Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

Re: Trump

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 20. Nov 18, 21:46

lest we forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_S2NPBcQ4

some very interesting reading here, via the Brookings Institute:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/

- particularly the article regarding Nixon's improper attempts to interfere with the Special Council's investigation of the Watergate hearings - way back when..
- there are interesting parallels to be drawn with Trump's attempts to interfere with Mr Mueller's Special Council investigation into Russian meddling in the US election process..

- thanks go out to Rachel Maddow and her team at MSNBC for their tenacity and erudition on US matters political.. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0IOrYMuAEo
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Wed, 21. Nov 18, 06:33

more on Roger Stone's lurking in the corridors of power:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfQWd7LvZec

- regarding those moronic "lock her up" chants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpHhLRl1E50

- even the King of Badda-Bing Mooch sees the light, albeit through a glass darkly..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgzGglyxhgA
- calls himself a former White House Communications Director - how long was that tenure, about two weeks?
- hey Moochie, can you do the fandango - he's been dining out on this for ages..?!

- the Trumps are suffering with a severe irony bypass :lol:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Thu, 22. Nov 18, 10:53

When Trump got elected (partly on a forced pregnancy agenda): "Well ok hes bad but saying the USA is going to for real turn into the Republic of Gilead is hyperbole"

Now, about two years later: Ohio Republicans declare motherhood “necessary,” want to make it mandatory
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Thu, 22. Nov 18, 16:31

the real truth about Donald J Drumpf and his Replicants:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ucfxsNn6s

it is worth noting that the CEO of BET365, here in the UK, recently paid herself a bonus in excess of 200 million pounds
yes, it is true, a BONUS in excess of £200,000,000 (!!)
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 5m-in-2017

- what a mess..!!

Rich Hall on 't wireless in 't yookay:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00017wx

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sat, 24. Nov 18, 01:26

Or President made the traditional Thanksgiving call to the troops overseas. It gave our forces a true WTF moment as he praised himself, asked about trade... TRADE? And ranted at the 9th circuit court and "evil judges". The troops certainly put down there forks from their plates of chow hall turkey and didn't pick them up again for a while after Trump signed off. The military has laws and rules about political neutality and the Commander in Chief just broke every one of them. Today messages from the Department of Defense to commanding generals came down from on high to reiterate those neutality rules. Not that it's going to mitagate the damage done.

Trump's Thanksgiving "Rhetorical Bedlam"

One reporter asked Trump what he was thankfull for on Thanksgiving. His answer? Drumroll please!
... He said "Me. I've done a great job..." :o

I'm actually happy with Trumps message to the troops. It showed them in graphic detail what danger the US is in and what a lunitic their Commander in Chief really is. I'm sorry that it probably killed their appetites in the doing.
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 24. Nov 18, 05:30

Bishop149 wrote:
Thu, 22. Nov 18, 10:53
...Now, about two years later: Ohio Republicans declare motherhood “necessary,” want to make it mandatory
How friggin' click-baity can an article be? Well, there ya go... It's this sort of windmill-jousting that prevents sensible political discussion.

PS - I'm not sure "sensible" can be next to "political" in a sentence... But, I'll leave it as it is and maybe it'll make it into Webster's one day as an "approved use."

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 17:04

- the Replicants could change their name to the Clickbait Party, they've become so adept at diversion politics.. :lol:

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Sun, 25. Nov 18, 17:19

BugMeister said;
Party, they've become so adept at diversion politics..
Just once I'd like the media to say "Nope, not reporting this because it's just a smoke screen". Or post headlines: Trump's lame attempt to bullsh** public fails".

What headline I really want to see:
Judge sentences disgraced ex-president to life plus 99 years with no possibility of parole! President Pence denies pardon."

Edit: I'll tack this on to make a point just by it's title:

2 Americas 2 Different News Worlds
MIND THE GAP

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 00:07

expect the economy to tank before the Dems get into the Senate..
the Replicants and the Replicant-dominated corporations control the vast majority of the wealth, so stock market manipulations will be lined up..
- the banks and Wall Street are only interested in controlling the economy and widening the income-gap - hence their almost total silence since they got their tax-breaks..

- expect more chaos ( much more chaos..) between now and January, as far as the Replicants are concerned, they have nothing to lose..

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 26. Nov 18, 03:18

BugMeister wrote:
Mon, 26. Nov 18, 00:07
expect the economy to tank before the Dems get into the Senate..
And, the Democrats haven't been widely known for inspiring "the economy." If anything, a largely Democrat-controlled Congress would cause an instinctive downturn for a short time. The best performing economies for the US have been under Republican-controlled Congresses and a Democrat-controlled Presidency. It seems that "balance" actually works. Whowouldathunkit?
the Replicants and the Replicant-dominated corporations control the vast majority of the wealth, so stock market manipulations will be lined up..
- the banks and Wall Street are only interested in controlling the economy and widening the income-gap - hence their almost total silence since they got their tax-breaks..
The problem that truly exists has nothing to do with what you wrote. In a nutshell, the real issues is "short-term gains." The market is hungrier than ever for them and competition for investment-dollars has never been more frantic. This pushes up the values, especially with profits being widened by more favorable tax regulations. But, those short-term gains do not translate to "long-term stability." Who may be the victims, there? Workers, largely. With billions to be made overnight, cutting costs to show short-term profits is always going to start with labor. Watch the labor reports and, more importantly, wage changes, for an indication, especially in large employer companies. Watch labor reports and workers working multiple jobs. A fully employed workforce, which is close to where we're at now, is great. But, wages have to rise as well. (They are better at the moment, IIRC.) I don't know what the turnovers are, and that's important too - High turnover rates, despite constant employment, aren't necessarily a good economic health indicator.

Calling people "Replicants" instead of Republicans just makes you look... bad. It's a stupid, childish, thing to do. Why not elevate yourself to appear as a person who prefers to address the reality of the situation at hand instead of looking like you're having a playground argument at grade-school? Who can take you seriously when you use such tactics? Would "Dumbocrats" be an effective counter-argument that actually advanced a reasonable discussion? Nope.
- expect more chaos ( much more chaos..) between now and January, as far as the Replicants are concerned, they have nothing to lose..
It's a half-month work schedule. I don't think this Lame Duck Congress is going to get a whole lot of anything significant done, but they're sure to try. It's a common thing when there's a majority change in any Congress. But, as far as a sort of "doom and gloom chaos period" I'd have to say it's not likely to be a good prediction. Look at developments in the new Speaker of the House to help foreshadow what's going to happen in the coming months. And, pay special attention to their first actions and how much support they actually get. If they speak loudly but can't carry a stick... Well, that'll be the signal as to how effective they're going to be. They'll also have to be able to work across the aisle, so to speak, so how much support they receive for their first actions from the opposing party will be telling as well.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 00:34

Seems Democrats are pushing for policy in Congress rather than the usual Trump bashing, a smart move in my opinion. Of course the press will be lobbying really hard for Democrats to opens as much investigations into Trump and associates as possible.

Some good topics as well, "immigration, rising student loan debt, high-cost prescription drugs and the federal response to hurricane disasters, especially in Puerto Rico." Throw in jobs and national debt and they could make some inroads towards the next election campaign.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 10:21

Morkonan wrote:
Sat, 24. Nov 18, 05:30
How friggin' click-baity can an article be? Well, there ya go... It's this sort of windmill-jousting that prevents sensible political discussion.
The first five words merely describe something that happened, the very definition of "news" but the last 4 words are admittedly little click-baity and less well supported.
However, I believe the article does a decent job of making the central points around which those 4 words sit, those of:
- The true motivation behind abortion bill have nothing to do with the rights of the child, but are rather ALL about punishing / shaming women who would chose not to become mothers.
- States are becoming increasingly draconian (examples provided) in this regard, to the point where on a scale of 1 to Gilead to you're probably at about a 7.5.
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 18:41

Santi wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 00:34
... Of course the press will be lobbying really hard for Democrats to opens as much investigations into Trump and associates as possible.
The "Press?" The press is going to be lobbying for this? Which ones? What press/news outlets are going to be "lobbying" for such investigations?
Some good topics as well, "immigration, rising student loan debt, high-cost prescription drugs and the federal response to hurricane disasters, especially in Puerto Rico." Throw in jobs and national debt and they could make some inroads towards the next election campaign.
It looks like they're just covering the scope of voter demographics that they can reasonably secure favor with. Immigration = Hispanics, a rising demographic, Student Loan Debt = Young people, millenials, Prescription Drugs = Elderly, Hurricane Response = A controversial addition to add some "fire" to their platform for their base, which is securely anti-Trump.
Bishop149 wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 10:21
- The true motivation behind abortion bill have nothing to do with the rights of the child, but are rather ALL about punishing / shaming women who would chose not to become mothers.
- States are becoming increasingly draconian (examples provided) in this regard, to the point where on a scale of 1 to Gilead to you're probably at about a 7.5.
It appears to me to be a proposition by some hardline wingnut that isn't going to go anywhere, but inflames her base. Even if it passes, it'll likely be struck down because it's not possible to justify because there's no suitable definition on the books so it can be enforced.

I didn't see any examples that show "states are becoming increasingly draconian" in that regard. There's continuing examples of Ohio and one in Mississippi. There's a few more States than that.

To be sure, it is a very controversial issue and happens to be one of the fundamental issues for the outspoken conservative base. But, it's not universal among conservatives. Something worth noting: In the case of pregnant women being charged with abuse of a child if they're taking drugs, I'm firmly of the belief that we need to act on that and there are limited ways we can do that. Those children, more often than not, end up being cared for in some way by the State. They generally end up with lots of problems that fall to the State to deal with. That includes children who's mothers were drug abusers during pregnancy ending up with other relatives who, in turn, end up using government assistance programs to help them raise the child, who will likely have an assortment of issues that will effect them the rest of their lives, likely continuing to impact the State.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 18:53

- does it never occur to you that the honest press is acting on your behalf?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:15

BugMeister wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 18:53
- does it never occur to you that the honest press is acting on your behalf?
Directed at me? If so, then yes it does occur to me that the "press" will report things that it feels I should know. That's their mandate, especially where government action is concerned. I just wanted to know where the idea that there is press out there that will lobby for what was proposed came from, that's all.

Should they? That's an issue, to be sure, that needs examination. If it's based on the true "facts" and not "opinion or interpretation" then I have no issue. But, just when it seems the press is approaching a fact-based interpretation, some hardliner goes overboard and then claims that Trump eats live babies... Which kinda blows everything else that's being presented out of the water.

Take that article that was linked earlier. The one that stated there was a bill to make motherhood mandatory? PART of that article was factual, but the rest of it was crap. So, what happens to any facts and any sort of legitimate interpretations of them? They're now crap, too, because the writer/editor/publisher pushed the line waaaaay to far.

I have it on good authority that Trump likes his babies medium-well... Preferably in-between sesame-seed buns with "special sauce."

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:33

Morkonan let slip:
I have it on good authority that Trump likes his babies medium-well... Preferably in-between sesame-seed buns with "special sauce."
Hhmmm... I wondered why they were so hot about child separation. Guess he and his ravinous rabid minions needed a steady supply. It another piece of the puzzle that suddenly clicks in place. (Chapolte sauce you think?) I want my baby back...baby back...baby back ribs... :o
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:54

Hank001 wrote:
Tue, 27. Nov 18, 19:33
Morkonan let slip:
Hhmmm... I wondered why they were so hot about child separation. Guess he and his ravinous rabid minions needed a steady supply. It another piece of the puzzle that suddenly clicks in place. (Chapolte sauce you think?) I want my baby back...baby back...baby back ribs... :o
It's always some variant of "Thousand Island Dressing." Go figure...

GIT IN MA BELLY!

About 20 of us went to go see that movie in the theater when it came out. It's likely the longest laugh-moment we ever had together in a movie. At least one friend came close to being physically sick with laughter... Damn, I love remember that. "I've got a peeker! A turtle..." Friggin' hilarious... Thanks for the memory!

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 20:22

Radio Donny hits the airwaves..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V5JgegmKpI

- remember when he referred to "my Generals"..?

meanwhile GM sheds 14,700 jobs - this rises to around 50,000 when you factor in ancillary industries..
the warning came 5 months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svGmvbdoXxY

and now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7_GaDGYEu4

the stock markets rub their hands with glee.. :gruebel:

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 27. Nov 18, 23:55

@Morkonan

Most of the press is not only in open conflict with Trump, but also making a mint reporting even the most inconsequential facts about him. It needs new scandals and headlines of Trump to keep the dollars flowing. A lot of the coverage in the press regarding Congress changing hands was not about policy or how Trump administration will be affected, but all the marvellous potential there could be to further investigate Trump, family and associates. Cannot be denied that there is a huge thirst for articles demonising Trump by a lot of people. Basically it has been two years of "Trump eats babies", people "I told you so" every, single, day.

That bring us to Democrats finally adopting a policy approach instead of waiting for the press to slaughter Trump and impeach him. Of course they play to their demographics and hopefully immigration is not only about Hispanics but also about border control or they will not have traction in a huge part of the USA population. Now comes the difficult part that is making those promises credible and focus on making people believe there will be change. Here they are at a disadvantage as Trump already has a track record of ticking his electoral promises.

But it is a start, and there has been a bit of regeneration in their files, still I do not rate them to do well in the next elections if they do not bring an outsider.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 02:19

Gee, us offtopicers are a toxic bunch, apparently, according to this post on the GOG forums.
Egosoft as a whole seems to be OK, but stay away from the offtopic section of their forums: they are onesided politically (most active post), there, and the moderation team as as a whole supports this under the banner of "do not question my authority [rule 9, and it's applied very, very loosely in practice]."

Return to “Off Topic English”