[X3AP] We build to last

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

[X3AP] We build to last

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 17:14

Well, not really.

However,
I do some "Build a Station" missions. For regular factions just "domestic" ones; one's whose resources are supplied by local race. It somehow ain't right to drop a Paranid among Argons. For Pirate clients, anything goes. I don't mind if they attract business opportunities from everywhere. Not that I would know what business the Pirates have.

That attraction has been more than expected. Those Stations act as honeypots and tarpit for faction Military. For example, a FAA Fab in Brennan has drawn both Argon and Paranid Frigates (with host) and has been under continuous attack for weeks, IS and OOS. Shields down, but hull stays at 93%. Neither the Fab nor the siege army dies and the Military is practically trapped there. Same has repeated in Nopileos.

Terrans had taken over Treasure Chest. Tyr* and Woden on patrol and Stations firmly under Terran control. All nice red, except three Factories. Blue and steadfastly Argon, despite status quo. Yes, those are "Built by Playername Inc.".

Immovable will and indestructable bodies. The GoD might dare to touch my creations, but such reports could be Fake News.

Whatever dark curse lingers in the wake of my TL,
I ain't bovvered. :roll:

[*]The war is not good for ATF. The Tyr had only 200MJ and 5MJ shields; no GJ. Rather annoying to keep at low percentages. Somebody, please sell them better gear.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 18:17

Soooooo....

A player built station for a mission is marked mission critical and can never be destroyed? That's an interesting piece of information right there.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 19:27

I'm not sure that it is so. A personal bug? But as said, I'm not hunting bugs in this game.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 19:33

Easy enough to verify. Next time I do a build station mission I'll just see if I can blow it up.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

DrSuperEvil
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by DrSuperEvil » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 20:12

I find stations are randomly marked as mission critical. I have had default NPC stations being wrongly marked as invulnerable.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 20:29

I do many station build missions for the Yaki. Occasionally a Paranid task force comes into OStorm and manages to destroy one of those station, killing my docked CLS freighters along with it.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 21:13

TheDeliveryMan wrote:I do many station build missions for the Yaki. Occasionally a Paranid task force comes into OStorm and manages to destroy one of those station, killing my docked CLS freighters along with it.
Now that you mention it, I remember losing a freighter when a station I built in a pirate sector for a mission got destroyed. Sounds like maybe a bug Jlehtone. Enjoy it!

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 21:27

Sometimes strange things can happen to NPC and player assets in-game when you interrupt the code of an in-progress status transition for that asset (examples of interruptions are such as quick-saving or Alt-Tabbing out). Tabbing back in or reloading a save made in such circumstances can continue to display such 'quirks' (persistent intangible ghost models and/or invulnerable assets).

<Cue X Files music … >
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 21:41

I took a look at Build Station missions; they don't set the stations as invincible, nor did I see anything implicit in the mission director engine that would set them invincible. However, there are bugs in other generic missions which can set selected stations invincible and never reset them to non-invincible. One of the more recent AP patches took a stab at fixing it, but doesn't appear to have caught all the problems.

As an example, the Dual Convoy script will pick the starting and ending stations and flag them invincible when the mission is created. If the mission is accepted by the player, then when it completes (successfully or otherwise) the invincible flags are removed. If the mission is never accepted, though, then the invincibility flags are not removed when the offer is cancelled (by timeout or the player moving too many sectors away). So, as you fly around the universe and skip over Dual Convoy missions, they will leave more and more factories set invincible. This might occur with some other mission types, though that is the only one I checked in detail just now.

(Side note: I sometimes wish the X3 community had joined together to make an unofficial patch to clean out these bugs, similar to what exists in some other games.)

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 21:53

I've been reflecting a bit, while doing other things, and I'm thinking this might be an artifact from the war sector mechanisms.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 22:10

For the faithful in Treasure Chest, yes most likely.

Pirate Factories are a different story. The Dual Convoys are as good suspect as anything. I never did them earlier in the game and I tend to check every mission offer.

Furthermore, I don't "refuse" missions, I just close the comm. There is a "I won't do that"-button, is there? That would leave them all "opened" (except the ones that I take)?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Thu, 20. Sep 18, 22:32

jlehtone wrote:For the faithful in Treasure Chest, yes most likely.

Pirate Factories are a different story. The Dual Convoys are as good suspect as anything. I never did them earlier in the game and I tend to check every mission offer.

Furthermore, I don't "refuse" missions, I just close the comm. There is a "I won't do that"-button, is there? That would leave them all "opened" (except the ones that I take)?
I think they "close" automatically after a period of time, or after you enter some limiting number of sectors. I don't think it makes any difference whether you just close the coms or choose the "no" option. In either case you can still reopen the coms and get the same offer as long as you don't wait too long. Sometimes the "no" option is worded in a way that strikes me as just too rude to say.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”