[MOD] FTL: Rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X Rebirth.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Clownmug
x4

[MOD] FTL: Rebirth

Post by Clownmug » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 08:11

Hi all,

I’m trying to stay in practice for when X4 is released so I've been playing around with this experimental campaign mod which I had started years ago. If MD scripting remains mostly the same, I'm hoping parts of this mod can be reused to create some kind of procedural universe mod for X4. Anyways, please enjoy whatever this silly thing is supposed to be. Also feel free to point out any bugs since there are probably a ton in my spaghetti code. :P

Summary:

The main goal of this campaign is to reach the final sector and defeat the Rebel Flagship. You will need to earn credits along the way in order to upgrade your ship and build a fleet strong enough for the final battle. Events that you encounter in each zone will help in earning credits and many other rewards. The difficulty of events will gradually increase as you progress to later sectors offering new challenges and better rewards.

Navigation:

Zones in the FTL: Rebirth campaign represent different star systems and cannot be reached by normal means. To travel to another zone you must instead perform an FTL jump via “Plot Course” on the map. Zones that are within jump range are indicated by a jump beacon icon. When you finally reach the exit zone of a sector you gain the ability to jump to one or more nearby sectors.

From the start of the campaign you will have 10 fuel to use for an FTL jump. Each jump you perform consumes exactly 1 “Fuel”. You can earn more fuel by completing events, trading with a Ship Technician, or collecting dropped cargo from destroyed ships. If you run out of fuel you’ll be given the option to activate a distress beacon when you attempt to use “Plot Course”.

Other small/medium ships can also perform FTL jumps but do not consume fuel. Capital ships use jumpdrives and fuel cells as they normally would in X: Rebirth. The ships that you own are only allowed jump to zones that have already been visited. This rule doesn’t apply to your capital ships though if you use “Plot Course” while docked at them.

Rebel Fleet:

Each time you jump between zones the Rebel faction will gradually gain control of the sector. If you travel through a nebula zone the Rebel control creep is slightly less. In an uncharted sector the nebula zones do not reduce control creep as much as regular nebulas. If a zone is controlled by the Rebel faction you will encounter an enemy patrol rather than a regular event. Once you leave a sector it will become fully controlled by the Rebel faction and any of your ships that stay behind will be harassed by enemy patrols.

Upgrading:

In FTL: Rebirth there are “Store” zones where you will find most of the services needed for upgrades. This includes a shipyard and fuel cell station, ship technician to purchase fuel, mechanic, arms dealer, drone dealer, and recruitment officer to upgrade the Skunk. Mechanics offer the full range of engine and shield upgrades and random set of weapons depending on game progress.

There are some Skunk upgrades that have additional perks beyond their normal purpose in X: Rebirth. If you’re in a battle the level of your engine determines the amount of time needed to recharge before jumping. The advanced scanner can reveal map information about zones within jump range and the police scanner can reveal the entire sector.

Most hireable npcs can only be found from a store zone. Pilots, managers and architects can be found on any station. In FTL: Rebirth each species has a specialized skill that can make them more adept at certain professions. There are also bonuses for certain profession based on their skill. A captain’s navigation skill affects how soon they can jump while you’re on-board their ship and the combat skill of defense officers can provide a bonus that makes their ship regenerate shields faster.

Tips:

- Stations still offer a few vanilla missions if you need extra credits
- Becoming an ally of the Teladi and Split factions can help in the final battle
- Having a security decryption device on hand can be useful for some events
- Gas mining ships can collect any gas from a nebula zone
- Mineral mining ships can collect any mineral from an asteroid zone
- Some events have better rewards if you board a ship rather than killing it

Required DLC - Teladi Outpost + Home of Light

Video: FTL: Rebirth Teaser
Download: FTL: Rebirth 1.04
Last edited by Clownmug on Fri, 15. May 20, 14:31, edited 5 times in total.

Clownmug
x4

Re: [MOD] FTL: Rebirth

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 26. Nov 19, 20:35

So, does anyone have some feedback?

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Sun, 8. Dec 19, 18:30

Hmmm, i never did see this mod, but I will give it a try in the up coming holidays.
Looks really promising. Even with a very bad start, and many bad reviews and talks about X-rebirth, I still follow the game, and keep watching this forum.
I have all X games, but I think XR with some mods is still a good game to play in these days.
Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to keep it for themselves (Aaron Swartz you will live forever)

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 10. Dec 19, 00:01

Informer wrote:
Sun, 8. Dec 19, 18:30
Hmmm, i never did see this mod, but I will give it a try in the up coming holidays.
Looks really promising. Even with a very bad start, and many bad reviews and talks about X-rebirth, I still follow the game, and keep watching this forum.
I have all X games, but I think XR with some mods is still a good game to play in these days.
Yeah, X:R with mods has tons of replayability.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 10. Dec 19, 10:33

I think showing some screenshots or a video summary is always a good kicker for people to try such a mod.
I loved FTL, so its a nice combination to get this game into a more hands on experience.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Wed, 11. Dec 19, 13:59

linolafett wrote:
Tue, 10. Dec 19, 10:33
I think showing some screenshots or a video summary is always a good kicker for people to try such a mod.
I loved FTL, so its a nice combination to get this game into a more hands on experience.
Hmm, I'm not sure how I can showcase the mod with screenshots, but I'll try coming up with a video at least. Thanks for the tip.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Mon, 30. Dec 19, 03:59

Ok, I have a video link up in the first post now. Hope that helps show a little about the mod.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sun, 26. Jan 20, 03:11

This sounds really cool! I will try to play it if I can. I love both XR and FTL. XR deserves more attention so thanks!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 21:27

tomchk wrote:
Sun, 26. Jan 20, 03:11
This sounds really cool! I will try to play it if I can. I love both XR and FTL. XR deserves more attention so thanks!
Thanks, hope you enjoy it.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 18:20

I've tried it a bit and it was pretty cool! I need to read the directions more as I was confused about where to go from the right side of the map. My other question was whether the mod changes how the cockpit looks (mainly lighting) or if that was just my system. I haven't played XR on this system.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 4. Feb 20, 22:38

tomchk wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 18:20
I've tried it a bit and it was pretty cool! I need to read the directions more as I was confused about where to go from the right side of the map.
If the main mission is active it should highlight the zone you need to go to on the sector map, also it has "(Exit)" appended to the zone's name. When you reach that zone the mission objective should change to which sector(s) you can jump to. Open the system map and you'll see the sector(s) highlighted, click a sector's name on the right side to open their map where you can plot course to the highlighted "(Entrance)" zone.
tomchk wrote:
My other question was whether the mod changes how the cockpit looks (mainly lighting) or if that was just my system. I haven't played XR on this system.
The lighting isn't changed in the cockpit itself but some of the star system backgrounds have varying sunlight. I'm not sure how to tweak that properly if it doesn't look right. I've had people mention something wrong with lighting in my other mods with custom backgrounds but it always looks fine on my end.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Sun, 1. Mar 20, 10:26

Very interesting mod concept that might even make me re-install X-Rebirth (which I never really played).

A few questions:

- how big is your mod in terms of scope? (How many sectors, how long for an average playthrough)?
- how is the replay value (I assume the map is static, but are the events and enemies random)?
- would you consider to port this to X4? :D

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 19:42

Newinger wrote:
Sun, 1. Mar 20, 10:26
- how big is your mod in terms of scope? (How many sectors, how long for an average playthrough)?
Kind of hard to describe the scope since the sectors aren't like the ones in the normal X universe. For this mod they're treated as different parts of the galaxy with their zones representing various star systems. To complete the campaign you'll make a path through 8 sectors and spend about one or two minutes per zone to complete events. Each sector will probably take 12-15 minutes, so with that in mind an average playthrough to reach the final sector and complete the "Last Stand" battle will probably take about 2 hours.
Newinger wrote:
- how is the replay value (I assume the map is static, but are the events and enemies random)?
The map is actually random. There are different layouts for the sectors and they all have a random assortment of zones within them. Events are random with enemies usually consisting of pirates, xenon or rebels depending on the type of sector.
Newinger wrote:
- would you consider to port this to X4? :D
I've thought about it, not sure if some of the tricks to generate the map will still work with X4's UI.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 19:59

Clownmug wrote:
Tue, 4. Feb 20, 22:38
tomchk wrote:
My other question was whether the mod changes how the cockpit looks (mainly lighting) or if that was just my system. I haven't played XR on this system.
The lighting isn't changed in the cockpit itself but some of the star system backgrounds have varying sunlight. I'm not sure how to tweak that properly if it doesn't look right. I've had people mention something wrong with lighting in my other mods with custom backgrounds but it always looks fine on my end.
Yeah it's definitely causing lighting issues for me. Are there certain lines I can delete to remove the lighting changes? Thanks!

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Mon, 2. Mar 20, 21:02

Thank you for the information!
Clownmug wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 19:42
The map is actually random. There are different layouts for the sectors and they all have a random assortment of zones within them. Events are random with enemies usually consisting of pirates, xenon or rebels depending on the type of sector.
Sounds good to me -- about 2 hours of playtime, but with lots of replayability could create a nice afterwork gaming session.

Thanks, will download your mod and install Rebirth for it.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Tue, 3. Mar 20, 00:05

tomchk wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 19:59
Clownmug wrote:
tomchk wrote:
Yeah it's definitely causing lighting issues for me. Are there certain lines I can delete to remove the lighting changes? Thanks!
Well in the folder "assets/environment/cluster" there are some background files you could edit. Under the "lights" section you can adjust the numbers for intensity to see if it makes a difference.
Newinger wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 21:02
Thank you for the information!
Clownmug wrote:
Mon, 2. Mar 20, 19:42
Sounds good to me -- about 2 hours of playtime, but with lots of replayability could create a nice afterwork gaming session.

Thanks, will download your mod and install Rebirth for it.
Alright, hope you enjoy it. :D

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 7. May 20, 15:54

Clownmug wrote:
Tue, 3. Mar 20, 00:05
tomchk wrote:
Clownmug wrote:

Well in the folder "assets/environment/cluster" there are some background files you could edit. Under the "lights" section you can adjust the numbers for intensity to see if it makes a difference.
Is there a way for me to make the lighting exactly the same as the vanilla game, in hopes that'll fix this? I never had this problem with XR and would love to play your mod more!

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Thu, 7. May 20, 16:44

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 15:54
Clownmug wrote:
Tue, 3. Mar 20, 00:05
tomchk wrote:
Is there a way for me to make the lighting exactly the same as the vanilla game, in hopes that'll fix this? I never had this problem with XR and would love to play your mod more!
Most of the backgrounds should already be close to default intensity, but I'll check again when I get a chance.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 7. May 20, 17:06

Clownmug wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 16:44
Most of the backgrounds should already be close to default intensity, but I'll check again when I get a chance.
Much appreciated, thanks!

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 15. May 20, 01:44

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 17:06
Clownmug wrote:
Thu, 7. May 20, 16:44
Much appreciated, thanks!
Ok, I've uploaded a new version with more consistent lighting (basically just copy/pasted lights from Omicron Lyrae :P )

Return to “X Rebirth - Scripts and Modding”