Potentially stupid question re: podcasts

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Bishop149
x3

Potentially stupid question re: podcasts

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 16:50

So I found a podcast I'd like to listen to, it has 80 episodes or so but only the latest 20 or so are showing up in the RSS feed.
I understand that it isn't unusual for creators to limit their RSS feeds in such a manner but most of my chosen ones to date either don't or don't have enough episodes that it matters.
My question is: If I want to start from the beginning (which is the only way this show makes sense), how the hell do I listen to the old episodes on my phone in a way that DOESN'T require a constant connection to the internet?

The podcast has weblinks that go directly to an MP3 of each episodes, which is great.
- My podcast app won't open these, it only accepts RSS feeds
- My browser will, but there appears to be no way of permanently downloading the file. . . it lasts for as long as the browser is open, as soon as you close (or minimise) and reopen it starts the download over, seemingly forgetting it must already have it in a cache somewhere.
- I had a look at the various preinstalled Apple music things (which thus far I've never even touched), thinking they must basically just be an .mp3 player, but of course they are all irrevocably linked to various Apple services and won't allow anything else to be downloaded or played through them.

What the hell do I do? Do I need another 3rd party App? If so which one?
Baiscally I just want to give it a URL, have it download the file it points to so I can listen to it at my leisure offline. Just like my podcast app does from the RSS feeds.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: Potentially stupid question re: podcasts

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 16:57

it may be as simple as downloading .mp4 or .mp3 recordings and add them to a play list. I know i can easily do that with an iphone and use itunes to move the stuff to my phone. If you don't have an iphone, i'm not sure if it would be just as easy, but i would hope that there's the ability to move files to your phone from your pc.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:06

I've been doing some googling and yes it seems that no App would be allowed to do what I want, via Apple's specific design.
Apple doesn't want anyone with one of their phones possibly getting music from anywhere other than iTunes, they presumably don't care that there are uses for .MP3s that aren't proprietary music.
I am a member of a very strange and niche demographic it seems, the one that doesn't give two hoots about music of any kind.

There may be various hacky long winded ways to do it, I'll investigate those.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:15

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/put-non ... 54092.html

Have you tried this? I mean, if there's no DRM on the audio file, itunes won't care and will let you transfer it to your phone. It doesn't have to be "music", not like the phone will know the difference. It just can't have any DRM management.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:20

I'd rather not pollute my computer with iTunes.
I've done so in the past and found it to be
a) Annoyingly invasive
b) Near impossible to get rid of
There are various 3rd party apps for transferring data back and forth between an iPhone and a PC. I'm trying to find one that is both cheap/free and Lite/inoffensive, which is often a tricky balance to strike.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 17:29

You have windows 10? Apple released the UWP version a while back. It doesn't "invade" like the Win32 app does. Download from the MS store instead of Apple's site and you can easily remove it.
rebellionpac.com

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Wed, 9. Oct 19, 18:13

Ah, that's handy to know.
I'll check it out, thanks

Return to “Off Topic English”