[MOD] Crexit - Crystal Mining Rebalance

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Moonrat
x4

[MOD] Crexit - Crystal Mining Rebalance

Post by Moonrat » Fri, 18. Jan 19, 08:14

Compatible with...
  • X4 4.00 Beta 4 (422687) + Split DLC - Last updated: 2020-12-17
Prologue

Insatiable greed, it's always there... it gnaws at your very soul. Don't look away Teladi, I've seen your eyes green with envy!! If only you had more, another million maybe for that new ship, 20 million for the factory of your dreams, enough even to woo that Paranid who gave you the eye last night at the bar no one can find ...

You're a fresh-faced pilot still wet behind the ears (if your species have ears). You climb aboard your shiny new ship and you head straight to the asteroid fields. You see, that morning you woke up having dreamt this great idea to make a million or three faster than all those other bozos with their trading ships, factories and mining fleets. You arrive at your happy hunting grounds with your lasers fired up, your loot bag open and you scan the roids' looking for that twinkle which means easy fortune... then... it dawns on you... you were never the only one with that too good to be true get rich scheme. See all those other ships flying around out there... well they've been there for decades doing exactly what you are thinking and got stinking rich with little or no effort. Guess what? The gold rush is over pilot and now you're going to have to put your head down for longer if you want to make that fortune before bedtime!

There are many gates within the X-Universe but just three gates lead to hell : Anger, Lust and Greed ... well maybe that one in Tharka's Cascade also !!

Description

This mod attempts to re-balance early game crystal mining so that it is no longer an exploit but a more challenging activity. It still contains reasonable rewards whilst retaining the possibility of a lucky find to boost the players' funds. The mod contains the following gameplay changes...
  • Crystal prices adjusted lower
  • Reductions in asteroid bearing crystals but hostile areas contain more to encourage risk taking
  • Reduction in numbers of collectables from mining crystals, but...
  • Collectables are now more varied than before and are influenced by asteroid type and size
  • More varied collectables are also spawned by other miners as well but the frequency is reduced
Installation

Drop the "Crexit" folder into your "Documents" X4 extension folder

Feedback

I have test driven this and feel the balance between difficulty and time vs reward is about right but if folks want a slightly less "hard" version then simply tweak the values accordingly in the "objectspawnrules" file (the values are percentages of crystal occurrence). If you want a really easy version de-install the mod!!

Download

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/271

Change Log

All versions are compatible with previous saves.

Version 1.0
  • Initial release
Version 1.1
  • Crexit is now X4 v3.0 compatible and the extensions folder has been renamed to be Linux compatible
Version 1.2
  • Now includes (post 3.0 Beta 6) "cooldown" rebalancing with new values for safe/hazardous/Xenon regions of space (3.10/Split DLC compatible)
Last edited by Moonrat on Sun, 20. Dec 20, 17:22, edited 13 times in total.
[ external image ]
IEX Download Statistics - LUVi / XRMi ( 3115 / 5415 )
X4 Crexit 324 ; X4 Encounters 3193 (STEAM Unique/Current 6341/3412)

Max Bain
x3ap

Re: [MOD] Crexit - Crystal Mining Rebalance

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 18. Jan 19, 11:14

Hi, sounds great.

I did something similar on my end, but this sounds even better.

Can you give a rough number on how much lower the credits/hour rate is in this mod versus the vanilla game? Is it 50%, 25%, 10%?

I think in safe regions it should be lower than 25% and at best not above maybe 50%.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Fri, 18. Jan 19, 19:54

Believe it or not I'm on a plane to Madrid at the moment...

If you look in the "openspawnrules" file you'll see the percentage values used. As you can see there are 3 pairs for each category with Xenon hostile sectors at the top
I think and friendly non-hostile sectors at the bottom. IIRC the original vanilla values were 50% for the top hostile ones and 25% for the friendly sectors... yes 50%!! So the probability now is about 3x - 4x less spawn rate combined with a reduced crystal drop per asteroid + an adjustment downwards of 2x - 4x in price per crystal type.

On each 30 minute test cystal mine flight I was making usually 50k (200k if I was very very lucky) compared to a ridiculous 3-4 million in vanilla every time. Getting the balance between ease of finding crystals vs drop rate/type vs price per ware was the tricky bit. I also modded the dropped collectable items as well to give a more sensible amount ( and variety) as simply following NPC miners around collecting their detritus also seemed a bit too generous and samey also :)

My only concern is that I may have nerfed it too much... but I don't think it's too far off. Glad to hear any feedback.
[ external image ]

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 17. Nov 19, 11:25

Now compatible with 3.00 Beta 1 (373142) - 2019-11-14

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/271

All bug reports and feedback here please
[ external image ]

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 20. Nov 19, 14:21

I really like this idea and I also have a similar mod running, but not that professional with individual stats for hostile sectors.

But I think 50k for 30 mins of boring work sounds too less to me.
I would let the vanilla prices or lower them just a little bit. If you can make nearly a million per hour in a hostile sector that is OK to me.

But sure I can change your mod on my side :).
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Wed, 20. Nov 19, 19:45

And they say “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"...

As part of ensuring that "Crexit" was X4 compatible I checked the "libraries\wares.xml" file for differences and noticed this change between v2.6 -> v3.0 dropping the prices of the more valuable crystals as per 'Crexit'

inv_crystal_03 min/avg/max 17k/20k/23k -> 12k/15k/17k (~ -27%)
inv_crystal_04 min/avg/max 26k/30k/35k -> 16k/20k/25k (~ -34%)
inv_crystal_05 min/avg/max 200k/250k/300k -> 100k/125k/150k (~ -50%)

There also seems to be an adjustment to the "libraries\objectspawnrules.xml" file so that the frequency of crystal asteroids spawning has been reduced everywhere but less so in hazardous areas... in fact one 'Crexit' rule is now identical to that modified downwards in X4 v3.0...

X4 v3.0 has a form of 'Crexit' but may be not so mean!! :wink:
[ external image ]

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Tue, 24. Dec 19, 11:22

WIth Crexit active some crystals dont spawn crystals at all when shooting them. Blue one for example. Seems to be a hard Crexit :D

Edit: Ok often they dont drop anything, sometimes they drop one crystal. Dont know if thats intended.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 25. Dec 19, 16:30

Will this work in the actual extensions folder where mods belong and not the documents folder? It's too risky and unsafe to use the documents folder, let alone, that means it's not compatible with all systems the game runs on.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 26. Dec 19, 20:11

Max Bain wrote:
Tue, 24. Dec 19, 11:22
WIth Crexit active some crystals dont spawn crystals at all when shooting them. Blue one for example. Seems to be a hard Crexit :D

Edit: Ok often they dont drop anything, sometimes they drop one crystal. Dont know if thats intended.
Yes, very occasionally it's a "hard" Crexit. You're trying to get that valuable crystal out and you accidentally squeeze the laser trigger a little too hard... "Oh.. Boris!!!" you shout seeing that easy fortune explode into a million fragments :D
[ external image ]

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Thu, 26. Dec 19, 20:19

Rastuasi wrote:
Wed, 25. Dec 19, 16:30
Will this work in the actual extensions folder where mods belong and not the documents folder? It's too risky and unsafe to use the documents folder, let alone, that means it's not compatible with all systems the game runs on.
Not sure, but I don't see why it wouldn't work... please try it out and let me know.

UPDATE : I moved my "crexit" folder from "My Documents" to the Steam folders and it still appears to be working :)
[ external image ]

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 23:51

Compatible with 3.10 HF1 Release (394166) (2020-04-16) + Split DLC

I have uploaded a new version to Nexus (v1.2). This new version includes the following changes...
  • Incorporation of crystal "cooldown" modifiers post X4 3.0 Beta 6
  • New values which balance the risk/reward profile of crystal mining within safe/hazardous/zenon regions of space
All bug reports and feedback here please.
[ external image ]

Poacher886
x4

Post by Poacher886 » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 16:33

Ive mentioned the same on the Nexus,

Will this be fine for the coming 4.0 Patch and Cradle of humanity this coming week??

Such an important mod.

Moonrat
x4

Post by Moonrat » Sun, 14. Mar 21, 17:41

I expect that it'll be compatible cos' it's such a simple mod... however, if you see it misbehave please let me know ;)
I do however more worries about the amount of work left on my "Encounters" mod which will no doubt be somewhat behind the curve... :roll:
[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”