Titanic

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jlehtone
x4

Titanic

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 18. Aug 18, 10:51

RMS Titanic had some incident on its maiden voyage. Whether influenced by that or not, I took a habit early in X3R with new (big) ship types. I would order a ship remotely and equip it completely with MORTs. Only when the ship was all ready I would enter the sector, board the ship, launch, and immediately jump ...

... to Xenon 472. Some test drives completed with flying colours. Others were shorter than Titanic had, with less survivors.

The tradition has continued to this day, although there are less and less untested vessels remaining. Debriefing from the latest:

Vessel was ready by the Split buoy in Family Njy. PSP front, Gauss sides, FLAK the rest. Short jump to East Gate of 472.

Semi-predictably, the Xenon had four Qs and a K nearby. The Qs are fast in this context. Without essential bad moves we were in crossfire. Shields did drop rapidly.

I chose a tactical retreat. However, shields failed and JD took a direct hit while Betty was still counting. I hope you all (don't) know that feeling. At the lounge of Goner Insurance Office you have heard numerous tales of how such initial dent surrounded by very red fleet rapidly escalates into total loss of all equipment, hull, and life.

Goner Insurance is a good option, if you wan't to skip the inevitable. (Some Squids on a Mission don't have that.) How do the Goners afford the insurance? It's dirty cheap for the customers. :?

However, the crew agreed to make a last stand first, before contacting the Goners. Just to see if we could take at least one annoying Q with us. No high hopes, but everyone did what they could.

What followed was relatively short, but longer than expected. Not exactly a furball, considering all the tincans arounds. Then the battle was over; Xenon I did deliver coup de grâce. :xenon:

Not a Titanic story. Titanic did sink. We did not call the Goners after all. We did call our MORT to deliver a new JumpDrive, for we had no intention to fly to repairs with our behemoth I-01.

Better late than never?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 18. Aug 18, 22:47

I guess the Xenon didn't expect that, did they? :)

AleksMain
x3tc

Post by AleksMain » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 13:05

Not exactly Titanic, but ...

In the recent restart of the X3 I used Kestrel to scout unexplored sectors. My own Notus Hauler has been busy, defending friendly station.
Just after moment, when I have capped second Pirate Nova Raider, I looked at the list of the owned property and found, that my Kestrel is absent.
In the message log was one last message: "Your Kestrel was destroyed by Pirate Harrier ...".
"Expected loss." I thought and bought another Kestrel to continue scout mission.
Last edited by AleksMain on Mon, 20. Aug 18, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 19. Aug 18, 23:43

Xenon Q and Xenon J are like the Kestrel: You fire a shot and run away. You fire a shot and run away. You fire a shot and run away. ...

I prefer Split ships. They can shoot more shots and then run away faster :P
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”