What am I missing with CLS training

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Sat, 4. Nov 17, 17:49

Trevelvis wrote:I started training pilots for CAG and CLS2, since then I have started to build 2nd resource complexes but using virgin pilots to buy energy but now the products are filling up was wondering if to swap ships with trained pilots to look after my complexes so they would also sell when needed. Was wondering what level pilots would accomplish this, thanks
Ah, right. Well, one option is to turn some of those trained pilots into CAGs - I find that they are rather better (and far less hassle!) than CLS2 at marketing, as they will find buyers on their own. (CLS2 I find really strong for bringing in resources cheaply, given how there are usually a lot less producers of a ware than there are consumers, especially with ECells and ore.) If you want to export effectively via CAG, you'll want them to be jump-capable, so level 4 (cargo messenger/trader) is the ideal minimum (they'll carry on training as CAGs, and at level 6, they become able to go out with a load of product, then swing by a resource supplier on the way back.) If you want to continue using CLS2 to train up pilots, you can use them (CLS2s) to buy (as mentioned above, they're really good at that!), and set your CAGs to "salesman" in the config, so they only export. This is technically slightly less "work-efficient", but I think the gains you score on reliable cheap resourcing make up for that.

Note that you CAN also use CLS2 for export, should you choose, it just requires a helluva lot more work - you have to design routes for all of them, with just the right amount of overlap (enough but not too much - this takes even longer to get right, and constant scrutiny to gauge whether you are saturating the markets segments) - this is because (as mentioned previously), there are many consumers for most wares. The advantage of using CLS2 for distribution, though, is in situations where you want to give certain NPC factories priority - let's say you really want to have, for example, Cluster Flak Arrays available to you whenever you want them - then you might use CLS2 to ensure that the CFA Forges get preferential treatment with their requirements.

Just mentioning this as both paths are viable, it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish, and how much bookkeeping/admin you want to engage in.
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 5. Nov 17, 10:13

Why do I remember that CFA is considered "buggy"? Perfect for example though.

When I build a Complex, I give it credits and hire (an apprentice) CAG (or more). The CAG will level up in orderly fashion and be able to sell by the time there is a need to sell.

Does not actually need a Complex, a single Factory will suffice. Tier 3, preferably.

When the first CAG can sell, force it to be Salesman (will not buy resources) and hire another apprentice.

In other words, in my Station-based economy I convert experienced CAG pilots to CLS duties and not the other way around. If I had no Stations, then CLS2 would be the way.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

ConorC
x4

Post by ConorC » Fri, 14. Sep 18, 13:29

Timsup2nothin is right, don't waste time training them in an M5. Have them work while they're training, stick 'em in a TS so they can actually make some trades.

An Apprentice CLS pilot can only have 4 waypoints, so this will be quite simple.

1. Set up a waypoint in power circle to buy Energy cells from one of the SPPs there. Buy at 13, tell it to fill the cargo bay.

2. Add a waypoint to one of the ore mines, also in power circle, tell it to sell the ecells for 17. and fully unload the cargo bay.

This is enough to get you going, but you will find this ship will stay on standby quite a lot so let's add another way point

3. Add a waypoint to one of the Silicon mines, also in power circle, tell it to sell the ecells for 17. and fully unload the cargo bay.

Remember, a CLS pilot will look at each waypoint and if he can complete it he will. If for whatever reason he can't he will go to the next waypoint, so for example, on the list above, when the pilot finishes waypoint 2, he will look at waypoint 3 and know hat he doesn't have energy cells so he will ignore it and go to the end of the list and then back to the start, and go buy ecels, if the deal is available. If not, he'll go on standby and check every few minutes.

This will quickly level up a CLS pilot, and make you some credits at the same time.

Experiment and see how it works.

EDITED:
And I just realized I necroed this thread, sorry, i didn't mean to :(

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Sat, 15. Sep 18, 02:06

Less than a year. Heck this zombie is hardly even stinking.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”