X3:R - How to deal with missile spam?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mazryonh
x3tc

X3:R - How to deal with missile spam?

Post by Mazryonh » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 00:21

One thing I've never liked about this game is how sometimes the AI will unleash waves of missiles at you, especially Xenon fighters. Many ships don't have turrets, which makes it difficult to intercept missiles. Another problem is that the "Target Nearest Enemy" button takes a while to target something and there is no guarantee it will actually target a hostile missile, something that makes it unreliable when there's waves of them coming right at you! So much for trying to intercept missiles with your guns if they're not launched where you can see them coming at you in a predictable fashion.

I know that the X3:R bonus pack has the Missile Defense Mosquito mod that lets any ship with the right extensions and enough Mosquito missiles to automatically launch those missiles to intercept hostile missiles, but the mod launches the Mosquitoes a bit too quickly for my liking. Also, there used to be another mod by Cycrow at the link below that used to make intercepting missiles with guns much easier that allowed you to instantly target hostile missiles with a button press:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=140935

Unfortunately the download links for that mod are all dead. So are there any alternative mods or strategies I can use whenever I hear my non-Capital ship computer say "Alert, Missile Closing" over and over again?

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 00:36

Mosquito missle defence is part of the bonus pack.
https://www.egosoft.com/download/x3/bonus_en.php
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

jlehtone
x4

Re: X3:R - How to deal with missile spam?

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 00:57

Mazryonh wrote:One thing I've never liked about this game is how sometimes the AI will unleash waves of missiles at you, especially Xenon fighters.
If you buy a ship from yard, it has 5% chance to launch a missile, when it is supposed to attack. Therefore, 95% of attacks are with guns.

The NPC have some random variation on that setting. Thus, some have 100% chance to use missiles. When they have a target, they will launch all that they've got (at some rate).

Alas, the NPC has next to no resupply. Small comfort, if you got shot already. Really sad, when you exploit them.

Player can outspam the NPC. With Group Command Hotkeys (X3R Bonuspack) you can make a wing of 60 fighters launch Wasps (or whatever) at a target. What a lightshow! ... slideshow.

X3TC did introduce Bomber and Missile Fregate classes. Missile Barrages. X3AP made sure that NPC have plenty of ordnance and willingness to use it. Having just barely survived Skirnirs attention, I can assure you that X3R was tame in comparison.

I had no real issue with missile spams in X3R. Then again, M6 was my first priority (and no, they are not particularly awesome in X3R).

PSG is an area-effect weapon. In selected fighters. IonD kind of too, but I'm not sure if it has stopping power.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Fri, 21. Sep 18, 03:36

I find any ship without a rear turret or two is a flying coffin.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 24. Sep 18, 14:58

Mazryonh wrote: I know that the X3:R bonus pack has the Missile Defense Mosquito mod that lets any ship with the right extensions and enough Mosquito missiles to automatically launch those missiles to intercept hostile missiles, but the mod launches the Mosquitoes a bit too quickly for my liking. Also, there used to be another mod by Cycrow at the link below that used to make intercepting missiles with guns much easier that allowed you to instantly target hostile missiles with a button press:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=140935

Unfortunately the download links for that mod are all dead. So are there any alternative mods or strategies I can use whenever I hear my non-Capital ship computer say "Alert, Missile Closing" over and over again?
The links have been fixed

Hemmingfish

Post by Hemmingfish » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 03:15

My strategy is to watch the gravidar to see which angle the missile is coming at me from, then rotate towards it and blind fire in its general direction. The detonation radius against laser fire is actually quite large, so once you get used to looking for them after hearing the warning it's not too much problem to reliably take them out.

The only trick is working out which one is the closest if 4 or 5 enemies fire at once and the gravidar is zoomed way in, which is when I'll use target nearest in hopes that it highlights a missile.

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 15:20

Phased Shockwave Generators are very effective at shielding against missiles.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 16:59

… as long as you don't mind upsetting everyone or anyone else with assets near to you! The same applies for IonDs too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Tue, 25. Sep 18, 22:25

My pilot usually attack multiple enemies, often with better ships than his own.

I never used bonus pack for anti-missile defense or script (I use vanilla versions of games).

My methods are following:
1. If you have small ship, then it must be faster than missile.
2. If you fly something bigger, then it must have jump drive. When you need to avoid incoming missiles just jump to any gate of any sector.
3. You can fly through nearby gate to avoid incoming missiles.
4. If my pilot fly capital ships with large shields (and some Turrets with Missile defense command), then he often can ignore incoming missiles.
4. If my pilot fly something like M7M Cobra, then it can defend itself even against another M7M (it is rare event though, attack of enemy M7M)
5. And finally if he fly something like Xenon I, then he not need to worry about incoming missiles.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Wed, 26. Sep 18, 08:44

i just started x3ap recently after dormant from rebirth. xr is tame. i can barely scratch an m7 in an m6 with the constant missile torp spam

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 26. Sep 18, 09:42

AP does change things, no question. My basic theory in TC was "there is no problem that cannot be solved if you have enough tomahawks," and I always followed that under my breath with "thank goodness the AI doesn't know that." Guess what, in AP they seem to have figured it out.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Wed, 26. Sep 18, 09:53

Timsup2nothin wrote:AP does change things, no question. My basic theory in TC was "there is no problem that cannot be solved if you have enough tomahawks," and I always followed that under my breath with "thank goodness the AI doesn't know that." Guess what, in AP they seem to have figured it out.
In AP there is no problem you can't save with an M7M full of hammers. Or with a bunch of them.

cu
Rainer

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 27. Sep 18, 14:37

I often cap M7Ms using an M6. You just need to be patient and focus on shooting down the hammers before letting ion disruptors on your turrets handle most of the flails or dock at the nearest station/jump out. Once they are out of missiles it is an easy acquisition.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 07:19

Hmm.. is it just me or Argon shipyards no longer sell Mosquito missile factory in AP?

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 08:33

ajime wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 07:19
Hmm.. is it just me or Argon shipyards no longer sell Mosquito missile factory in AP?
Four of them do. Just not the ones in OL and Heartlight(? only know the German name)

cu
Rainer

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 09:53

Light of Heart

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Fri, 28. Sep 18, 10:10

Fulgrymm wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 09:53
Light of Heart
Or so ... :-)

cu
Rainer

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 29. Sep 18, 14:29

ajime wrote:
Fri, 28. Sep 18, 07:19
Consult your ingame Encyclopedia. The description of Argon Mosquito Forge should list the "Sold at" SY's (if you have already seen such SY's).

The "not every SY sells every Kit" was already in X3R. Probably in X2 too.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 00:31

There is no ingame encyclopedia in X3R... nor are there any M7Ms
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Wed, 3. Oct 18, 12:02

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Wed, 3. Oct 18, 00:31
There is no ingame encyclopedia in X3R... nor are there any M7Ms
Since M7Ms are best missile spammers, then player has less to worry about in X3:R.

Anyway this thread has all possible answers for different versions of X3 about dealing with missile spam.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”