It's only take me 10 years to get here

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

bl3ek
x4

It's only take me 10 years to get here

Post by bl3ek » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 14:02

Hi all,

I purchased X3TC at release and only ever played for 6 hours on Steam, the initial learning curve must have put me off because I completely forgot about the game.

Fastforward 10 years and I bought Rebirth after getting the bug playing No Man's Sky NEXT - which made me want something with more depth.

However, after 10 hours in Rebirth there are many things that put me off (space stations, highways and too much pew-pew).

So I'm giving X3 another chance, having bought AP yesterday and working my way through tutorials on YouTube.

This question is, after 10 years, which quality of life mods should I install?

I currently have LIFE, TC plots and IEX.

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 14:06

ps: this game stills looks great on a 34" 1440p... especially now I've found an 11pt font mod so my eyes aren't watering! :D

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 16:49

If this is your first honest attempt, my personal suggestion would be to play vanilla. Letting mods in may skew your impression of the game, as many of mods implement someone else's vision.
There's plenty to do with what the game (plus bonus pack) have as it is. The better way to approach would be to feel it out, see what you yourself are missing in terms of control, etc. and see if there are mods to help with that. That way you'd be playing your game, not the next person's over.

jlehtone
x4

Re: It's only take me 10 years to get here

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 16:54

bl3ek wrote:This question is, after 10 years, which quality of life mods should I install?
Since you do ask in the Universe Forum, which is about the vanilla games, and not in the X3TC/AP S&M Forum https://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=94 that is about mods ...

... the obvious answer is the Bonuspack https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=276039 that is degreed part of vanilla, so not really a "mod" at all.

One should first know what is in the vanilla. Once you know that, you know where you desire more "quality", and more importantly can assign blame appropriately. If you encounter "undesirables" in a modded game, can you tell whether that is vanilla issue that you have not modded yet, or a quirk of your mods?

The S&M Forum has threads of the mods.

EDIT: Some ninja-mod apparently moved the thread pre-emptively. :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

bl3ek
x4

Post by bl3ek » Tue, 31. Jul 18, 17:26

Thanks both, you make fair comments.

I do have the bonus packs installed via Steam, so I'll stick to the simple mods I have already (TC plots in AP and the graphic enhancements).

To be fair, I did test the graphic change before and after to see if I liked the difference instead of assuming I would and running with it. :)

ConorC
x4

Post by ConorC » Wed, 22. Aug 18, 11:35

Agreed, give the vanilla game with Bonus Pack a go first. There's plenty of info and help on these forums.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”