Egosoft, Is it okay to import assets from X:Rebirth?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X4: Foundations.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DuckSoup
x3ap

Egosoft, Is it okay to import assets from X:Rebirth?

Post by DuckSoup » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:03

So after I started to chat about this on Discord, it was suggested to me that I reach out to Ego before doing this.

Is it okay if we import assets from X:Rebirth (Ships and stuff) to X4? Obviously there are certain legal concerns, but I was hoping for some kind of input from the Dev's on this one.

Knightdark
x4

Re: Egosoft, Is it okay to import assets from X:Rebirth?

Post by Knightdark » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:24

I'm not connected to Egosoft, but I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. The assets themselves wouldn't be very useful on their own right? So it's not like a gamer pirating x4 will benefit from it much. Or am I wrong?

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:51

As i can remember, in X3 we had some ship mods from X2-ships. And we had a cockpitmod in x3 from the x2-ships.
ALLE X Spiele und alle Bücher!

DuckSoup
x3ap

Post by DuckSoup » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 22:15

The concern is taking original assets from another game and making it available to the public. It doesn't hurt to check. Having some kind of confirmation from Ego would help though.

Knightdark
x4

Post by Knightdark » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 22:16

DuckSoup wrote:
Wed, 5. Dec 18, 22:15
The concern is taking original assets from another game and making it available to the public. It doesn't hurt to check. Having some kind of confirmation from Ego would help though.
I see you're point. Better safe than sorry right? (of course, there is also the saying, better to ask for forgiveness than permission, so I'm not sure which I like better :p)

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 23:15

Maybe its a good Idea to send a PN to a Egosoft Moderator here!

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 05:03

You do realize that egosoft imported content from XR right? I mean I'm seeing ships that were in that game being put into this new game. Heck there was someone who managed to import some ships from X3 into XR which surprised me to say the least.

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 13:32

We have sound mods, importing the music from x3 and the other old x games

DuckSoup
x3ap

Post by DuckSoup » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:01

I received an official statement from Egosoft.
If you own both XR and X4, then we don't mind you adding a few XR ships to X4 as part of a mod, but we would not allow a 'total conversion' type mod, involving wholesale copying of assets.
This was from DocAce in Discord.

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:31

Rebirth DLC incoming next years
I can smell it :P

xtra
x4

Post by xtra » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:45

riky rice wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:31
All Sectors & Ships :mrgreen:

Phoynix
x4

Post by Phoynix » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 17:30

Would that actually be a bad thing in a fixed X4 engine?
riky rice wrote:
Thu, 6. Dec 18, 16:31

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Thu, 6. Dec 18, 17:56

It would be awesome actually

More content, more discoveries, more life

ADMNtek
x4

Post by ADMNtek » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 11:30

Official Egosoft statement on porting XR assets, FYI.
https://i.imgur.com/tTmFK98.png

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

Blackscorp_81
x4

Post by Blackscorp_81 » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 18:13

After reading that statement, i wonder about it... when i'm not allowed t import/mod ALL X:R ships... than "Modder1" does 3-4 and "Modder2" as well 3-4 and so on... and in the end, we will have them all anyways... just not in one mod but multiple instead... odd decision by egosoft...
Doesn't serve any proper purpose, and makes no sense.

Knightdark
x4

Post by Knightdark » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 22:44

Hey, you should be glad that they give permission at all. I point your attention towards the disaster simcity! Their policy of allowing no mods (or at least, no kind of modding that MATTERED at least, pretty much ruined the whole game. So I would suggest you don't complain too much before they retract their permission, which they can do whenever they damn will please and there would be nothing anyone of us could do about it.

Dinoff
x4

Post by Dinoff » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 23:34

I kind of read their statement as "don't completely convert x4 into rebirth" which is common from game devs. But taking the ships and sectors but not the plot would be fine. The point being that they don't want people buying x4 so they can download a rebirth total conversion with better game mechanics.

aerojet029
x4

Post by aerojet029 » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 01:30

It is more of a legal argument.

A developer is usually tight lipped about what you can and can't do with thier intellectual property beyond "its origional intentions"

Because it would be easier to legally abuse any explicit permission. Then egosoft would be left with no legal recourse even there was a legitimate case.

Look at nintendo. In tokyo you could rent mario costumes and drive their gokarts around tokyo. Nintendo never allowed it but didn't do anything until recently where they fined the company and told them to stop. Nintendo never allowed emulation, tries to shut down emulation websites and then sells remakes on each of their platforms and limits pirates from accessing software.

If you look into most game's EULAs, you usually see terms that expresse you can not modify the game beyond its original intentions. People and developers usually ignore it beyond blatant piracy.

TLDR you are in a grey area, i can't give you any advice except try to use some common sense what you share

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 01:41

Moving assets around within the titles of software on which the same company owns is generally okay provided you not release any of the actual files unpacked (Repack them as a CAT package)
I most certainly not a lawyer but I have tread this fine line for some time now to know that usually, legal action is not the first course of action, the developers or the company or some other department will send you a cease request to no longer develop the project and remove it from the download links.

We have ported between X2-X3 and then again X3-Prelude across different companies with mods (Starwars mods ring a bell?) We have ported assets specifically between X2>>X3 respectively (have not heard of cases of it going from X3>>X2) It is a grey area but one which the developers so far at least have been very forgiving on and have allowed for the past decade.
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

RWolf
x3tc

Post by RWolf » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 02:18

You would think Egosoft would want to do that on their own, since XR had better station and ship assets. They are pretty much going to waste in XR. A lot of X4 assets are straight lazily designed, with symmetrical textures (UV overlap) and models.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Scripts and Modding”