Trump

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 18. Sep 18, 19:25

Knew if I decided to set back and watch then the forum would devolve into dithering and any subject except Donold J. Trump.

I'd guess it's too controversial and ends up with the ditherers slamming anyone with a firm opionion.

Especially if you don't happen to be living under his regime.

Maybe start a thread where you could dither away on topics like media bias, trade policy, etc and STOP TROLLING PEOPLE with firm opinions ON THE TOPIC!

(Just my firm opinion don't you know? :roll: )
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 18. Sep 18, 20:29

Sorry Hank, given the following as context:-

* Trump's attacks on the media
* the involvement (or utilisation?) of "new media" and social media in the 2016 election
* the partisan nature of US politics (and seeming partisan nature of US media)
* the general concern over "fake news"
* the criticism (some warranted) in this thread of how some of us (me included) use links to news reports, reportage and opinion pieces to back up our arguments
* and how people consume news

I think the discussion is on topic and very relevant :).
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 18. Sep 18, 20:46

Trump's been kind of keeping quiet at least quiet for Trump, what with no new allegation against him or him making a pure ass out of himself, He even seems to be keeping a low profile when it comes to Kavanaugh. Basically he is currently not being Trump.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 18. Sep 18, 20:55

RegisterMe:
Sorry Hank, given the following as context:-

* Trump's attacks on the media
* the involvement (or utilisation?) of "new media" and social media in the 2016 election
* the partisan nature of US politics (and seeming partisan nature of US media)
* the general concern over "fake news"
* the criticism (some warranted) in this thread of how some of us (me included) use links to news reports, reportage and opinion pieces to back up our arguments
* and how people consume news
* News media: In the the position that accepting the spin of one one party's position puts it in immediate opposition to the "alternate facts" of the other party. Neutral poitions therefore put it into opposition to both parties. So stop crying about it. Two positions will prevail, either the right or the left.

* 2016 elections: As I said, Putin was the big winner. He got just who he wanted as President of the United States and the question of how he did it has been settled. Now the question is: Is the Trump appointed heads of the National agencies REALLY going to stop Russia, China, Outter Sobovia from doing it again if they feel it's in their interests?

* Partisanship: It's us ot them. Deal with it.

* Fake News: Google "Orwellian" It's now here to such a degree it's just another tool in the box.

* Reportage choices: Well at least I don't try to foist Breitbart off as journalism...

* Consuming News. (Sorry, I've never liked to. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth)

There. That's my take on it.

I'm more concerned with the crime boss and fruitcake setting in the White House.

As for Trump being quiet, how's this? Guess the FBI should stay out of anything except investigating Democrats:

https://youtu.be/7hszL-TYjZA
MIND THE GAP

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 18. Sep 18, 23:04

clakclak wrote:
Mightysword wrote:It's just a thing with me ... I never really bother about the "who" detail. I judge the article based not on who wrote it, but its content, in this case the content is simply bad, and would still be bad even if it was published on a different platform. And it's not like I have not seen something just as bad on another platform. I mean ... if you had found that same article on ABC or CNN or FOX ... would you think it will make it ... less bad? :P
[...]
It would not be less bad, but I would certainly approach an article I found on Xinhua a lot differently than one I found on Reuters.
It is not about bias, bias is expected, problem is content as Mightysword wrote, all the facts should be there, then the writer can give them the bias they prefer. Hiding facts is not acceptable in journalism no is bad practices.

Take the I am part of the Resistance Op-Ed (Opinion - Editorial) by The New York Times.

The author is given anonymity like it was a source of a current investigation by the paper, but it is writing an opinion article and the paper is not going to act on that information.

This has caused a lot of debate within the Journalists of The New York Times and other press professionals, it is a big scoop, it is great news discovering a "Resistance" within the government of the USA and something they strongly feel the public should know about it, if it is true.

But they cannot investigate it, on the one hand the New York Times is protecting the source from their own journalists, on the other, even if they go on their own and find something, their own paper, The New York Times will... well censor them to protect the source.

To top it up, that person, a high official presumably, is now a puppet in the hands of The New York Times, a liability for other presumed "conspirators" and leverage for whoever finds his name.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 00:02

Bias should not exist in news, otherwise it's not news. The clue is in the name...

Of course, news sources may not report all the news in the world - there's so much of it for starters. There's also the matter of public interest. For example, it's not particularly in the public interest of the UK to hear what the President of South Korea said to ... someone. Unless it's going to impact the UK.

Of course, if you dig around on BBC News Worldwide you may actually find more varied news from around the world. But for the vast majority of us, we're not interested in what the Politicians of Chile are saying to each other over the latest Government proposals towards healthcare. It's not going to impact us, and we've a life to live...

News has to be tailored towards (subject wise) the public interest in the country within which they're reporting to. If they're starting to put bias into it, it is (as said) not news. It's an opinion piece.

And for those opinion pieces, there should be sufficient "look around" to determine if you agree or disagree with those opinions. If you don't make any effort and just accept verbatim without any effort, then ... (which is why i find brietbart so surprising when linked as only reference).

I must admit, I do tend to trust what the BBC reports and not make much effort when it comes to that as a source for information (or news). They're usually pretty good. Usually. It could be that I've given them such a level of trust that I'd actually struggle to spot any issues and/or be too lazy to check some of the more important items?

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 00:26

Chips pointed out:
Of course, if you dig around on BBC News Worldwide you may actually find more varied news from around the world.
Speaking of which, I don't envy this man's position:

South Korea's Moon Jae-in: Caught between Trump and Kim - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45543956
MIND THE GAP

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 00:31

But different bias is what makes the press so valuable from a point of view of checks and balances, while the Government and the Judiciary can cancel each other out.

The press is different, their checks and balances depends on competition with each other to report the actual truth, be it regarding the government, political parties or each other, oh, and to be the voice of the people but lets not go into that.

The problem right now is that we are not getting the truth, we are not getting all the facts, we are getting a "listen to me, we are right" message. When actually the press should be at each other throats regarding fake news, misinformation and plain lies, and pretty much cleaning their act.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 00:44

Santi notes:
. When actually the press should be at each other throats regarding fake news, misinformation and plain lies, and pretty much cleaning their act.
Good point, but if you followed op-eds you'd find the one thing that set's Trump off is fact checking him. You point out his "Alternate Facts" and suddenly he's back calling them "The enemy of the people". If you gloss over his "alternate facts" then you are accused of enabling him. American journalism and to some point world journalism is trying to find some middle ground, but can't quite figure on how to do this without coming to the realization that it's only to be done at the sake of journalistic ethics or simply not covering US politics at all.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 00:47

I agree with that. And yet the American (and hence global) audience is in play, because without audience there is no revenue, equally without audience there is no relevance.

It's a captive system, defended by the First Amendment.

EDIT: This was in response to Santi's post above, Hank got in the way :).
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 01:02

Santi wrote:
clakclak wrote:
Mightysword wrote:It's just a thing with me ... I never really bother about the "who" detail. I judge the article based not on who wrote it, but its content, in this case the content is simply bad, and would still be bad even if it was published on a different platform. And it's not like I have not seen something just as bad on another platform. I mean ... if you had found that same article on ABC or CNN or FOX ... would you think it will make it ... less bad? :P
[...]
It would not be less bad, but I would certainly approach an article I found on Xinhua a lot differently than one I found on Reuters.
It is not about bias, bias is expected, problem is content as Mightysword wrote, all the facts should be there, then the writer can give them the bias they prefer. Hiding facts is not acceptable in journalism no is bad practices.

Take the I am part of the Resistance Op-Ed (Opinion - Editorial) by The New York Times.

The author is given anonymity like it was a source of a current investigation by the paper, but it is writing an opinion article and the paper is not going to act on that information.

This has caused a lot of debate within the Journalists of The New York Times and other press professionals, it is a big scoop, it is great news discovering a "Resistance" within the government of the USA and something they strongly feel the public should know about it, if it is true.

But they cannot investigate it, on the one hand the New York Times is protecting the source from their own journalists, on the other, even if they go on their own and find something, their own paper, The New York Times will... well censor them to protect the source.

To top it up, that person, a high official presumably, is now a puppet in the hands of The New York Times, a liability for other presumed "conspirators" and leverage for whoever finds his name.
The paper >>has<< acted on the information. It published it. Presumably (?) it found enough credibility in it that it a) warrented publishing it and b) warrented protecting the anonymity of the source.

Also, I think you're stretching things, a bit. Were "other parts" of the NYT to find out who the source was, independent of the NYT's "corporate/organisational" knowlegde thereof I think they would probably have to go to press with it. If they didn't other news outlets would.....

"High official" defined how? Even Trump's administration defenders agree it could be between a dozen and a few thousand....
"Puppet of the NYT"? If you were running that business would you burn decades of credance on the turn of one burned Trump card?
"..liability for other presumed...", well stop presuming then. Take the infomation in front of you, consume it, interepet, and make of it what you will.
"..leverage.." in other words blackmail, well, good luck with that.

I think we are right to be sceptical of it. Just as we are right to be sceptical of >>all<< the claims in the Woodward book. Equally, to deny >>everything<< would be.... a touch.... silly.
I can't breathe.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 01:44

But it is published as an opinion, so they will not follow it up Registerme, why do The New York Times do that? Imagine the Watergate, Deepthroat, and Woodward and Bernstein saying, right mate, tell you what, very interesting but what we want you to do is to write and Op-Ed about it and that is it, and of course we will protect your identity, and then lets call it a day.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 01:54

Santi caught:
But it is published as an opinion, so they will not follow it up Registerme, why [do] The New York Times do that?
I've been wondering the same thing. NYT has been excusing it in different ways too, but who publishes it directly? Not something you'd expect of (you pointed) out, the Washington Post in the Nixon days and Trump jumped on it just too fast and it was all timed too well as a deflection from Woodward's book coming out. It just stinks from start to finish. I expect sometime in the future to find out it was leaked to the NYT by the Trump team. Time will tell.
MIND THE GAP

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 02:17

Santi wrote:But it is published as an opinion, so they will not follow it up Registerme, why do The New York Times do that? Imagine the Watergate, Deepthroat, and Woodward and Bernstein saying, right mate, tell you what, very interesting but what we want you to do is to write and Op-Ed about it and that is it, and of course we will protect your identity, and then lets call it a day.
Well it was published as an op-ed piece, rather than "opinion". But my point about the NYT or WP or FT or anybody else just letting anybody use them as a platform for an opinion piece stands.....

That aside I think your questions, and your scepticism (damn that was hard to type this late at night) were, and are, very valid.

No edit yet but that took a disproportionate amount of attention to avoid typos.
I can't breathe.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 03:00

RegisterMe wrote:But my point about the NYT or WP or FT or anybody else just letting anybody use them as a platform for an opinion piece stands.....
I totally agree with that, it is very important for people to be hear and have a platform where they can voice their thoughts.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 03:06

Santi wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:But my point about the NYT or WP or FT or anybody else just letting anybody use them as a platform for an opinion piece stands.....
I totally agree with that, it is very important for people to be hear and have a platform where they can voice their thoughts.
Whilst I agree with you, you deliberately misinterpreted what I said.
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 04:59

eg damn those plumbers, or otherwise:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_P ... r_Squadron

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Armou ... n_(Poland)

The latter of which is marvellously understated.
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 05:09

So it took me a while to locate the "delete post" button. I wanted to find it because I had misunderstood where Santi was coming from.

I replied, twice, to Santi, misunderstanding this.

Then I figured it out.

The beauty of discussion, or indeed argument, is to respect the fact that others may disagree with you.
I can't breathe.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 17:35

I'm just posting to try to get my nic on page 500...

Edit: YAY! :)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 19. Sep 18, 21:05

Mightysword wrote:@Fiskal, you missed most of the points:

- It's not about how hard to identify them, it's about the ratio. Maybe it's just me, but when I visit a newsite, I would like most of the content are actual news. Because if I want opinion, I would go to a forum, or reading a blog.

- It's not about you or me identifying something as news or not. It's about these days people treating most thing as news. People can link an opinionated piece as a 'citation' for their 'news' when it's merely a bias opinion of someone who just happens to write something on CNN/Fox. It's not conjecture, it's fact, remember we live in an age when people are accepting social platform like facebook/twitter or even youtube as news source.
I thought the point to be more news savvy.

But with your point right here, I can neither agree nor disagree. Because I cant think of a case when news were more news or opinions were less opinions.

In ideal world - I like my news clear and my opinions concise, and no grey area between the two.

So, you have a publication in mind when you talk about this?

I can maybe toss in Fox News (in US), but I am mostly familiar with them after 2000s. And I dont think they've changed, - they were mostly opinions or opinion filtered news and that's what they are now - not much formula has changed. The only Fox News are less opinions are the local Fox stations that really just report local news.

Return to “Off Topic English”