X3AP Mass Drivers arent weak?!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redshadus
x3tc

X3AP Mass Drivers arent weak?!

Post by Redshadus » Tue, 25. Dec 18, 12:19

Hey all,

I have been playing X3 for most of my teen years and now for the first time, I am really getting into making a fleet and getting complexes set up.
My question for you is: Why are Mass Drivers so OP when you say they are weak?
I fitted 2 MD's on my Nova Vanguard and with one fly by, almost every fighter I meet is destroyed. This must mean something.
I know that MD's are worthless against bigger ships, but wouldn't it be great to dedicated interceptors in my carrier to just deal with fighters? I'm also considering to fit them with ID's to cripple the enemy ships in general.
This would mean that I need to set up a MD and ID complex, but I would be willing to do that if you think that this is a viable strategy.
I'm planning on purchasing a Boron Guppy and have 4 Nova Sentinels with MD's/ID's for close/mid range anti-fighter support, 6 Nova Raiders with HEPT's/PAC's, 1 non specific cargo ship to resupply the ungodly amounts of MD ammo needed and 1 Kestrel with HEPT's/PAC's/MD's for when I need to run ;)

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3AP Mass Drivers arent weak?!

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 25. Dec 18, 17:03

Nah, they aren't weak. "Some" people just trash them mostly because they use ammunition, i.e. they're limited in application and consume cargo space. Don't give in to number crunchers, have fun the way you like ;)

Redshadus
x3tc

Re: X3AP Mass Drivers arent weak?!

Post by Redshadus » Wed, 26. Dec 18, 20:50

Redshadus wrote:
Tue, 25. Dec 18, 12:19
Hey all,

I have been playing X3 for most of my teen years and now for the first time, I am really getting into making a fleet and getting complexes set up.
My question for you is: Why are Mass Drivers so OP when you say they are weak?
I fitted 2 MD's on my Nova Vanguard and with one fly by, almost every fighter I meet is destroyed. This must mean something.
I know that MD's are worthless against bigger ships, but wouldn't it be great to dedicated interceptors in my carrier to just deal with fighters? I'm also considering to fit them with ID's to cripple the enemy ships in general.
This would mean that I need to set up a MD and ID complex, but I would be willing to do that if you think that this is a viable strategy.
I'm planning on purchasing a Boron Guppy and have 4 Nova Sentinels with MD's/ID's for close/mid range anti-fighter support, 6 Nova Raiders with HEPT's/PAC's, 1 non specific cargo ship to resupply the ungodly amounts of MD ammo needed and 1 Kestrel with HEPT's/PAC's/MD's for when I need to run ;)
Thanks. I'm now considering on using EBC's instead as the 1km range of MD's won't fare well against corvettes and bigger. Although EBC's still need to go through shields, they do so quickly and they seem to be at least as good as MD's in destroying hull. So I guess MD's are kinda meh. They might only be useful for rear turrets on fighters.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”