EnglishGermanFrenchRussianItalianSpanish
Log inRegister
 
A Non-Racist Discussion About Idris Elba And James Bond
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
Alien Tech Inc.



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 28 Mar 2009
Posts: 658 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 20:07    Post subject: A Non-Racist Discussion About Idris Elba And James Bond Reply with quote Print

So apparently, according to some sources, Idris Elba is in the front running by the producers to play James Bond in the next movie.
I have no issue with his skin colour or his acting skills, but there was a popular theory doing the rounds (and it's a theory I came up with as a kid, but I accept other people came up with it as well) that James Bond is just a code name and that explains why his look keeps changing. This theory could explain why Idris Elba is James Bond.

There is a slight problem, however ... the producers shot down this idea.

They maintain that James Bond is his real name and he's always been the same person, despite different people playing him. Which is all well and good, except when you have a major change like The Doctor being played by a woman ... oh wait, wrong franchise, and that franchise has its explanation. The James Bond franchise doesn't have that explanation. How are they going to explain Elba's Bond meeting people Craig's Bond met and not raising an eyebrow at such a major change.

Yes I am talking about Idris' skin colour, but no, I'm not racist. I'll happily accept a black Bond or a female Bond or a Bond that's a terminating machine with a metal skeleton and an Austrian accent who promises he'll be back (in the next film), if there's a logical explanation for the changes. The producers aren't embracing that.

I am curious what you think.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Antilogic





Joined: 06 Apr 2005
Posts: 590 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

So I'm not a James Bond fan, but interesting discussion.

My thoughts as an outsider is.... it doesn't matter. You hire the best person for the job. For Doctor Who, hiring a women - no difference, so long as that person provides for a good show.

In Harry Potter, there was a fuss because Hermione Granger was played by a white girl in the films, but a black one in the play. Again, it doesn't make any difference. When watching a show, film, or whatever there is a certain degree of separation between reality and the show, which I take into account when watching. And if the producers of the show can provide a better experience by ignoring the race or gender of the previous incarnation of the show, then by all means.

Hell, theater has had men and women playing each others gender and cross dressing for centuries.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tamina





Joined: 26 Jan 2014



PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Too bad they shot down the code name theory, now it bothers me a little that the actors changed through the whole franchise.
And thats it.
I couldn't care less.


*Edit: People outraged because of Daniel Craig playing James Bond, so I am in my shelter if anyone needs me.


_________________
Code:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ   /
 じしf_, )ノ
This is Tamina. Copy Tamina to your signature to help her achieve world domination.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjknibbs



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 28271 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I don't see that all the white middle-aged Bonds are so similar that you wouldn't expect people they've met to be a bit surprised to see them, so I'm with Antilogic; it just doesn't matter. Idris Elba is a fine actor who effortlessly comes across as a badass, and I think he'll make a great Bond.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morkonan





Joined: 25 Sep 2011
Posts: 1602 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 21:08    Post subject: Re: A Non-Racist Discussion About Idris Elba And James Bond Reply with quote Print

Alien Tech Inc. wrote:
...I am curious what you think.


If they're looking at him for the role because he is the best choice as an actor for a lead action role, I am in favor of it. If they are looking at him for the role because he's black and they want to capitalize on that, I am against it.

As far as the name "James Bond" goes, it's always been his actual name. He supposed to be the same person through all the films, never mind the fact that he'd have trouble skydiving with a walker by now.

In speaking for "canon" I have no issue at all if they wanted to keep him "white." (Caucasian) That makes sense, considering his past adventures. The story is "the story" and, unfortunately, that would mean that some of the story either didn't happen or is too absurd given later revisions of "race."

I would, however, point out that there have been a number of black "Bond Girls." Nobody seemed to mind those very much. So, maybe it would work, with some purposeful ignoring of certain Bond storylines?

https://people.com/movies/idris-elba-is-being-considered-for-james-bond-as-producer-says-it-is-time-for-diversity/

Quote:
...According to Fuqua, Broccoli said “it is time” a diverse actor takes on the role if Craig, 50, retires as James Bond in the next film. Fuqua told The Daily Star that Broccoli believes casting an ethnic minority actor in place of Craig “will happen eventually.”...


"It's time for diversity" - I generally don't like that. It's not that I don't like "diversity" it's that I get tired of producers shoehorning in "diversity" and then pointing it at it like they have just become righteous white knights on some sort of crusade.

Either his ability and qualities as an actor means he is the best choice for the role or it doesn't. (I don't know his body of work, so can't speak to that.)

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
radcapricorn





Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 378 on topic

Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

It doesn't matter so long as he's a good Bond, at least. And if he's not, well, then he's not. M changed not just appearance, but gender (and IMO, for the better). And Q... well, Q is Q, they're supposed to be weird. What's to fret about anyway? They'd probably do a reboot in like 5 years. Everybody loves reboots these days.

PS. Connery's still the best Bond ever Razz

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RegisterMe



MEDAL

Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 714 on topic
Location: London, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

radcapricorn wrote:
It doesn't matter so long as he's a good Bond, at least. And if he's not, well, then he's not. M changed not just appearance, but gender (and IMO, for the better). And Q... well, Q is Q, they're supposed to be weird. What's to fret about anyway? They'd probably do a reboot in like 5 years. Everybody loves reboots these days.

PS. Connery's still the best Bond ever Razz


Agreed, apart from the PS. Smile.

The biggest shift in Bond film approaches was with the first scene of the first Daniel Craig Bond. All that slightly smarmy, slightly superior, slightly tongue in cheek Bond of yore was.... challenged (in a good way imho), violently.

The colour of somebody's skin? pfft. Idris Elba wouldn't be a great Bond because he is black. He'd be a great Bond because he'd be a great Bond.


_________________
Gavrushka wrote:
The problem with 'freedom of speech' is it makes wackos think they have something of value to say.

*WE WANT THE amtct BACK*


Rapier's search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
berth



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2004
Posts: 614 on topic
Location: rhubarb rhubarb
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Fri, 10. Aug 18, 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm sure his name came up a few years ago for this.

I loved him in The Wire. Luther was quite bad but he was good in it. Heimdal, meh, but not his fault probably.

On the one hand, he (Elba) can do suave and handy very well but, on the other, I think he is too old to start a Bond career. He is 45 now, Craig was 38 when he started. A quick google suggests that most actors play Bond for about ten years and surely nobody wants a return to the Roger Moore era!

So, yeah, a few years back, sure but now, no. Sorry, Idris.

Edit: I liked Dalton's Bond, although the Craig has also been pretty good.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felter





Joined: 09 Nov 2002
Posts: 45 on topic
Location: Livingston,Scotland
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 00:32    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I haven't read what else has been said here so i don't know if this has been said already.

James Bond should be played by a white man, he was written as a white man so a white man should play him. Now I don't say this as any kind of racism, it's just that James Bond is a white guy. Now some will say but a Black guy can act just as well as a white guy, which is true but a black guy should not be playing a white character which James Bond is. If it was turned around and say T'Challa (black panther) was going to be played by a white guy, the black community would be up in arms and quite rightly so, because T'Challa is a black guy, just like James Bond is a white guy so should only be played by a white guy.


_________________
I'm not saying he is a Russian asset, I'm saying he sat on his asset when he was supposed to be confronting Putin.
#AlertTheDaycareStaff #denturedonald
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketraar
Moderator (Português)
Moderator (Português)

MEDALMEDAL

Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 8574 on topic
Location: Guimarães (Portugal)
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 01:03    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

I'm not saying its right or wrong, but a white guy playing a role of a non-white is nothing short of common though, including full on black-face, so...

MFG

Ketraar

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
berth



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2004
Posts: 614 on topic
Location: rhubarb rhubarb
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 01:14    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

Given that this is hypothetical..

I don't think it matters, so long as they don't go all blaxploitation.

After all, the James Bond character is Scottish but how many actors have portrayed him as that? Only Connery had the accent, Brosnan is Irish (maybe close enough for the US) and the rest are English I believe.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjknibbs



MEDALMEDALMEDAL

Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 28271 on topic
Location: UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 03:25    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

berth wrote:

On the one hand, he (Elba) can do suave and handy very well but, on the other, I think he is too old to start a Bond career. He is 45 now, Craig was 38 when he started.


Three previous Bonds (Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Brosnan) were over 40 when they first appeared as Bond. (The latter two also spent less than ten years in the role, as it happens). If you include the original "Casino Royale" from the 60s you can add David Niven to that list, who was 57 at the time! Moore, Brosnan and Connery were all older than Idris Elba is now when they *last* appeared as Bond.

I think Elba probably has 2 or 3 Bond movies in him before he definitely starts getting too old for the part, so let's give him a chance and see what he can do.

@berth: Timothy Dalton is Welsh, FYI. Smile

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RegisterMe



MEDAL

Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 714 on topic
Location: London, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 04:19    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

felter wrote:
I haven't read what else has been said here so i don't know if this has been said already.

James Bond should be played by a white man, he was written as a white man so a white man should play him. Now I don't say this as any kind of racism, it's just that James Bond is a white guy. Now some will say but a Black guy can act just as well as a white guy, which is true but a black guy should not be playing a white character which James Bond is. If it was turned around and say T'Challa (black panther) was going to be played by a white guy, the black community would be up in arms and quite rightly so, because T'Challa is a black guy, just like James Bond is a white guy so should only be played by a white guy.


I disagree. James Bond is quintessentially British. The colour of his (or her) skin is not.

I would agree that Iam Flemming's original vision was... of its time. But I would also think that Ian Flemming's thoughts would have moved on some.


_________________
Gavrushka wrote:
The problem with 'freedom of speech' is it makes wackos think they have something of value to say.

*WE WANT THE amtct BACK*


Rapier's search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felter





Joined: 09 Nov 2002
Posts: 45 on topic
Location: Livingston,Scotland
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 05:16    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

RegisterMe wrote:


I disagree. James Bond is quintessentially British. The colour of his (or her) skin is not.

I would agree that Iam Flemming's original vision was... of its time. But I would also think that Ian Flemming's thoughts would have moved on some.


you can't have it both

Quote:
Iam Flemming's original vision was


That is it, he was a British white man, you just can't change it because you want to be politically correct. If you go along with the logic you are using, then yes a white man can be black panther, as you do get white Africans and that is just wrong. They are pushing for the correct ethnicity to play the roles in Hollywood, you seem to think that does not include British white men, as there are also British black men, but it shouldn't work like that. Bond was was always white, never was he seen as being black and that is how it should stay.

I have nothing against a Black man playing a spy or super hero, but you have to create that persona, you just can't change a persona for correctness.


_________________
I'm not saying he is a Russian asset, I'm saying he sat on his asset when he was supposed to be confronting Putin.
#AlertTheDaycareStaff #denturedonald
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
red assassin





Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Posts: 593 on topic
Location: Oxford, UK
Thank you for registering your game
PostPosted: Sat, 11. Aug 18, 07:54    Post subject: Reply with quote Print

felter wrote:
RegisterMe wrote:


I disagree. James Bond is quintessentially British. The colour of his (or her) skin is not.

I would agree that Iam Flemming's original vision was... of its time. But I would also think that Ian Flemming's thoughts would have moved on some.


you can't have it both

Quote:
Iam Flemming's original vision was


That is it, he was a British white man, you just can't change it because you want to be politically correct. If you go along with the logic you are using, then yes a white man can be black panther, as you do get white Africans and that is just wrong. They are pushing for the correct ethnicity to play the roles in Hollywood, you seem to think that does not include British white men, as there are also British black men, but it shouldn't work like that. Bond was was always white, never was he seen as being black and that is how it should stay.

I have nothing against a Black man playing a spy or super hero, but you have to create that persona, you just can't change a persona for correctness.

The Bond books were written in the 50s. I don't see you complaining about all the other changes that have been made to update the character and the world in the last 50 years - Bond and the world he works in, you may have noticed, are more than a little different in the films than the books! - and yet you're suddenly very specifically insistent that he has to be white for the integrity of the character? Uh huh. MI6 isn't a bunch of white Oxbridge men any more, and neither should Bond be.


_________________
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum
Control Panel
Login Data
The time now is Sat, 18. Aug 18, 01:04

All times are GMT + 2 Hours

[ Disclaimer / Impressum ] | [ Privacy Policy / Datenschutz ]

Board Security

Copyright © EGOSOFT 1989-2018
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Template created by Avatar & BurnIt!
Debug: page generation = 0.12411 seconds, sql queries = 29