Atmosphere in X4 (Not Planetary)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Atmosphere in X4 (Not Planetary)

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 01:08

I'm wondering how the atmosphere will be in this game I always liked that you could see other ships docking and leaving, wares deplete and fill in stations, and prices fluctuate at the Stock Exchange, all in real time. X Rebirth took it a step further by allowing us to play as a person, rather than a ship (Yes, I know you could use a spacesuit in X3, but it still felt like you were piloting a craft). Doing so, we could see these things up close and personal. We could see the denizens of the galaxy working, relaxing, talking. It helped make it feel more alive. But in space, it's mostly silence, until a battle breaks out or you get scanned.

I loved the atmosphere in Freelancer. You could hear other ships talking to each other. Transport ships would say where they came from, and where they were going. Law enforcement ships would announce scans. Ships would request docking clearance. At gates, stations, and planetary rings, you often had to stop and wait for clearance. You could see other ships ahead of you as you took your place in line. During combat, enemy pilots would announce when they had you in a target lock, if you were evading their shots, or when they were exploding. I loved all of it, it felt like the universe was alive around me, I wasn't one of a chose few blessed with a voice.

How is the atmosphere being handled in X4? Will there be something like that, or will it be like the older X games? Or are there plans to add that?
Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad on Wed, 5. Dec 18, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Re: Atmosphere in X4 (Not Planetary)

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 06:27

would be rad, but historically ego hasn't been the greatest at voice work... :shock:
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

THE_BIG_FISH:Leo
x4

Post by THE_BIG_FISH:Leo » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 07:54

Sandalpocalypse wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 06:27
would be rad, but historically ego hasn't been the greatest at voice work... :shock:
Don't be silly there games have always had the best voice acting, and scripts that made perfect sense in English....

Take care mind...

Seriously though with English speaking staff in the studio it's always amazed me how many things end up in the games that make zero sense in English xD

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 14:12

THE_BIG_FISH:Leo wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 07:54
Seriously though with English speaking staff in the studio it's always amazed me how many things end up in the games that make zero sense in English xD
Just assume you hear English because it went through an universal translator and think about what Google translate spits out. Then it makes a lot of sense.

CorruptUser
x4

Post by CorruptUser » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 14:50

Repeat after me:

Programmers are not voice actors.

Voice acting is an actual talent, not something that can be done by anyone that can speak. A lot of game companies think they can skimp on the actors by just having the programmers recite the lines. It doesn't work.
I must defend my honor!

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 15:00

Oh, I dunno, Owen (Zenon Slayer) was the biggest hit this side of the galaxy so to say. In his latest video offering on YouTube.

I'd say, he's got the job. I think he would make a very good Paranid, or was that a Teladi, no maybe an Argon, no it must be a general artificial intelligence. Yeah that's it.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:38

Why thank you :roll: I make a mean Paranid if I do say so myself. IIRC, we haven't done any voice recordings of actual staff since X3TC, primarily for time restraints, we should be working. I just happened to have the opportunity back then as I was actually at the recording studio.

As for quality, there are so many factors that go into this, be it the text, direction or the range of the talent. Naturally, this will happen at the back-end of the project and it is honestly a large amount of work getting it organised. I think we're on a good path though.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

CorruptUser
x4

Post by CorruptUser » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:49

It's alright, we became fans of the X series for the economy and space trading simulator. There really isn't anything else like it in terms of scope.
I must defend my honor!

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 17:01

Heyyy, i always found the voices in the X series charming, i mean come on, who will ever forget the first time they heard a boron say "FOR THE QUEEN" or a split scream "SPLIT NO LIKE THIS!" or when the teladi would greet you in the name of Chairman Ceo "One of the worst puns i've ever heard in my life, but by god i love it"

jocan2003
x4

Post by jocan2003 » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 23:47

Have a good day !NOT! ... Good thing there was no guns in the game or a couple would die just because of what they said XD.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 23:59

Bernd said that it rather feels like playing X2.

And that's good, because I loved X2.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 02:54

repatomonor wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 23:59
Bernd said that it rather feels like playing X2.

And that's good, because I loved X2.
Definitely. I am HYPE over all the X2ness I'm seeing. :D
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 03:14

I never played X2,but what do you mean by X4 feels like X2?

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 04:03

I'm curious too. I mean, I have X2, but I just can't get over the weird control scheme that can't be altered.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 04:11

I mean from what ive seen of X2, X2 had a more of an interesting story compared to what i saw in X3

X3 Intro scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KaYtJS4qI

X2 Intro scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi540cRjN3U&t=

The x3 intro to me cant hold a candle to the X2 intro as the X2 intro and feel reminds me of the Homeworld series's cutscenes that used the ingame assets.
https://youtu.be/2eRddEb-WOA?t=174

Just so much charm to these scenes.

If X4 has this kind of feel for the world setup, then I'll be quite happy.

ZombiePotatoSalad
x4

Post by ZombiePotatoSalad » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 06:09

I always took the English dialogue with a grain of salt. I always imagined it like how it was explained in the Green Lantern animated series: while the translators in the rings allow you to understand what others are saying, other things do not translate well, such as rhymes.

I don't expect there to be things like what was in Freelancer. I was just curious on if it was going to be different than the past, or the same. I also never played X2, so the comparisons are lost on me as well.

I also understand if you guys are too busy to do more voicework than is necessary. I'm sure many of us in the community would be happy to lend some voice talent (or lack of talent, in my case).
The Teladi are known for creating a standardized currency, ship insurance, and insurance fraud.

BlackDog
x4

Post by BlackDog » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 07:19

I dono, I still find the quirky voice work of the X series to be part of its charm, just like horrible looking yet hilarious glitches in Bethesda games.

Recently while playing Skyrim a horse just started flying around in the sky with a rider on it, flying in circles around a house, then flying off into the distance never to be seen again.

Much like the X Voices, you cant help but laugh and be happy when you see/hear them.

spacecoyote99
x4

Post by spacecoyote99 » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 11:41

Yes same here. I don't mind if the English is a little clunky it's part of the game history for me. If Teladi spoke with a fluent American accent it'd just sound weird ;)

Seanchaidh
x4

Post by Seanchaidh » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 12:22

I don't mind poor voice work that much, but when it's gratuitously flirty it gets extremely grating. :rant:

Especially when it's directed at a character who sounds about as suave as Newman from Seinfeld or Screech from Saved by the Bell. :sceptic:

Cabrelbeuk
x4

Post by Cabrelbeuk » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 16:34

Well the french acting in X3 Reunion was really hilarious.

Weirdly in a good way.

Like this black pilot answering you with an heavily racist CHINESE accent... Gold.

And Betty at this time was really smooth and relaxing.

I wouldn't mind some of the ideas to be implemented along the updates tho.
AMD R7 2700X 3.7GHz - GTX 1070 Ti 8Go Asus cerberus - 16Go RAM 3200MHz - Asus Prime X470-Pro - LG 32" 4K 60Hz - SSD Samsung Evo850 512 GB - HDD Toshiba 2 To 7200 Tr/min - Onkyo HTS-7800 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2

Return to “X4: Foundations”