I really Enjoy Rebirth Campaign But I get too easily lost...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

StoneLegionYT
x4

I really Enjoy Rebirth Campaign But I get too easily lost...

Post by StoneLegionYT » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 02:24

So Enjoying the Campaign right now. I like to overtime play freemode as well. My biggest issue right now with Rebirth is I get lost and I don't mean the arrow to point me to my next assignment.

This is what I get lost on quite a bit:
[*] I find it hard to do simple trade operations. like Shift + Y really. I guess I don't really get a sense where point a to point b is and I worry about my ship.
[*] I find it hard to find simple stuff like a local trader in space or to hire someone. I find the menu's give me a nice list but is that the current space I am all space? it just seems a bit confusing I also get like random number beside their names like 74
[*] I find the map very hard to follow. I don't ever use it I find it just too challenging to figure out where I am at times let alone where other things are that I had been to in the past. I find X3 did it quite decent but I find this really impossible to understand.
[*] During the Campaign so far I feel like I'm on just for the ride. I feel like if I try to venture off I'm only hurting myself and even then I find the galaxy so confusing where to go and such that I don't even try at all. Instead I might see some enemy faction near a taxi / gate and just afk killing them for a while then keep doing my missions.
[*] I find the whole multiple ship management hard and confusing. I wish there was a better map system I feel like I'm always lost trying to move them around and where they are, etc.

I would say overall 99% of my issues seems to be the Map and just figuring out who I am where I am where is that and where are they at. Not sure if there is ways to improve this via mods and if other people suffer from it.

Thanks.

atavistuk
x4

Re: I really Enjoy Rebirth Campaign But I get too easily lost...

Post by atavistuk » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 13:16

Playing right now myself (I've paused at 'The Trade Run' atm to do Sandbox Things [tm])

I cannot help you with trading, because I honestly don't DO trading, not even in X3. I build Stations and let THEM do the trading for me. (Currently building and outfitting a Construction Shop in Albion/Far Out/Exhaustless Mines) I find it so much easier to just let my Architects and Station Managers get what they need and trade their produced wares while I feed them cash from running missions.

The Menu Lists only tell you who is in your current ZONE.

I can't help you with the map. I find it super simple to use. . brings up the zone I'm in, , brings up the sector and there are buttons pretty much everywhere to allow me to go back and forth and on top of that I've pretty much lived entirely in Albion/Far Out so far this play-through to the point I know the place blindfolded!

Leaving the Campaign is easy. Just don't do your next mission and do other things instead. It's even easier before a certain mission and the game world opens up, since you won't have too many enemies. (Hence why I've stopped where I have. Sure I can get a bit further in the campaign before things get interesting, but anywhere after you get your freighter is just as good for me.)

Again here I generally foist my ships onto various people in my empire. Like the starting freighter is a subordinate of my Station manager now and is trading automatically for me, but even so, sadly, I find the map easy to use so I don't really have much trouble getting ships to go where I want.

I... honestly don't know what differences there are between the X3 and X:R maps myself. The layout and controls are pretty much the same, just with 1 more layer down (and I never use the galaxy level much anyway)

Sorry I can't be more help. :(

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:25

Kane Hart wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 02:24
This is what I get lost on quite a bit:
[*] I find it hard to do simple trade operations. like Shift + Y really. I guess I don't really get a sense where point a to point b is and I worry about my ship.
If you're still early in the campaign (or if you don't own the Teladi Outpost DLC) then the only thing you need to keep in the back of your head is where the jump beacons are in Albion. There's just one per sector, so shouldn't be that difficult to memorize. I know I felt a bit disoriented too at first, but in time it stuck. The reason you need to remember it is that helps you visualize in your head the path that your trader might take, which in turn lets you decide whether it's safe to do a particular trade. For example, depending on where you are in the campaign, it might not be advisable to make unattended trades between Albion and DeVries, as that is a sure way to get your ships killed. That is not to say those trades are impossible, they would just require a bit of intervention on your part.

Putting next part under a spoiler in case you don't want to spoil the campaign yet:
Spoiler
Show
After the campaign is done you can gradually repair your reputation with PMC so the above stops being an issue.

If you do own the Teladi Outpost, things become more difficult later on: when making trades between Albion and Omicron Lyrae, ships tend to pick a route through Verdant Profit, which is dangerous. But there isn't much you can do other than manually direct them all the time. What I did, again, is just eventually get a feel for how your ships choose their route, and periodically checked on them to see if they were doing fine.
[*] I find it hard to find simple stuff like a local trader in space or to hire someone. I find the menu's give me a nice list but is that the current space I am all space? it just seems a bit confusing I also get like random number beside their names like 74
Not sure about the numbers. If you're looking for someone specific, besides using a comm menu what you can do is check every station's info. If you have the station's docking ports scanned, it'll show a list of inhabitants for every docking port. From there, you can Plot Course to a person you're looking for.
[*] I find the map very hard to follow. I don't ever use it I find it just too challenging to figure out where I am at times let alone where other things are that I had been to in the past. I find X3 did it quite decent but I find this really impossible to understand.
The map is a bit of a pain compared to X3, the only advice here is to bite the bullet and try to get used to it, unfortunately.
[*] During the Campaign so far I feel like I'm on just for the ride. I feel like if I try to venture off I'm only hurting myself and even then I find the galaxy so confusing where to go and such that I don't even try at all. Instead I might see some enemy faction near a taxi / gate and just afk killing them for a while then keep doing my missions.
Nah, other than some scripted events in the campaign that may ruin some of your accomplishments made in free roaming, leaving the campaign is not a problem at all. Thing is, you may want to advance the plot at least to a point where you have more room to explore and exploit.
[*] I find the whole multiple ship management hard and confusing. I wish there was a better map system I feel like I'm always lost trying to move them around and where they are, etc.
Squads, use them. They're stupid, but at least you only need to command one ship, and the rest will follow.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:45

Kane Hart wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 02:24
[...]
This will come from understanding the map. See below.
You can set a waypoint to any npc or item you interact with through the menues. Ctrl+A will set autopilot towards whatever you've selected, but there should also be an option to just set a waypoint for you to follow manually.
From my point of view, the big difference between X3 and XR where the map is concerned, is that X3 was "flat", and XR is pyramidal. The galaxy is made of systems. A system is composed of multiple sectors that can be accessed through superhighways (or jumpdrive for capships), and these sectors are made of zones that you can fly between on conventionnal drives, boosters of local highways. You can only change systems through jumpgates. So you have 4 layers, and for each ones you have to find the correct mode of transport. In X3, you made every moves by jumpgates, and that was pretty much it.
It is quite normal to be lost at first, as it is a pretty big universe. If you don't mind spoilers, there are a few good maps you can consult.
Here is my personal favourite. - Spoiler Alert -, but there are other good ones on the wiki of the game.
My personal opinion of the main purpose of the campaign is that it's only there to show you how the basic game mechanics work. It's a sandbox game, and you play it the way you want, even in the campaign. You want to rush through, do it. You want to build a whole empire while doing the campaign, have fun. You want to get lost in the scenery, no stress...
Yes. It is. It's been pointed out time and time again by a pretty big portion of the users of this forums ever since the game came out. Ship and station management is extremely tedious as soon as you get reasonable amount of anything.
From what I've seen of the upcoming game, the developers have heard us, and have answered the call. They've put a lot of effort in the new map/management system, and I'm eager to see it in action. For XR, though, we have what we have.

I hope this helps.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 05:52

radcapricorn wrote:
Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:25
The map is a bit of a pain compared to X3, the only advice here is to bite the bullet and try to get used to it, unfortunately.
Hi,

I always have the seizewell.de map open on another monitor. It's VERY helpful.

cu
Rainer

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”