Best S & M ships

Please post any spoilers for X4: Foundations here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Ghostar
x4

Re: Best S & M ships

Post by Ghostar » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 21:50

What about the bombers / like bombers M ship? did not any tried them?
Im interested in the Argon one.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 22:10

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 3. Dec 18, 17:43
Where is the ALI Wharf I only found ALI Shipyards which only sell Mammoth/construction ship.
Trinity Sanctrum VII, top left.

XUniCez
x4

Post by XUniCez » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 09:04

Has anyone compared Nemesis Vanguard to the Nemesis Sentinel.
Same class M Corvette but the Sentinel is more expensive and has more storage and hull but less crew. (no loadout chosen since i dont have the rank to check both models)
One of these is gonna be my 'Skunk' type ship ill fly around with.
I'm aiming for the Sentinel since it has more hull but if the Vanguard is more mobile when fully loaded/maxed, that might change my mind.
Thanks!

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 12:24

I have a maybe silly question, what exactly is the point/special "thing" of bombers?

Yeah, Minotaur has 2 forward slots that I can put torpedo launchers in. So does Cerberus. Or Discovery for that matter.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:00

Wou wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 12:24
I have a maybe silly question, what exactly is the point/special "thing" of bombers?

Yeah, Minotaur has 2 forward slots that I can put torpedo launchers in. So does Cerberus. Or Discovery for that matter.
Bombers or Torp boats are the best dogfighters in the game typically. No joke. They say bomber likely because Ego expects you to kit torps usually. Those are great for taking down anything larger than a fighter such as M/L/XL. They'll also one shot a fighter and other ships. Smart Heavy Missiles are also quite powerful. Anyhoo best dogfighter in the game is Paranid Nemesis Vanguard M class bomber. It has the best kit period. Teladi shields are the best so remember that. Paranid Engines are the best too. Remember that when fitting it out. Speed and Shields (boost) are what it's about in this game. Cap ships suck currently due to the current implementation of shield regen/boost besides being underpowered bricks (not enough oomph + turrets are meh).

TheShear
x4

Post by TheShear » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:08

Actually it seems Teladi shields recharge slower according to reddit and the Paranid Engines have some kind of disadvante too (maybe acceleration). Also just a nitpick but the Nemesis is a Corvette and not a Bomber (as stated in it's info) which I guess is the ship type closer to a fighter. I do agree that it's beyound awesome though and my to go playership.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:20

Baconnaise wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:00
Bombers or Torp boats are the best dogfighters in the game typically. No joke. They say bomber likely because Ego expects you to kit torps usually.
Fine. But if I wanted a torpedo based ship why would I ever go with Minotaur over Cerberus which has more HP and better speed with the same weapon slots?
Is there a single advantage making bombers not just weaker frigates?

TheShear
x4

Post by TheShear » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 14:12

Advantages of Bombers are:
1: Better Turning
2. Lower Price
3. Less mass so faster acceleration and Travel Mode.

And the Nemesis Corvette will outmatch all of them anyway, 5 Front Guns doing the increased M Size damage and the agility/speed of a heavy fighter make short work of most ships.
Honestly though their roles are just different. Frigates are pretty much baby carriers and flying a Cerberus and watching the drones start is awesome.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 15:07

TheShear wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:08
Actually it seems Teladi shields recharge slower according to reddit and the Paranid Engines have some kind of disadvante too (maybe acceleration). Also just a nitpick but the Nemesis is a Corvette and not a Bomber (as stated in it's info) which I guess is the ship type closer to a fighter. I do agree that it's beyound awesome though and my to go playership.
Teladi shields have more HP. Regen doesn't matter in the game/combat atm due to how it works in vanilla without mods. Any touch to shields prevents regen for a set time which is one of the primary reasons anything bigger than M class is a joke. Swarms of M/S are cheap and overpowered atm. This is completely different than say X-Rebirth. Boost was still tied to shields but you could choose larger slower regen shields or a smaller faster regen one. Shield regen was also not as limited in combat with the timeout either if I recall. If Ego or a mod alters the regen similar to X-Rebirth then things would be slightly different.
Wou wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:20
Baconnaise wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 13:00
Bombers or Torp boats are the best dogfighters in the game typically. No joke. They say bomber likely because Ego expects you to kit torps usually.
Fine. But if I wanted a torpedo based ship why would I ever go with Minotaur over Cerberus which has more HP and better speed with the same weapon slots?
Is there a single advantage making bombers not just weaker frigates?
I wouldn't use either personally. In your case, though the Mino does seems pointless. Those two ships are questionable since they both rely on turrets and aren't really good dogfighters. No clue why the Mino is even classified as a bomber since it has only two fixed mounts. One would think 3 being the minimum at the least. Cerb seems to fit it's role to a degree as someone said earlier a small carrier of sorts.

Wou
x4

Post by Wou » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 16:06

Baconnaise wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 15:07
I wouldn't use either personally. In your case, though the Mino does seems pointless. Those two ships are questionable since they both rely on turrets and aren't really good dogfighters. No clue why the Mino is even classified as a bomber since it has only two fixed mounts. One would think 3 being the minimum at the least. Cerb seems to fit it's role to a degree as someone said earlier a small carrier of sorts.
I don't plan on using one either, I'm just curious what's that bomber thing all about and used Argon ones as a example.

So as for now it seems that there's nothing that would make bombers any more bomber-y than any other ship, they are just shittier frigates.
Or maybe there is some hidden quirk that's not written anywhere, wouldn't be that surprising.

Koritnaciino
x4

Post by Koritnaciino » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 17:14

Best player ship in game is Nemesis Vanguard on the moment for me. Crazy bitch - 5 front guns 2 turrets and operational. With modification far far front of others 😝

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 19:09

The Nemesis is a actually a corvette, not a frigate or bomber (check its encyclopedia entry).

The Argon bomber is the Minotaur, and the Teladi bomber is the Peregrine. Maybe I just haven't encountered them yet, but it seems the Paranid don't have a bomber, and the Argon and Teladi don't have corvettes.

I've only used the Minotaur so far. The main differences I can see between it and the Cerberus are better turret coverage and a lower price tag. The Cerberus has a large blind spot below and behind it. This isn't much of an issue for the player, but in AI hands, the Minotaur is better at keepings guns on its target.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Tadas
x4

Post by Tadas » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 19:26

I think in players hands, nothing beats pyranid ships, speed is just too good. Nodan is probably best overall S ship for everyday use - doing missions, discovering sectors, killing some pirates or xenons, very fast and having 2 guns is so much better than just 1. Personally I like having light smart missiles to quickly deal with small ships and a regular weapon just for sustained output, opening lockboxes.

Baldamundo
x4

Post by Baldamundo » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 21:26

Wou wrote:
Fri, 7. Dec 18, 12:24

Honestly this is mystifying to me. The two ships classed as "bombers" only get two slots for missile weapons (and four for non-missile turrets), while the Paranid equivalent is classed as a Corvette but has more than twice as many possible missile weapons! Doesn't make any sense at all. Honestly all the M class ships seem weirdly balanced. The frigates all look like a waste of money (except maybe the Paranid one, just because it's so fast) - expensive, really slow (especially the Teladi one, that thing's literally a brick), and not really having a lot going for them other than larger hull size than the smaller ships - they aren't even better armed than the corvettes/bombers. The Teladi bomber looks decent as an AI anti-fighter patrol ship though - if a bit slow - well shielded, and four turrets with good coverage all round.

The Paranid Nemesis, however, stands out as insanely good and probably one of the best ships in the game. Heavier frontal weaponry than literally any other ship in the game (has drawbacks, but 5 plasma cannons or torpedo launchers is much higher damage than even a destroyer's frontal armament!), extremely manouverable, and yet somehow faster than 95% of the game's fighters...As a personal ship for dogfighting, I literally can't see any reason why you'd pick anything else. Not that I'm complaining, but it seems like absolutely mad balancing - definitely the new Hyperion. One of the nicest looking ships in the game as well imo.

Capital ships seem ridiculously balanced in favour of the Paranids as well. The shields are a bit weaker, but not outrageously so, but they're much faster and more heavily armed. The Zeus also has weirdly huge amount of hitpoints - way more than the Argon Colossus. Also for reasons that I can only explain as a dev making a typo, the Paranid destroyer has got TEN docking slots for M-class ships!!! Which is as many as a carrier - none of the other destroyers can hold a single M-class. It also seems to have at least twice the amount of large turrets as the other destroyers, and significantly more medium turrets. They also get more crew slots than the other races, I think. Unless you want the full on tankiness of the Teladi, I really can't see why you wouldn't go for the Paranid capitals. Certainly struggling to see any advantages to the Argon capitals.

For fighters, the Paranid roster seems pretty weak imo - low shields and poorly armed. The Perseus and Pegasus are pretty fast, but those are the only pluses really. Seems to me like Argon have hands down the best fighters with a mix of really heavy armaments, decent shielding, and less than awful speed. For a light fighter, the Nodan is extremely good though - not massively well armed (but respectable), but one of the fastest ships yet with shielding and hull comparable to a heavy fighter.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 21:49

The Paranid couriers/miners are also quite peppy. Question is if they're more profitable due to less time traveling. Sure you can get maybe 1000 or so more storage on a Teladi/Argon version but they're much much slower. Magpies, for example, are similar cargo for half speed almost.

BTW is it me or does the Nemesis look good because it's similar to other ship stylings? Klingon BoP/fighters, Romulan (TNG/DS9 versions), Cylon (04' BSG) and more.

Tadas
x4

Post by Tadas » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 21:54

In conclusion - Paranid will die last :)

Baldamundo
x4

Post by Baldamundo » Fri, 7. Dec 18, 22:45

btw, has anyone checked out the stats on weapons? Teladi, Argon and Paranid all technically have different versions of the weapons, I think, but I don't know if they actually have different stats

SirDeity12

Post by SirDeity12 » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:38

Anyone know which ship(s) in each class have the biggest shields? I'd rather have shields than speed any day.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:52

SirDeity12 wrote:
Sat, 8. Dec 18, 00:38
Anyone know which ship(s) in each class have the biggest shields? I'd rather have shields than speed any day.
Best shields are Teladi. Engines are Paranid. Argon might be thrusters or bobbleheads dunno.

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sat, 8. Dec 18, 14:31

Traditionally:

Paranid were speed demons.
Split was Firepower and speed at the cost of defensive capability.
Teladi were defenses and storage at the expense of speed.
Boron had average ability, but I forget what the negative trait was. Maybe cheaper with slightly below average all-rounded stats.
Argon were all-rounders.

And Terrans just didn't share because they were Better Than You. (And they were, too. Considering how HARD they gave the Khaak the Shaft.)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Spoilers”