X online

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Doogerie1

X online

Post by Doogerie1 » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 09:12

I was just thinking how much fun an X game would be online yes it may be a bit like Elite but since when has that been a bad thing it would give (as good as Elite is) people a choice and options as aposed to one online Space sim domnating the market. I love the X series and this was just an Idea that I came up with in bed last night so please don’t 🔥 me thanks. :)

Alee Enn
x4

Re: X online

Post by Alee Enn » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 09:51

Not going to flame you, and I won't say it'll never happen because I don't know what Egosoft's plans are ... all I will say is that the idea has been suggested many times before.
Formerly "Alien Tech Inc."

ArcherVII
x4

Post by ArcherVII » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 13:38

i dont think a x online can compete against an EVE Online or Star Citizen. there are just to big.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 13:48

The nature of the games are very different; perhaps if you removed all the factory buy and selling, made factories non destructible, then it could start to work? The real supply/demand for manufacture may have to be stopped etc otherwise it'd be too easy to crash the economy.

I always thought it could work with restrictions *if* it were Freelancer MP-esque (i.e limited to x players online at any one time, like 40, privately hosted/run servers), and limits on building or destroying things and owning ships etc. But... then it's no longer X. Therefore it'd be more suitable being akin to how Paradox do their MP games; limited player numbers on private games only. I.e. organise a group, connect at same time, and play in existing universe hosted by one of the 6. Perhaps 4-6 max.

segmentationfault

Post by segmentationfault » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 13:51

X Online would be very nice. I don't think it would or should be competing with other space games since all of them are unique. On the paper many of them sounds pretty similar but once you play Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, Helium Rain, etc. they all feel and plays very differently. There are enough room for many more space games and X Online would be an excellent addition. Who knows - maybe some day.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 14:34

… but not with X4: Foundations:

X4 Devs' Q&A Sticky:

Q. Will this be pure singleplayer or also multiplayer (in a way, COOP etc.)?
A. For reasons that have been discussed at length, any form of multi-player involving real-time interaction between players is off the cards.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 22:20

As Alan has pointed out it ain't going to happen. But wasn't there an online version thought about many, many moons ago or did I just dream about that. Besides I don't think it would work great as a MMO but I do think it would be great to have some kind of CO-OP game mode, for say maybe 4 to 8 players, playing in the same universe. Shame it will never happen but we can always dream about it.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 6. Oct 18, 23:07

felter wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 22:20
But wasn't there an online version thought about many, many moons ago or did I just dream about that.
It's been there for years with no change: Egosoft Online Universe

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 16:29

I recall joining some X Online clan when I was 15 or something. Now 29. Bloody hell. And Egosoft hasn't even released coop play :(

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Thu, 11. Oct 18, 20:23

I've come up with a couple ideas as to how such a game would work, but implementing them always hits a roadblock when it comes to network bandwidth. When you have 3000 people spread among 100 sectors it's not a problem, but what if an NPC invasion or something attacks a station in one of the sectors that the humans really want to protect and you wind up with 1500 players trying to jump into a single sector? Instancing won't save you because then the factory will be taking cross-instance damage. You could put a hard cap on the number of players in each sector, but then guilds could potentially shut down entire sectors by filling them out.

EVE Online solves it through time dilation, but that wouldn't work in something resembling X with free control because you really need those fast updates of other ships to allow dogfighting and prevent lag warping you inside someone else's collision.

I think that's the main reason nobody's tried to make such a game. I guess you could change the control scheme to be more bandwidth-friendly, but then you're taking away the very personal feel that the X series has and combat would be radically different.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 16:54

Observe wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 23:07
felter wrote:
But wasn't there an online version thought about many, many moons ago or did I just dream about that.
That's just funny now. :D
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 12. Oct 18, 18:13

Rapier wrote:
Fri, 12. Oct 18, 16:54
Observe wrote:
Sat, 6. Oct 18, 23:07
felter wrote:
That's just funny now. :D
Domain was renewed 2018-02-27. Someone out there still has hope.

Return to “Off Topic English”