Can't Unlock the Teladi Game Start?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

corax
x4

Can't Unlock the Teladi Game Start?

Post by corax » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 13:46

How does one unlock the "Unworthy Entrepreneur" game start?

The Wiki states "Own the HQ" as the (only) unlock condition; other sources I found all over the net say you (also) need to start research, another one suggests you'd have to (also) join a Trade Guild.

I rescued Boso Ta and protected the getaway freighter, I own the HQ, have started research (and finished every option), joined the Teladi and Argon trading guilds and did missions for them, joined a war effort and did missions (as was suggested by the in-game tips), and bought the Teladi Trade Subscription (for a mere 16MCr) on top, from scratch in two different, unmodded games, yet I still don't have an option to start as a Teladi.

Each start took me some 50+ hours to get to that point; I don't want to go through it a third time just to get to the point where I can do it yet another time as a Teladi... at least not without knowing for certain what I'm required to do.

For what it's worth, I'm playing the GOG version 2.50 hotfix 1 on Linux.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Can't Unlock the Teladi Game Start?

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 15:05

This will be a trifle disappointing for you. The Teladi start needs only the PHQ achievement to be gained to unlock it. On GOG you need GOG Galaxy to get achievements registered - and Galaxy is apparently not supported on Linux. :(

You would have the same problem if just playing Windows GOG X4 offline too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 15:33

Is a Linux save different to a Windows one, or could someone else make the start, save and upload?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:05

Achievements and their dependencies only unlock as and when you do the action while online and not from loading a save made after the fact. Hence the OP would always be playing from that one borrowed game and not be able to restart as a Teladi again should they wish to later on.

Apparently this problem is trivial to mod/edit to get past, but I'm unsure that the OP wants to do it that way.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

corax
x4

Post by corax » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:20

Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 15:05
This will be a trifle disappointing for you. The Teladi start needs only the PHQ achievement to be gained to unlock it. On GOG you need GOG Galaxy to get achievements registered - and Galaxy is apparently not supported on Linux. :(

You would have the same problem if just playing Windows GOG X4 offline too.
Thank you for the answer, although I can't say that I like it. Which is not your fault, for certain.

Why are Egosoft trying so hard to make people be online to play what is essentially a single player game (no, "ventures" are not "multiplayer", besides any random number generator could do the job just as well if not better)?

This is information that needs to be in the manual^HWiki at least, and in big, bright red letters. I could just have kept playing without starting over, thinking I surely must have missed something.
It should also be made clear in the GOG game info, because while by the letter it may be – to quote – "DRM FREE. No activation or online connection required to play", it is not in spirit. Yes, as per the words I can play, but no, I can't play every single player aspect I'd like, because some components are not available to everybody, and even if they were, they amount to DRM in my opinion.

I bought the game – twice for that matter to show my support for your Linux support, I even registered it here, and you still treat me like a potential pirate that needs to be monitored online whenever he wants to play.effing.single.player. That's not OK.

I never wanted "achievements" which I couldn't care less for anyway, and I only felt cheated a little because I can't fancypaint my ships without "multiplayer", and now this. I know it's basically as simple as changing a word or two in a text file, so maybe, Egosoft, just maybe, you simply didn't think of that because you were too busy porting your awesome game to Linux? Yes? Next patch? Maybe? Please?

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 15:33
Is a Linux save different to a Windows one, or could someone else make the start, save and upload?
Good thinking, I'm game if you know someone with a Windows save... ;)

EDIT: Come to think of it, it wouldn't even have to be a Windows save, as long as it had the achievement unlocked. Although it feels rather cheap to get a save from someone who doesn't mind being fed DRM.

EDIT 2:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:05
Apparently this problem is trivial to mod/edit to get past, but I'm unsure that the OP wants to do it that way.
Sorry, I missed your reply while I was busy writing up my semi-rant. I know it's trivial to mod, but if I understand correctly, I would have to download a tool to unpack my game data, edit that one line, and repack it again, with the side effect of it being "modded".
I don't care about any of that, but I think it shouldn't be necessary to undergo that kind of a trial just to play what everybody else can play after just an hour or two of regular gameplay.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 18:28

3 Seconds into Teladi start. Enjoy!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnoYsE1M89Yrsk-PZHP ... A?e=ncZJab

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

corax
x4

Post by corax » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 18:56

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 18:28
Enjoy!
Will do, thank you!

EDIT:
Hrmph, or will not. Of course Beta versions are another thing that is only available to Steam users, and Windows users of GOG Galaxy. And "saves from the future" are of course incompatible with X4 from the... present.

Anyway, thanks for trying! Don't even bother with another upload, I'll just bite the bullet and go the modding route. At least that way I'll be able to start from scratch yet another time if need be once 3.0/DLC lands :)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 20:55

Aww shoot! - Look. it's in Beta 4 now, and I doubt the 2.6 public release will be too far away. - I'll be sure to keep an eye out and reupload when it does, but give me a nudge if I don't.

You shall have your start. Patience! LOL

corax
x4

Post by corax » Tue, 22. Oct 19, 17:48

Just updated to 2.6, and decided to start over.
Thank you Gavrushka for your efforts, I found a different route and won't require you to waste any more time on my problem ;)

If one isn't not concerned about the game being "modified", this mod seems to do the trick for me.
It's actually preferable over recycling a save game in several ways: having the whatsitmerchant unlocked means every time you start a new game, the random seed the universe is generated from is different, as opposed to always the same when re-using a previously saved game.
Plus it doesn't feel like I'm ripping off somebody else.

<rant>
It still eludes me why I would have to have an always-connected guardian watch over my single player sandbox "achievements" just to be able to play as a different character.
Besides, I am fully able to create my own goals, thank you, and having them spoon-fed by someone else feels patronising to begin with. Maybe something to consider for your next game design (@every up-and-coming game developer out there).
</rant>

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”