[2.60] Turret group Turrets not modifiable - Fix in 3.0 b4.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

TheStaplergun

[2.60] Turret group Turrets not modifiable - Fix in 3.0 b4.

Post by TheStaplergun » Sat, 30. Nov 19, 23:37

You cannot actually modify the turrets on any ships that utilize “Turret Groups” that include a shield. The shield (even when there isn’t one in the slot), overrides the whole thing.

The Behemoth is a good example of where you cannot modify the turrets, whereas a Minotaur can be modified since there are no turret groups that contain shields.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [2.60] Turret group Turrets not modifiable

Post by CBJ » Sat, 30. Nov 19, 23:59

Yes, that's how the game works.

TheStaplergun

Post by TheStaplergun » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 00:12

Uh, what. That doesn’t make any sense. Why?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 01:50

Because grouped turrets can't be managed individually, but weapon modifications have to be applied to individual turrets. If you applied a modification to one turret in a group and then changed the group settings, the turrets would be rearranged and the modification would be lost.

TheStaplergun

Post by TheStaplergun » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 02:23

Why can’t it be handled the same way as the engines? You can alter the engines separate from the engine shields. Apply it to the group and then if you want to alter the turrets in the group, you have to remove the mod. It’s not like you can pick two different turrets in the same group.

It just doesn’t really make sense and seems like it could actually be handled based on existing logic for other sections.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 10:59

Coz there can be like 10 turrets in a group ( not in vanilla for now, but maybe future), so having one mod applying to all of them is cheaty.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 13:50

There are technical reasons, too, for the limitation, but TheStaplergun has given me an idea...

TheStaplergun

Post by TheStaplergun » Sun, 1. Dec 19, 16:05

I really hope the idea allows for something of the sort. The large and extra large ships heavily rely on turrets and it would be amazing to be able to really dig down and specialize them.

I’d even pay multiples of the price to modify an entire turret group. IE: you need two basic weapon modification items for a group with two turrets. To modify the group turrets you have to remove the turret modification set from the group. Etc.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [2.60] Turret group Turrets not modifiable - Devs considering.

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 2. Dec 19, 05:49

TheStaplergun wrote:
Sun, 1. Dec 19, 02:23
Why can’t it be handled the same way as the engines? You can alter the engines separate from the engine shields. Apply it to the group and then if you want to alter the turrets in the group, you have to remove the mod. It’s not like you can pick two different turrets in the same group.
I suggested this like half a year ago and it was shot down sadly. However seeing a developer respond to it positively now does fill me with hope.

If paying multiple price to apply the mod then refund has to be multiple as well. Currently the rare components get refunded 1:1 during disassembly while only the common generic components are lost.

TheStaplergun

Post by TheStaplergun » Mon, 2. Dec 19, 17:40

Yeah. That’s fine, I’m just saying that if you have more than one turret in a group the cost of materials needs to be multiplied.

I’d just be super happy if they do manage to make the logic the same as it is with engines as far as splitting the two things instead of shields doing a full override.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. Dec 19, 17:51

Can you explain what you mean by shields "overriding" weapon mods? There is currently no relationship between shields and weapon mod properties. The limitation is simply that grouped turrets can't have weapon mods applied.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 00:49

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Dec 19, 17:51
Can you explain what you mean by shields "overriding" weapon mods? There is currently no relationship between shields and weapon mod properties. The limitation is simply that grouped turrets can't have weapon mods applied.
It is a UI bug where under some conditions the tab for applying mods to turrets lists or selects (I forget the exact details) all the turret bank shield generators as entries rather than the turrets. These can be modified with shield mods, as if from the shield tab, despite being listed in the wrong tab. The expected behaviour for the current approach would be that the turret types are listed as entries which cannot be modified or selected.

This was reported roughly 6 months ago when I made the suggestion. From a quest I was given a L miner which had a turret with a mod applied to it. I wanted to remove the mod so I could change the turret configuration (raise bank turret count from 1 to 2) however I could not do so as modifying turrets is disabled on L and XL ships or selects the turret bank shield generator instead of the turret, even if the turret is already modified.

TheStaplergun

Post by TheStaplergun » Tue, 3. Dec 19, 18:59

Pretty much what Imperial said and stuff I’ve said. Seriously still hope this is going to be implemented.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Mon, 16. Dec 19, 16:56

TheStaplergun wrote:
Tue, 3. Dec 19, 18:59
Seriously still hope this is going to be implemented.
3.0 Beta changelog, with today's update:
[Beta 4] Added option to install weapon mods on turret groups.

TheStaplergun

Re: [2.60] Turret group Turrets not modifiable - Fix in 3.0 b4.

Post by TheStaplergun » Mon, 16. Dec 19, 19:03

Oh man. This is amazing. Best devs! Thanks so much!!!!!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”