Need help with problems installing the game from a boxed copy

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mazryonh
x3tc

Need help with problems installing the game from a boxed copy

Post by Mazryonh » Sun, 26. Aug 18, 04:16

I've gotten back into the X-Universe after a long hiatus, and I need some help dealing with problems I've been getting from a boxed copy of X3: Gold Edition from IGS Games containing the following:
  • X3: Reunion 2.5 with Bala Gi Missions
  • X3: Terran Conflict 2.5 with Aldrin Missions
Right after I installed X3: Reunion and got back into the X-Universe, instead of hearing the series' excellent soundtrack I've come to know and love for a long time, I just got a very loud buzzing noise. This happens right away with the intro movies to the game, and persists throughout gameplay even.

Turning up the volume shows that the music (or at least parts of it) is still playing, but not without all the loud buzzing. The only way for me to get rid of the buzzing noise is to turn off the music for X3: Reunion entirely. I haven't tried installing X3: Terran Conflict yet but I have a feeling it would have the same problem.

I checked the MP3 files in the game's soundtrack directory and they all play just fine with no buzzing sound, so the problem can't be the soundtrack files themselves. Turning EAX on and off in the game's launch menu does nothing about the buzzing either. No other applications on my computer have this audio problem, so it's not my audio hardware. Can anyone help me here? Am I missing a patch or something?

Also, before you tell me to go and buy the Steam versions instead, I would like to avoid having to buy the games all over again if at all possible. However, I would also like to know if there is any way I can buy the Albion Prelude add-on for my boxed copy of Terran Conflict, without needing to buy the Steam version of Terran Conflict as well.

Sinxar
x4

Re: Need help with problems installing the game from a boxed copy

Post by Sinxar » Sun, 26. Aug 18, 07:10

Mazryonh wrote:Also, before you tell me to go and buy the Steam versions instead, I would like to avoid having to buy the games all over again if at all possible. However, I would also like to know if there is any way I can buy the Albion Prelude add-on for my boxed copy of Terran Conflict, without needing to buy the Steam version of Terran Conflict as well.
Why would you need to rebuy it? https://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq ... &version=9

Supposedly works for Reunion too as long as you have your registration codes.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. Aug 18, 13:15

For X3TC, just register your game on Steam as per this sticky thread at the top of the forum. You will then be able to update it to the latest version and buy X3AP without re-buying X3TC.
Sinxar wrote:Supposedly works for Reunion too as long as you have your registration codes.
No, it doesn't. See the last part of the sticky thread.

Regarding the sound issues, please post in the Tech Support forum for the game you are having problems with and remember to include a [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url] report so that people have some chance of being able to help you diagnose the problem. It's very likely to be a driver or codec issue, as other people who have experienced similar problems have solved them by fixing issues with these.

Mazryonh
x3tc

Post by Mazryonh » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 00:09

CBJ wrote:Regarding the sound issues, please post in the Tech Support forum for the game you are having problems with and remember to include a DXDiag report so that people have some chance of being able to help you diagnose the problem. It's very likely to be a driver or codec issue, as other people who have experienced similar problems have solved them by fixing issues with these.
I'll try that and see if someone can help me there.

I don't think my DVD version of X3TC has a registration code, unless it's on the disc somewhere. I'll have to check again.

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 02:34

It's on the box, not the disc.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 11:54

Mazryonh wrote:I don't think my DVD version of X3TC has a registration code, unless it's on the disc somewhere. I'll have to check again.
I'm pretty sure it does, as you have registered it in your forum profile. :)

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Post by Bill Huntington » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 14:28

I just checked again. It's printed on the back of the manual.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 27. Aug 18, 16:29

As CBJ advised, you can also get it from the forum once you have registered it there - 'How to' FAQ. Also here is a more general Sticky about finding registration codes.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Mazryonh
x3tc

Post by Mazryonh » Wed, 29. Aug 18, 03:22

Bill Huntington wrote:I just checked again. It's printed on the back of the manual.
Actually no, my version came with a soundtrack CD (but no manual) and the registration code was on that.

However, that still leaves me with the question of how I can register my boxed copy of X3:TC on Steam to buy Albion Prelude, since it's not a Steam game. Can someone give me a web link, perhaps on a Steam page?

Fulgrymm
x4

Post by Fulgrymm » Wed, 29. Aug 18, 04:09

Load up Steam, go to the top where it says Games, and then click Activate a Product on Steam. Put the code in, and voila, done deals.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 29. Aug 18, 13:04

Also there's help in the relevant FAQ.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”