday), an additional 2000 is being sent today, with another 2000 being sent tomorrow from the army reserve.
- That 7,000 is not what New York have in total, they already have 3000->4000. That 7,000 is what they procured in addition. So that made around 10-11k unit.
- Meaning, so far by tomorrow, with 14 days left on the new projected peaked, NY will have about ~15k unit, which projected to help the state to cope to around early April if the current spread model hold.

And I'm sure more will be done, as it's so far demonstrated, things are being done everyday. Several auto-manufacture in the US are now in the process of converting their production line to making ventilator, once they start producing new units it will help improve the situation. But as of now, New York situation can still be supplied enough to stay afloat for at least another week until more can be done.

Wishful thinking: hopefully things will improve soon for New York. Italy reported a 2nd day straight drop today, so hopefully the measures they had in placed start working now. As we know the thing with these measure is they don't show immediate effect, like you don't lock down tonight and expect new case drop tomorrow morning. NY was one of the first state that got hit and also one of the first that enforced hard lock down measure on its population, the timeline is about right in the cycle for those measure to work soon, if they work at all. Again, wishful thinking on my part. But it's prudent for the state officials to prepare for the worst, and I hope Federal will continue to support them.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:55

Yeah the car boys over hear are making those things too, also the F1 teams are also making them seeing as they are not racing and also have the facilities to do so.

America is slowly catching up with Italy, yesterday it was a gap of around 20K, today it's down to around 16K. At least the one good news is that you don't have the same mortality rate as either the Spanish or Italians, long may that last but it could change in the blink of an eye.

Scary times and there are still idiots out there that are not taking it serious, I partially blame that on the press, mainly because every time someone dies they say name so and so and age so and so with underlying health conditions. So you have all of these idiots that are going, I'm not that old and I don't have health issues, so I'm okay why do I have to isolate myself, let the old folks with health issues do that and let me do what I want.

One thing I've not had a car racing around the town tonight, with their deafeningly loud exhaust and screeching of tyres, a first in a long time. Peace and quiet a bliss, shame so many people have to be ill and dying for that to happen.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 05:20

felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:55
Scary times and there are still idiots out there that are not taking it serious, I partially blame that on the press, mainly because every time someone dies they say name so and so and age so and so with underlying health conditions. So you have all of these idiots that are going, I'm not that old and I don't have health issues, so I'm okay why do I have to isolate myself, let the old folks with health issues do that and let me do what I want.
Well we're in agreement there in term of people not taking this seriously. Difference is I don't really feel like to point the blame on anyone else, be it government or the media rather than just human nature hubris. Denver went into lock down as of 5pm today, and will last to at least April 10. The mayor said one of the reason is how un-impressed he was with our parks packed full over the weekend with people playing volley ball and basket balls despite the governor advise of social distancing. So people don't listen to 'advise', so here the hard lockdown. The mayor also reminded us that being the state capital we're not on responsible to take care of ourselves, but also the people in the surround suburb, and that's why we're moving ahead of the state in this stay-at-home order.

Look across the US, from Florida beach to Hawaii to California, pretty much the same narrative. I had seen people on the net blame this behavior on our leadership, or on American sense of exceptionalism as for why Americans not taking this serious, ... but then you look to other countries like Australia (I heard their PM raged over how pack the beach around Sydney were), then I saw those caravan of people going to mountain range in the UK ... But I think the most telling one is from Italy. Apparently there are enough people try to break or get around the quarantine that the majors/governors in several hard hitting regions decided to take it to social media to rant, berate, and beg for people to comply. Here are a few clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5H1IV2By0

Here is another one, same content but had some different part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtGJsnLgSc

And I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogS6dIe2t4

He looks like he hasn't slept for days. :|

In a better time these vids can be seen as funny, and I imagine the internet will turn them into meme one day once things get better.
Last edited by Mightysword on Wed, 25. Mar 20, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 08:38

So the deal is done ... mostly. The only thing that can stop it is if the House of Representative decide to throw a wrench into it which I don't think they will, since it will almost certain amount to political suicide seeing how it has bipartisan agreement in the Senate with the WH signing on. Plus how desperate virtually everyone one outside of WA want this to happen.

Just to put it in perspective: 2trillion - or 1/10 of the size of the US economy. This just got announced right before I go to bed so detail are still scant, but the short summary/break down is this:

- 250b in direct payment: every America earning less than $75000 a year got a check for 1200 each + 500 per child. Note even if you still have a job, you still gonna receive this.

- 350b in small business aid: main purpose of this is to help business continue making payroll when their workers are forced to stay home instead of firing them.

- 250b in insurance benefit: this help the state paying benefit for people who lost their jobs. Basically if you're unemployed, you'll receive whatever amount the state set for unemployment benefit + $600 a week on top of that. This will also covered self-employed and gig workers, which will be a first. Also this benefit is set to run for 4 months. So ... when it was said this is "unemployment insurance on steroids" ... if the detail release so far is accurate ... then it's truly is.

- 500b for industrial companies: the main contentious point that stalled this bill for the last 2 days. Apparently now there will be a new office of oversight to watch this money. Additionally no entity related to any member of the federal government will be allowed to access this fund.

- The remaining of fund are split into money injection for hospitals that heavily involves in treating the epidemic, relief fund for states that need money, and injection into FEMA.

DISCLAIMER: I had tried to cross check multiple sources to make sure the # are as accurate as possible in good faith. However detail are still scant and I'm doing this at 1:30am. Thing might chance as more detail come out in the days ahead.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 10:39

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 23121.html

Just boggles the mind really. While the number of confirmed cases are still raising rapidly, and the death toll is also raising. He wants to reopen most of the US by Easter. He living in cloud cuckoo land. the US hasn't reached the peak yet. And he thinks that US is winning the fight? If he does that, then expect the number of confirmed cases to raise even more. Seriously, what a buffoon.

The quicker he gets booted out of office the better. as Trump has lost his mind.
=

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 11:01

matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 10:39

Just boggles the mind really. While the number of confirmed cases are still raising rapidly, and the death toll is also raising. He wants to reopen most of the US by Easter. He living in cloud cuckoo land. the US hasn't reached the peak yet. And he thinks that US is winning the fight? If he does that, then expect the number of confirmed cases to raise even more. Seriously, what a buffoon.

The quicker he gets booted out of office the better. as Trump has lost his mind.
Because Trump always acts out what he says, rather than changing it days later and denying, right? Yes, boggles the mind. No, don't for one second think he's going to force it to happen. It'll change as time passes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 11:19

Hmm, I just had an e-mail from my AntiVirus Internet Security provider telling me to be really careful about my using my personal details when using the internet while having a coffee in WiFi Cafes. I wonder if they've heard about the other virus going around and what is happening just now?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 13:54

Mightysword wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 05:20
felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 02:55
Well we're in agreement there in term of people not taking this seriously. Difference is I don't really feel like to point the blame on anyone else, be it government or the media rather than just human nature hubris. Denver went into lock down as of 5pm today, and will last to at least April 10. The mayor said one of the reason is how un-impressed he was with our parks packed full over the weekend with people playing volley ball and basket balls despite the governor advise of social distancing. So people don't listen to 'advise', so here the hard lockdown. The mayor also reminded us that being the state capital we're not on responsible to take care of ourselves, but also the people in the surround suburb, and that's why we're moving ahead of the state in this stay-at-home order.

Look across the US, from Florida beach to Hawaii to California, pretty much the same narrative. I had seen people on the net blame this behavior on our leadership, or on American sense of exceptionalism as for why Americans not taking this serious, ... but then you look to other countries like Australia (I heard their PM raged over how pack the beach around Sydney were), then I saw those caravan of people going to mountain range in the UK ... But I think the most telling one is from Italy. Apparently there are enough people try to break or get around the quarantine that the majors/governors in several hard hitting regions decided to take it to social media to rant, berate, and beg for people to comply. Here are a few clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx5H1IV2By0

Here is another one, same content but had some different part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxtGJsnLgSc

And I like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogS6dIe2t4

He looks like he hasn't slept for days. :|

In a better time these vids can be seen as funny, and I imagine the internet will turn them into meme one day once things get better.
Yeah great videos, but all of those people they are moaning about, what is the reasoning they are giving that it's okay for them to be out and about, it's because they say I'm not old and or I don't have an underlying health condition so I'll be okay. Just where do you think they got that idea from, where do you think the idea that you will be okay if you're not old and have health issues, it's because the press keeps on mentioning it every damn time they mention a new death, they always have underlying health issues and they always mention it. The press may not be responsible for peoples stupidity but they are responsible for stupid reporting, they need to stop with the they died but they had underlying health issues to start with, it makes it look like it is okay and it won't infect you if you are healthy.

Same with Trump, he needs to stop gaslighting over this, he is giving a false image that everything is okay and that people will be safe and that it will all be over in a few weeks, it won't. It is just going to get worse in America, a lot worse. Right now they are not dying in massive numbers but lets be honest, that is probably going to change over the next week or so. I'll also say there will be numerous deaths because of the lack of equipment, doesn't matter who is making them as they can only make so much in a short time. Another problem that I expect will arise, is at some point America will run out of one resource or another and you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if that is due to a certain trade war.

It's funny on those videos they mentioned two things a lot, dog walkers and runners and I have to agree. I have seen two kids walking dogs today, I don't know when I last saw a kid walking a dog past my house, let alone the amount of runners that are going past, we normally get a few but it's like every time you look out the window, someone runs past. Also visitors, one of my neighbours is getting visitors, it's crazy she is not a young pup. I ain't even allowing my sister to come into the house.

I have to say my sis she is great, she is doing all the running around for us, if we need shopping she does that. If we need meds collected, she does that, but she does not come into the house, she doesn't socially interact with us in person. If she has something to give us, she'll leave it at the door and phone us to tell us it's there. It must be pretty hard for her, for years she has come to my house for her dinner 6 nights a week, now she doesn't come at all, she doesn't have a television, she watched television in my house, she doesn't have a land line or internet connection guess what, if she need that she used mines, now she has none of it. I suppose she could always sit outside in her car and use my internet that way. :roll:

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 14:34

felter wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 13:54
Same with Trump, he needs to stop gaslighting over this, he is giving a false image that everything is okay and that people will be safe and that it will all be over in a few weeks, it won't. It is just going to get worse in America, a lot worse. Right now they are not dying in massive numbers but lets be honest, that is probably going to change over the next week or so. I'll also say there will be numerous deaths because of the lack of equipment, doesn't matter who is making them as they can only make so much in a short time. Another problem that I expect will arise, is at some point America will run out of one resource or another and you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if that is due to a certain trade war.
Considering that the US is catching up to Italy, heck it did jump quite a bit from a few days ago. So yes, If Trumps keeps saying its "alright jack" and people keep believing him, then people will continue to spread the virus.

I have heard that car manufacturers and Formula 1 teams are starting to make ventilators. How quickly they can mass produce them is another matter. (and who will ultimately gets them is unclear, I think this was in the US, but not certain.

The problem with Trump is, he desperate to get on the road again, so he can organise campaign rallies, plus of course the shut down will hurt his businesses and sponsors. Which is why I think he wants to get things moving.

But yes, this Trade war with china won't help matters.

But yes, the rate people are getting infected in the US will only continue to raise. US hasn't hit the peak yet, and still probably be a while before it does so. If the world enters another depression / recession, so be it, Trump should be looking out for the little people, and right now he now where near looking at them. He just looking at keeping the dollar strong and money flowing in his pockets.
=

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:06

felter wrote:
Yeah great videos, but all of those people they are moaning about, what is the reasoning they are giving that it's okay for them to be out and about, it's because they say I'm not old and or I don't have an underlying health condition so I'll be okay. Just where do you think they got that idea from, where do you think the idea that you will be okay if you're not old and have health issues, it's because the press keeps on mentioning it every damn time they mention a new death, they always have underlying health issues and they always mention it.
Actually, the most recent news I saw said that a 21-year-old with *no* underlying health condition died of the virus a couple of days ago...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:20

Yeah, I saw that death too, and it churned me up far worse than I could've expected. When someone young dies, it's not just the person, but all the lives they'll no longer influence, the potential kids and grandkids ad infinitum that will never be born. I hope as a species we reappraise our priorities henceforth. - The pursuit of personal wealth is a very, very strong motivator. - And now we can see what happens when you let a businessman with self-interests make decisions / give advice during a pandemic such as this.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:24

Chips wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 11:01
matthewfarmery wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 10:39

Because Trump always acts out what he says, rather than changing it days later and denying, right? Yes, boggles the mind. No, don't for one second think he's going to force it to happen. It'll change as time passes.
Assuming that even matter. Tbh I'm not sure what the Federal restrain order (the one that Trump says he wants to lift) are doing anything, seeing local states and municipals had enforced their own much stricter measures. For example, Denver's mayor stay-at-home order that close all non-essential business superseded the Colorado governor order of 50% staff reduction, which itself superseded the Federal social distancing order. And like you said, it'll change per situation demand, even Trump himself said as much. With the bill passed today the US had addressed the majority # of concern that people was worried about just less than a months ago when the hysteria seemed to assume nothing would be done and people gonna be doomed. And more will be done, the situation is fluid changing day by day, it's best to remain informed and also hopeful.

Also before this crisis isn't the common narrative is that Trump is an idiot that nobody listen to? So how is it everyone trying to make it sound like people treat his words as gospel now? It's always tout students and young adult are the most anti-Trump demographic and age group among the electorate, if there are people who will absolutely refuse listen to him that will be them ... remind me who are flooding the beach after spring break started again? Is that Trump's fault as well? And like I asked what about countries that don't have Trump? Not like their citizens are behaving any less callously. I'm not defending Trump. Trump sucks, I get it, but that doesn't mean everything is his fault. This is more of a human being human and to a deeper extend, a cultural difference between East and West.
pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 25. Mar 20, 16:06
felter wrote:
Yeah great videos, but all of those people they are moaning about, what is the reasoning they are giving that it's okay for them to be out and about, it's because they say I'm not old and or I don't have an underlying health condition so I'll be okay. Just where do you think they got that idea from, where do you think the idea that you will be okay if you're not old and have health issues, it's because the press keeps on mentioning it every damn time they mention a new death, they always have underlying health issues and they always mention it.
Actually, the most recent news I saw said that a 21-year-old with *no* underlying health condition died of the virus a couple of days ago...
And that's not the only case either. I think people over 60 just constituted the majority (think 60-70% ?) but that still mean 30-40% of casualty outside of that group, and it;s not like those statistic is hidden in various reports. Meaning young people are still pretty much playing Russian roulette with their live, abeit with a better chance. But what get me is even if they're confident about their own health, they mostly don't consider the fact they can be come a host. I bet most of them know at least one or two people above 60!. :shock:

Blame the media if you want - and this is from someone who have the media on his shit-list - but this is not the media, this is just people being selfish and irresponsible. If living in Italy still somehow couldn't make someone to take this seriously, I doubt there is anything else will.

(You here not directed at anyone specifically, just a general way of speaking).

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 25. Mar 20, 17:55

The point is it shouldn't matter if they have an underlying condition or not, dead is dead no matter what their circumstances are. If they have died from the virus then that is that matters. Just because there is a single case being mentioned amongst the hundreds, doesn't make it the responsible or justifiable thing to do they are still dead and the idiots are still using it as an excuse. Don't believe me, read some of the comments that are being left on the BBC about having to self isolate, there was one there earlier that was saying I'm not over 50 why should I have to isolate. All they see is that it is old people or people with health issues that are dying and they don't care as that is not them. They just don't get it that if they fall ill and end up on a respirator, that's one less respirator they have for someone else. They don't get it that they have the virus they spread it to others who then end up in hospital taking up more beds than they have. All they see is that it is effecting the old and those with health issues and that is not them, so it doesn't effect them.

The press are not helping by reporting a 54 year old with underlying health issues dies, 18 year old the youngest known in the UK dies, he had underlying health issues to start with, it doesn't matter if they had underlying health issues they are still dead form the virus and the chances are the person who passed it on to them are still alive and kicking, without underlying health issues. So far 434 people have died from Covid-19 in the UK and out of that 434 numerous people have been mentioned in the press and they all state they had underlying health issues apart from 1 single 21 year old girl. Honestly you think that is an okay message to send out, I hadn't even heard of that 21 year old till now, I had heard about the 102 year old and the 18 year old, plus the many others that were either old or had underlying health issues or even both.

Sorry guys, I'm ranting here, I'm just pissed off that people are not taking this seriously and are moaning about being cooped up for a few weeks. meanwhile I'm cooped up for least 3 moths plus the month I've already done. The only time I will get out is to go to the hospital, where I will probably go and catch something from one of the many idiots that are not taking this seriously and die a week later because there are no hospital beds or respirators because they are full and being used by the idiots.

Return to “Off Topic English”